Ignition fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi FJRGuy

If you are interested in making one I posted everything you need to know at the beginning of this thread. The connectors are shipped from Japan, the other components are domestic. There should not be any problem obtaining the parts. Several people have indeed done just that. The neat thing about building one yourself is you can stand back when you're done and say with pride... "I made that".

That said, I have several left from the last build that I can drop in UPS tonight, you can have it within days (UPS Ground - or sooner). If you want to go that route just make the request here in this thread and I will send you a PM with the PayPal details.

Hope to hear from you soon. :)

Brodie

Brodie,

UPS tracking says I get my relay tomorrow. I'll install it in my '04 tomorrow night and, fingers crossed, it will fix WHATEVER is wrong with my FJR.

I'm countin' on ya, bud! :)

Brodie,
UPS tracking says I get my relay tomorrow. I'll install it in my '04 tomorrow night and, fingers crossed, it will fix WHATEVER is wrong with my FJR.

Wake up there RH. The dream is over.

Me thinks you are going to need a voodoo high priestess and the sacrificing of some chickens to exsorcise whatever demons possess your FJR. :eek:

Brodie,

Me thinks you are going to need a voodoo high priestess and the sacrificing of some chickens to exsorcise whatever demons possess your FJR. :eek:
I don't think chicken flaying is gonna help. Go check the latest update. :(

Now that the ignition switch recall seems to have fewer people thinking about Brodie relays, I was wondering...

Could the Brodie relay be modified to power a Blue Sea fuse block? I'm sure there are people who would appreciate a plug and play switched power source to their fuse blocks.

It seems like a good idea to me.

Although the Yamaha recall claims to have addressed the switch meltdown issue, it really only doubled the contact area (halving the switch's resistance). Even after installing the updated switch, you are still running a buttload of current through that switch. The Brodie relay, or some other means to divert the brunt of the current, would still be excellent insurance against another melt down.

But I would like to see a sanitary, plug and play harness and relay made available for powering accessory power panels, for a similar price as the Brodie Relay mod.

I bet one could sell a bunch of them in addition to the switch Bypass mods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although the Yamaha recall claims to have addressed the switch meltdown issue, it really only doubled the contact area (halving the switch's resistance). Even after installing the updated switch, you are still running a buttload of current through that switch. The Brodie relay, or some other means to divert the brunt of the current, would still be excellent insurance against another melt down.
But I would like to see a sanitary, plug and play harness and relay made available for powering accessory power panels, for a similar price as the Brodie Relay mod.

I bet one could sell a bunch of them in addition to the switch Bypass mods.

I tried adding a second connector for power to a sub panel on the Ignition Relay Harness, I even built one...

DSC00249.jpg

I don't like what I did. It taps into the bike wiring for added load. That's the dirty way to do it. The better way is to come straight off the battery with 10 gage red and black, through a large fuse, pick up the switched headlight relay signal on the way to the back of the bike to the sub panel. In fact that's the way I did it last year on my bike. All I need to do is source the proper connectors and components to make it a sanitary plug and play unit.

What I need to know is is there a headlight relay on the first generation bikes. I don't have access to one to see for myself.

I hear you Fred, Joe, I'm working on it. ;)

Brodie

Brodie,

Ya do have a Gremlin Bell attached to the lower portion of ya Feejer donated to ya by another rider, don't ya ??? Ah Oh... :blink:

Brodie,

Ya do have a Gremlin Bell attached to the lower portion of ya Feejer donated to ya by another rider, don't ya ??? Ah Oh... :blink:
Bustanut was gonna loan me his...but it was in the same lockbox Mizz Bustanut keeps his balls. :rofl:

Some of the failures appear to be due to dirty switch contacts (especially with the older, more weathered 1st gens) and some are due to wires that physically broke off outside of the ignition switch.
You're correct, I forgot about the handful of problems that were simply gunk in the contact area of the switch.
I still think it is a crazy design to have so much of the bike's electric current load going through the cheesy little contacts of the ignition switch. The proposed relay logic fix is a sound one, IMO, and could very well prevent a failure on any model year bike, especially if you are adding farkles to the switched power.
Why doesn't the bike fire up on my 2004 FJR after installation of the the Relay switch? Anyone else have this problem?

Some of the failures appear to be due to dirty switch contacts (especially with the older, more weathered 1st gens) and some are due to wires that physically broke off outside of the ignition switch.
You're correct, I forgot about the handful of problems that were simply gunk in the contact area of the switch.
I still think it is a crazy design to have so much of the bike's electric current load going through the cheesy little contacts of the ignition switch. The proposed relay logic fix is a sound one, IMO, and could very well prevent a failure on any model year bike, especially if you are adding farkles to the switched power.
Why doesn't the bike fire up on my 2004 FJR after installation of the the Relay switch? Anyone else have this problem?
I put one on my '04 and it worked like it was supposed to.

Yours is the first post I've seen of a failure after an install of Brodie's relay. The relay truly is plug and play with one exception...the ground wire. I'm sure you didn't ignore it, so it's possible you got one with a bad relay. Ping Brodie and check with him. You DID attach the ground, right?

photo-1a.jpg

VERY important. Relay won't trigger without the ground.

I was questioning the necessity of the relay with the new switch but am pretty much convinced that it is cheap protection.I'm interested in either getting one or making one. I am capable of making one and like doin' that sort o' stuff, but not sure on my ability to get the right connectors easily up here in Canada. I've seen the parts list (and photo) and Salan10 mentioned that Brodie post up "how to purchase materials" but I seem to have missed that. I'll reread when I have time to try and find it.

Does anyone have a parts cost for this?

Is it not even worth my time to consider doin' myself (ignoring the fun factor?)

Was shipping to Canada any issue?

Is this community great, or what!!! Thanks Brodie!
Yea I like soldering and crimping shit together myself. But after sourcing the components that Brodie specified, adding shipping, and not even considering time involved...I was within $10 of what Brodie was asking. So I just used the time I saved to ride the bike, and relied on Brodie to supply the turn-key harness. I must say, he does a very professional job on this harness and you won't be disappointed. I installed mine the day after my switch was replaced. Ain't never looked back!!

Please add me to the list. Would be happy to pay by PayPal - haven't used the account in some time but it should still work.

I'm still waiting for my dealer to get the parts, after three weeks of reminding them. All the information here has been very helpful, and hopefully will keep the techs from screwing up the job when I stick the notice and the summary so kindly posted here: https://www.fjrforum.com/files/FJRF005.pdf (hope that's still current) in front of their face.

Hi FJRGuy
If you are interested in making one I posted everything you need to know at the beginning of this thread. The connectors are shipped from Japan, the other components are domestic. There should not be any problem obtaining the parts. Several people have indeed done just that. The neat thing about building one yourself is you can stand back when you're done and say with pride... "I made that".

That said, I have several left from the last build that I can drop in UPS tonight, you can have it within days (UPS Ground - or sooner). If you want to go that route just make the request here in this thread and I will send you a PM with the PayPal details.

Brodie
Sorry been a busy beaver for a while. Thank you for posting the parts list and instructions, I have read them. I do have the ability to make my own but considering your bulk purchasing and awesome price for the forum members, I was debating it being worthwhile.

If you were to send one UPS, they would charge me ~$50 brokerage fee to bring it across the border. USPS would bypass that but would still have to pay additional taxes. Don't know if the Japanese component would make it incur duty. Thus my Q about having shipped to anyone in Canada yet.

Another issue with my ECU recall also made me wonder if your relay will in any way effect the immobilizer in the CDN FJRs. Don't necessarily expect you to be able to answer this but, if not, maybe someone else can.

Now that the ignition switch recall seems to have fewer people thinking about Brodie relays, I was wondering...
Could the Brodie relay be modified to power a Blue Sea fuse block? I'm sure there are people who would appreciate a plug and play switched power source to their fuse blocks.

It seems like a good idea to me.
+1 :) I was thinking the same thing.

...But I would like to see a sanitary, plug and play harness and relay made available for powering accessory power panels, for a similar price as the Brodie Relay mod. ...
I tried adding a second connector for power to a sub panel on the Ignition Relay Harness, I even built one...

I don't like what I did. It taps into the bike wiring for added load. That's the dirty way to do it. The better way is to come straight off the battery with 10 gage red and black, through a large fuse, pick up the switched headlight relay signal on the way to the back of the bike to the sub panel. In fact that's the way I did it last year on my bike. All I need to do is source the proper connectors and components to make it a sanitary plug and play unit.

Brodie
I agree that you don't want to add the aux load to the bike wiring but it seems to me that you have already tapped a perfect source for the switched signal to a second, separate, relay for powering up a sub panel. Adding a short bullet connector pigtail off your existing harness would provide for this functionality. Then only battery connections would be required to add a sub panel relay harness (or in the case of the FuzeBlock, the sub panel directly.)

Edit: added Image!

MBRH.jpg

Jeff

I live in Canada and Brodie sent mine via US parcel post (if I remember correctly) with no problems at all. They didn't even open it an steal my Tootsie Rolls. No additional charges so don't worry abut customs at all. So however he did it for me was perfect.

No problem with the immobilizer chip as that is actually a separate part of the switch (that big lump above the key slot) and is unaffected by the Brodie Harness.

As others have said it's a nice piece and works great even with the recalled switch. Yamaha should have been doing this from new.

Go for it.

TILAM

Hi FJRGuy

Brodie
Sorry been a busy beaver for a while. Thank you for posting the parts list and instructions, I have read them. I do have the ability to make my own but considering your bulk purchasing and awesome price for the forum members, I was debating it being worthwhile.

If you were to send one UPS, they would charge me ~$50 brokerage fee to bring it across the border. USPS would bypass that but would still have to pay additional taxes. Don't know if the Japanese component would make it incur duty. Thus my Q about having shipped to anyone in Canada yet.

Another issue with my ECU recall also made me wonder if your relay will in any way effect the immobilizer in the CDN FJRs. Don't necessarily expect you to be able to answer this but, if not, maybe someone else can.