I'm back...2006 Blue FJR1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mestude

Reaction score
I used to have 2005 FJR and just over three years ago, I bought a 2007 HD Road glide and sold the FJ. However now in an effort to down size our finances I sold HD and just bought 2006 FJ . I paid off the HD and picked up the FJ for 5900 bucks. Paid cash...so i think that puts me way ahead. LToday I picked up the FJ about three hours away from home it has 53000 miles. Pretty clean bike, some nicks and scuffs...but the only weird thing I noticed is that the gas gage is not working right. It start blinking on "E" with over a half tank left. Wondering if anyone experienced this before.....also wonder Approximately how many miles per tank are some of you getting.....I can honestly say the only two things I missed from the Harley were forward foot pegs/rests and cruise control....who has done either one of those...

Looking forward to any responses....thanks.

Mike

I always like to look at the bright side. Think what a nice big reserve you have. :)

Highway pegs, cruise controls and throttle locks are very common farkles around here, btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get 45 MPG plus. So with 6.6 gals, it calculates to about 300 miles. My fuel gauge shows me going to reserve way too early. If you go between 225-250 miles, you will have plenty of reserve.

The bike will normally begin the count-up and flashing reserve at right around 4.8 - 5.0 gallons used. If you're saying the bike is flashing with 3+ gallons left, sounds like the sender is acting up.

Search and check out *Wild Bill* for highway pegs.

--G

Agreed. My Gen II's gauge is different from my old gen 1. Mine also start blinking at about 4 3/4 to 5 gallons gone, but not a half a tank. Don't know what to tell you about that. I think it would be a lot of trouble to fix it. Unless of course if it was still covered under the yes warranty.

GP

Agreed. My Gen II's gauge is different from my old gen 1. Mine also start blinking at about 4 3/4 to 5 gallons gone, but not a half a tank. Don't know what to tell you about that. I think it would be a lot of trouble to fix it. Unless of course if it was still covered under the yes warranty.

GP
i was pretty sure when i OP'd that it was a fuel sender...20+ years of being a service adviser/manager...it is the classic symptoms..I just wanted to get everyones input see if i was on the right track....also this morning I did research it a little bit and it seems that the GEN II have a pretty early warning system...however this is bad sender..maybe a float...but that is a lot of trouble and cost. being it comes as whole unit...so until something bad happens it looks like calculating mileage is the answer.....Now i need to ge my mileage back up....On my trip home yesterday almost all highway I averaged about 78 mph according to the read out....and when i left the place where i bought the bike it read 45 mpg...by the time i got home it read 35 point something....but that was me trying to beat the rain..(which i did) and it was almost all highway...the dealer was about 1 mile from the express way and i live about 2 miles from the expressway...

thanks for all the input, i will be putting an order in with wild bill this week for pegs....and now im trying to decide which throttle lock...

Agreed with the fuel issue. Mine blinks at 5 gal used. The original owner put on forward pegs which are ok with the fairing "in" although if I'm not careful they hit me mid shin. They are worthless to me if i have the fairing "out" It also came with a Throttlemister CC....well made and works well now that I corrected his installation goof up. I prefer the Brake Away product better though. I like the fact that when I hit the forward brake it releases automatically unlike the other friction CCs. It's adjustable and rebuildable made out of machined aluminum. Cost is around $210 for an '09.

~ER RN