Ignacio Wins 3 Day Utah 1088!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
It's shameless self promotion, but I rode a monster ride to win the 2011 Utah 1088 3 day event and just have to share.

While it was a rally we were handed bonus pack weeks in advance and had to declare a route....the rallymaster threw everything on its ear the night before and changed the Iron Butt checkpoint in New York worth nearly quadruple the points. 9 riders aimed to Cheektowaga, NY with about 6 making it back in time.

Top 10 Finishers:

194243 - Watkins

167509 - Beaulac

152200 - Barnes

141366 - Bachman (rookie)

132711 - Kerkhof

110694 - Roberts

109093 - White

106622 - Stovall

105251 - Lindom

101853 - Tebbs

In addition also completed a Bun Burner Gold Trifecta by riding 4500+ miles in the 3 days. About 10 or 12 have done this before...but I'm not aware any that were done during a rally and probably few involved riding east of the Mississippi.

2011-Utah-1088-Final1.jpg

The first 4000 miles are the easy part. It's the last 500-600 miles that are truly the test. ;)

Also of note were the 2nd and 3rd place finishes by RenoJohn and beerme in the 12 hour event. They reported successfully riding the 12 hour event without having to take a nap AND still squeezing in 3 sit down meals to the rally. Congrats guys. :clapping:

photo33.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats. Was really cool following you on both your blog and the IBR threads as the two rallys became intermixed

:clapping: :clapping:

Congrats and a high five!

I'm sure your new paint scheme had something to do with winning. The more you ride, the dirtier your bike gets and the less yellow you see. :yahoo:

Congrats, between this and the IBR it's making my butt sore reading all the threads, close to 1,400 on the IBR thread :lol:

Congrats! Serious miles, my friend, serious miles. :clapping:

Here's knowing that some of your winning way rubbed off on Dick Peek during your photo session.

I see a few other names on your list besides those two low life's that you mentioned that also look familiar. Congrats to those folks too.

4500 miles in 3 days?!? :blink: Dayum!

Congrats!

Had I know you were riding through Columbus I woulda hunted you down and given you the salute! :finger:

Pardon the interuption guys - I do not post over here much but I am compelled to give out proper Kudos to Matt. The good Mayor pulled off what I feel is one of the best rally performances I have seen in my 11 or so years of Long Distance Rallying.

I was in this rally and passed on the straight shot to New York figuring it was just too difficult to do that ALONE with all the road construction, financial deficit in Ohio and Illinois (if you all know what I mean) and the slow speeds once you cross the Mississippi (boy I hate riding in the East).

Matt not only did that but he picked up some of the gnarliest bonuses that I picked up on my "baby" route. And I will tell you that loop off I-80 up to Iowa and across to Milwaukee is S-L-O-W. Not only this, Matt managed to turn in ALL of the freebie bonuses including getting in line to shoot a pistol after the start, doing a call-in, getting rest bonuses, taking a sunset picture etc, etc...

I may have an idea of which I speak. I was the other person standing there while Warchild was finishing 7 back to back BBG's and I am here to tell you that this ride, what Matt did, is in that category of difficulty - not in pure endurance but just for PLAIN AMAZING FACTOR. Yeah, you go out and do three of these on roads of someone elses choosing, take the first hour off to target shoot, stop at three hotels, document some 19 bonuses (one you even had to find a single fish mounted inside a Cabellas) and oh by the way go through, Chicago, Cleveland, Kansas City, St. Louis and Denver on the way.

Matt, I am sorry you had to be the one to start this thread. I should have done it for you. Damn what a ride!!

Brian R.

Had I know you were riding through Columbus I woulda hunted you down and given you the salute! :finger:
There were at least a few forum members I thought about as I rode around the country remembering they lived nearby. Sandusky, OH was one of them I gave a wave to...and one from a person no longer on this forum I checked my 6 for. ;)

It's shameless self promotion, but I rode a monster ride to win the 2011 Utah 1088 3 day event and just have to share.

In addition also completed a Bun Burner Gold Trifecta by riding 4500+ miles in the 3 days. About 10 or 12 have done this before...but I'm not aware any that were done during a rally and probably few involved riding east of the Mississippi.

[The first 4000 miles are the easy part. It's the last 500-600 miles that are truly the test. ;)

Congrads on a great ride and the Trifecta!! Well Done !!

I was the second guy to do the trifecta. Started way east of the Mississippi , Stroudsburg Pa.. Leg 2 of my Tri was With Out a fuel cell due to fuel pump issue, something line 12 fuel stops leg 2.