Ignacio's Law #1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... People came running over to him at every stop to talk with him about his unique and cool motorcycle, not one person came over to say anything about my BMW K1600 except for a couple of guys from Germany, then they went over to talk with Harley Guy for an hour.
I'd much rather be riding for an hour than talking to people who want to talk about Harleys.

Hmmm.

WTF am I doing spending time posting on a Forum talking about Harleys?
fool.gif

So I'm a hypocrite amongst my many other characteristics.
As long as it didn't take you an hour to make that last post, yer still good.

... People came running over to him at every stop to talk with him about his unique and cool motorcycle, not one person came over to say anything about my BMW K1600 except for a couple of guys from Germany, then they went over to talk with Harley Guy for an hour.
I'd much rather be riding for an hour than talking to people who want to talk about Harleys....
A few weeks ago sister-in-law finally reached the end of patience to stand and wait while Bobby talked (and talked and talked) at ever stop. Now it is Bobby and she is in search of a replacement (Harley only) driver.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd make a wise ass crack about them Motoguzzi riders and their ass-backwards engines, but why pile on when they're already sidelined waiting for parts to arrive. It'd just be cruel, really.
Technically, they are sideways, not backwards, but the rest seems accurate.

The same is universally true for any motorcycles made in Italy. Here's a list of currently active Italian MC companies:

Those Italians should probably just stick to making shoes and handbags.
rolleyes.gif
So now we have gone from bashing Harley Davidson to bashing Italians.

Good job, Fred.

Not just the Italians. What about those crappy Brit bikes? Those things are garbage.

Those Austrian KTMs break down like it's their job.

The German bikes break down all the time and they cost too much to begin with.

...Not just the Italians. What about those crappy Brit bikes? Those things are garbage.

Those Austrian KTMs break down like it's their job.

The German bikes break down all the time and they cost too much to begin with.
Chinese?

Thinking the OP should have known this thread would go so off topic almost immediately, even if bashing the products of different nations isn't technically "politics". :p

;)

Thinking the OP should have known this thread would go so off topic almost immediately......
tongue.png

wink.png
Thank you, your observation is timely. You're helping me along the way to assembling a manifesto:

Ignacio's Conjecture #1:

As a thread is introduced to an online motorcycle discussion, the probability it will stay on topic is inversely proportional to the detail of the title

No, not so far off topic at all. It is merely a Motorcycle Forum abstraction of the Internet Predictable Decay Theory. It goes something like this:

Any on-line motorcycle forum discussion bashing one brand of motorcycles eventually decays to include all other brands of motorcycles, excluding the one that the forum is about.

Thinking the OP should have known this thread would go so off topic almost immediately...... :p ;)
Thank you, your observation is timely. You're helping me along the way to assembling a manifesto:

Ignacio's Conjecture #1:

As a thread is introduced to an online motorcycle discussion, the probability it will stay on topic is inversely proportional to the detail of the title

So, the more detailed the title, the less likely it is to stay on topic? If so, doesn't that suggest that thread titles like "A thought." or "Some conjecture." are preferable (in avoiding thread jacking) to such titles as "Observations re: the aerodynamic stability of Gen. III FJRs after installation of a top box." ?

I think I'd be more inclined to agree with your conjecture if you said it was directly proportional. :)

With the passage of time many laws become obsolete. There used to be a law on this forum that EVERY thread had to include bashing and insulting POS Gen 2 FJRs. Thank goodness that law was finally removed from the books. I personally had to file over 50 individual Hurt Feelings Reports with the FJR Forum legal department during my early years on this forum. Were it not for the therapy I received free of charge on the ST1300 forums I might not have survived.

So, should we just talk about FJRs? Should we just focus all our effort and time on this one wonderful motorcycle? Since I love motorcycles in general and there are so many options out there it is difficult for my feeble mind to stay focused on only one. I wish there were several more parked in my garage and I wish one of them was a Harley Road King. It just so happens that Harley Davidson sells more motorcycles in the United States than anyone else. There are so many and such slow moving easy targets...

I say we embrace this new legislation. I say since it is now law that Harley must be mentioned in every discussion we turn our creative talents to discovering new and clever ways to add Harley to every topic. Remember, it is The Law. Ignacio said so.

I say we embrace this new legislation. I say since it is now law that Harley must be mentioned in every discussion we turn our creative talents to discovering new and clever ways to add Harley to every topic. Remember, it is The Law. Ignacio said so.
I'm going to belabor this point because I don't want there to be any confusion.

This law is like a sarcastic version of E=MC2 or the quadratic equation .....not a Code of Federal Regulation or somehow twisted to be a forum rule...even in jest. I've never said anything that should be confused with "legislate", "must", or "Ignacio said" as some sort of mandate....PLEASE stop going down this line. If you need snarky material for this thread please start here.

Thank---you.

Each new thread is started at the pinnacle it will ever reach, then the inevitable force of entropy takes over and the thread will decay. Sometimes it takes a while, and others it is a rapid decay. The means of thread decay can start with shitty Gen II bikes, then drops to Harleys and rapidly plunges into various animals and deviant sex. By this time the thread has become uniformly wiped out, yet contains the same common lowest denominator we keep coming back to, thread after thread.

Entropy - (edited to reduce the 6.87E4 pages to a relevant few)

* A measure of the disorder or randomness in a closed system.
* A measure of the loss of information in a transmitted message.
* The tendency for all matter and energy in the universe to evolve toward a state of inert uniformity.
* Inevitable and steady deterioration of a system or society.

And that's all I have to say about that.
smile.png

Finally this forum is becoming fun again! I always sleep better at night after reading deserved Harley bashing posts. I hate getting stuck behind a Harley herd on the best twisties I've traveled 600 miles to hammer.

Bill

THIS is why we make fun of Harleys:

One day I picked up my two youngest daughters from their sitter's house. We came to a stoplight and stopped in traffic. Ahead of us to our left was a Harley with a man in front and his female passenger on the back. They were dressed in typical Harley garb. The woman had one of those long flowing do-rag things on.

My middle daughter, who was 6 at the time asked why they weren't wearing helmets. We had a small conversation about how some people just choose not to wear them. She was attentive and ended with, "But we wear helmets. Right dad?"

It was about then that my 5 year old blurted out, "How come that lady is dressed like a pirate?" OMG...I almost lost it. I was laughing so hard my stomach hurt. FWIW, I have never used that term around my kids. I've never called Harley riders 'pirates' or crotch rocket riders 'squids.' So, for her to put it together that that lady was dressed like a pirate says it all.

Kind of like when a 5 year old says your the fattest person they have ever seen. If you hear that, it's probably time to go on a diet. They have keen senses and no filters. When a 5 year old says you look like a pirate, you should rethink your wardrobe...Unless you're actually a pirate.

That was super funny and is reason enough to tease them for dressing like douchtards.

What's wrong with dressing like a pirate every day? That sounds like a lot of fun.

"We aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre the pirates".

I think this might be as good a place to post this as any as it does not really fit in anywhere.

My Harley riding cousin called me this evening. He has some concerns about the safety of his favorite uncle, my own Dear Old Dad.

"Did you know that your Dad has been taking some rides lately? Do you know that he is riding that bike really hard? I've seen him, some of my friends have seen him, he is really pushing that bike hard. All that grumpy old man riding slow stuff is just when he is riding with us."

My reply? "Yeah I know exactly what he is doing. I look at his tires every time I am over there and that tells me everything."

And I am starting to understand more about why he gets so grouchy on some of our family motorcycle trips. I think he is fussing at me about our speed not because he is worried about himself but because he is worried about the Harley and the GoldWing following him.