Impact forces on sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can not remember exactly where I saw the photos online, but australian and european police (on FJRs) are using front and rear crash bars in lieu of frame sliders -------------- not only protects the bike if you drop it, but also protects the hard bags as well. I assume they are using low grade mild steel for the bars (powder coated), so as to absorb most of the shock in lieu of the bike's frame.

I have seen similar bars on Honda Gold Wings and ST1300s.

If anyone can remember the FJR police photos, please speak up and post if available.

I consider my Motovation sliders as TOG's only...not actually sliders. If they protect plastic, or frame or whatever in a crash, then so much the better.

I think the cost for one body panel (left or right) is around $500. Sliders (gen I) with the triangle mount about $160 for both sides. Knock the bike over in a parking lot or drop it at 20mph--do the math. If you're going faster than that lots of stuff will get fucked up anyway.

And even in the picture of the crashed good sliders, the case was scratched but not enough that oil was coming out.

My engine cover still looks like the one in the picture and still does not leak. With out the slider, I would have been waiting for the tow truck as the oil ran out of my bike.