Ignition Switch on Backorder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a similiar situation here around the Twin Cities, MN...

Called the closest local dealer about a month ago.. They wanted me to ride in so that they could physically

inspect the vin on my bike before they would complete the recall work order. Did that... Then about a day later they called and said the switch was on backorder till the end of July... WTF!!!

Frustrated, a few days later I called the dealer (up North) where I bought my bike. They said the switches were indeed on backorder but they had previously ordered a "bunch" of them and they were due in later that same week. They must of put my info in on the Yama Mama computer because... Funny thing then happened...

The very next day... I get a call from my local (closer) dealer saying, "Your part just got in and please call to schedule the recall install so that we can get this taken care of." ??? Wow... either way... Mine is now getting done this Monday.

WW

Picked mine up today. While the dealer did the recall I had them install a Heli Bar riser. They only charged me $36 for the install, and gave me a 10% discount on the Heli Bar triple clamp. It's great to have a dealer that works with you.

Picked mine up today. While the dealer did the recall I had them install a Heli Bar riser. They only charged me $36 for the install, and gave me a 10% discount on the Heli Bar triple clamp. It's great to have a dealer that works with you.
I don't understand why they charged anything for the Heli install. It's not like they did any extra work, right?

I called my dealer in late April/ early May to set up a time to have my switch done. They said they would order the parts and call me when they came in. I have not heard from them, so today I called them, to find out the parts are on back order and they have NO IDEA when they will get them. I plan to call Yamaha and complain about this as I am not supposed to ride the bike until this recall is done, but I sure have to keep making my payments even though I am not able to ride the bike for 3 months or more .

I am not supposed to ride the bike until this recall is done.
This ignition issue has been present for over 3 years, and only when they formally recognize it do that have to then also tell you not to ride it.

You can make the choice to ride or not given the relative small chance the ignition will fail will riding in a situation that you can't just pull over to the side of the road. You only commute to work in 8 lanes of freeway traffic at 80 mph....probably good advice to heed. You only ride in rural areas and have tools with you to jump it if it fails...probably not so much a problem.

Would you prefer the forum have done nothing about this issue....and you could still have a potentially failing switch Yamaha doesn't recognize as an issue. I'm just sayin'. ;)

Check with other dealers for extra parts. They're out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you prefer the forum have done nothing about this issue....and you could still have a potentially failing switch Yamaha doesn't recognize as an issue. I'm just sayin'. ;)
I'm not sure OhioFJR1300 was placing any blame on the forum Ignacio, he's just really frustrated with his dealer and Yamaha. I am very grateful to the forum for bringing this problem to the level that no doubt helped with Yamaha's recall decision.

OhioFJR1300 if I was in your shoes I'd be on the phone with Yamaha's customer service line daily, as well as your dealer, be respectful but firm in your resolve. If your dealer isn't helpful then find another. Three months and counting is ridiculous. I wouldn't be afraid to ask Yamaha for some sort of renumeration. As you said you are still expected to make the payments.

I'm not sure OhioFJR1300 was placing any blame on the forum Ignacio, he's just really frustrated with his dealer and Yamaha. I am very grateful to the forum for bringing this problem to the level that no doubt helped with Yamaha's recall decision.

OhioFJR1300 if I was in your shoes I'd be on the phone with Yamaha's customer service line daily, as well as your dealer, be respectful but firm in your resolve. If your dealer isn't helpful then find another. Three months and counting is ridiculous. I wouldn't be afraid to ask Yamaha for some sort of renumeration. As you said you are still expected to make the payments.
Bellerophon, thanks for your comments as they are spot on. Ignacio, I am 100% thankful for the efforts of this forum in getting this problem brought to a recall, I am just 100% unhappy with my dealer's treatment of me as their customer. I will continue to ride the bike and am willing to make a roadside repair , if needed. I feel that my dealer is really not being any help ( and I have purchased 3 bikes from them so far). I will call Yamaha on Monday and let them know that I feel this is a poor way to treat any customer. This dealer (under a different service manager) acted very differently when Honda recalled the Goldwing for a frame weld problem. The dealer called me, and told me that they would like to send a trailer to pick up my bike , (as I was not to ride it until the recall was completed) and they would make the repair and bring the bike back to my house. (a 60 mile one way trip). And they did all of this at no cost to me. I plan to send a letter to the owner of this dealership and let him know how the service dept treats its customers now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I contacted Yamaha customer service last thursday to complain about this issue, they magically located the part and the dealer received it Friday. I am not to concerned about riding the bike locally, but I have a 2 week trip planned in July and don't want to take the chance of having an ignition switch failure ruining my vacation.

Remind me not to visit the dealer in Elizabethtown, KY. My dealer has a switch in stock but I have the "Brodie relay" installed so I'm not in a big rush. One of the reasons I switched from BMW to Yamaha was the vast dealer network. I know that quanity doesn't equal quality, but at least I can buy tires in every state.

OBD

Well all my complaining to my dealer finally paid off. They called today and stated that the ignition switch was in and both of the recalls on my new bike were completed. They also installed my Heli Triple Clamp for FREE!!! I guess miracles do happen. :yahoo:

Just picked up my bike from The Hitching Post, Fridley,MN.

(NO affiliation).

They did a GREAT job! Put my bike back together exactly the way it was when I brought it in.

No mystery damage done to my plastics and they finished it up exactly when they said they would.

This is the second recall work they have one for me and both times I have been very satisfied.

I was under the impression that this new ignition recall consisted of only the guts/circuit board within the existing ignition....

I noticed my bike got a whole new ignition switch (it looks brand spanking new from the top keyed portion)...

Have the rest of you noticed this too...

WW

I was under the impression that this new ignition recall consisted of only the guts/circuit board within the existing ignition....I noticed my bike got a whole new ignition switch (it looks brand spanking new from the top keyed portion)...

Have the rest of you noticed this too...

WW
WW

Check this out...

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=114602&view=findpost&p=547493

The Recall Ignition Switch - What's New About It?
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s=&showtopic=114602&view=findpost&p=547493

When I got my ignition switch replaced with the recall I dissected it and posted my findings. The same service happened to your bike.

Enjoy the read.

Brodie