In-helmet audio/bluetooth..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was running an older version of the Cardo Scala Q2. Worked good but was having difficulty connecting up to other riders who had newer units. It paired well with my GPS and phone but couldn't get music to play from my phone through the system.
Recently purchased the UClear HBC-200 Force Boomless. Super easy install. Love that I don't have a boom to deal with. Still testing them out but so far sound seems pretty good. Pairs easy with GPS and phone for both calls AND music.
We'll have to sync units next time we ride...that way you'll be able to tell me you're coming and not scare me half to death as you blast past on a blind curve.

I was running an older version of the Cardo Scala Q2. Worked good but was having difficulty connecting up to other riders who had newer units. It paired well with my GPS and phone but couldn't get music to play from my phone through the system.
Recently purchased the UClear HBC-200 Force Boomless. Super easy install. Love that I don't have a boom to deal with. Still testing them out but so far sound seems pretty good. Pairs easy with GPS and phone for both calls AND music.
We'll have to sync units next time we ride...that way you'll be able to tell me you're coming and not scare me half to death as you blast past on a blind curve.
Wow...he really did that to you Tom?

I also have an N104 to which I added a Sena SMH10R.

I considered the UClear to avoid the mic boom, but the speakers are too large for the recessed speaker area in the N104 foam core. I did not want to dig in the foam and compromise the core integrity to fit an accessory.

The SMH10R speakers fit perfectly. The added bonus is that the unit itself is tiny, and you can hide the battery inside the helmet in the back where the N-Com battery is meant to be installed. I ran the wire through the N-Com opening on the side of the helmet so there are no visible wires, boom or battery from the outside.

I can't post pics right now, but I could later if it helps anyone.

...Ben...

As long as everything else is represented, I'm using the Uclear. It is very easy to setup in that the microphones are integrated into helmet speakers or the optional noise isolating earbuds. Without a microhone, there is more room in the helmet and the unit is much easier to move from helmet to helmet or to lend to friends for a day of use.
Excellent VOX for phone, bike to bike, or rider/passenger. Good fidelity helmet speakers, exceptional fidelity earbuds. Last 10 to 12 hours continuous use or longer on standby (I'm yet to have one run out of power). Very small unit that in unobtrusive and easy to control. Uclear uses a short-hop technology that gives it longer range with riding with a group, but range is decent for just two riders.
I understand that the Uclear can connect up to 10 motorcyles.

My question is, can the Uclear communicate with other brands such as Sena, Cardo, etc..

About 6 years ago, I got a pair of Challenger custom-molded earphones from earplugstore.com. (ncjasc) I forget exactly what I paid, but today's price is $198, and I know I paid less. I had the ear molds done by my audiologist as part of a regular exam, and he added $20 for the mold work. Once I sent the molds in, the final earphones came back in about two weeks.

When I first started wearing them, I used a lubricating gel (Oto-eze), but for many years now I've just used them as-is. I've worn them for 20+ hours straight with no discomfort, and they sit flush with my ear, so there's no problems getting the helmet on and off with them in place. They are still in great shape, after 65,000 miles of riding use, plus about two dozen uses on airplane rides.

The sound quality is very good, and the noise isolation is just right for me -- wind noise is very low even at nominal speeds, but at a fuel stop I can still (barely) hear someone talking to me at the pumps.

As long as everything else is represented, I'm using the Uclear. It is very easy to setup in that the microphones are integrated into helmet speakers or the optional noise isolating earbuds. Without a microhone, there is more room in the helmet and the unit is much easier to move from helmet to helmet or to lend to friends for a day of use.
Excellent VOX for phone, bike to bike, or rider/passenger. Good fidelity helmet speakers, exceptional fidelity earbuds. Last 10 to 12 hours continuous use or longer on standby (I'm yet to have one run out of power). Very small unit that in unobtrusive and easy to control. Uclear uses a short-hop technology that gives it longer range with riding with a group, but range is decent for just two riders.
I understand that the Uclear can connect up to 10 motorcyles.

My question is, can the Uclear communicate with other brands such as Sena, Cardo, etc..
Maybe.

It can probably connect to Sena, since the Sena firmware was upgraded to allow connections to "other" units. It will only connect to Scala, et al. if those units, or the UClear itself, has the ability to connect to "other" units :D

Clear as mud?

Most of the top of the line units will talk to other brands, kinda sorta, or so I've been told. The problem is they usually only pair to one unit of the other brand. That feature was a firmware upgrade on the SMH10 and that makes me believe the hardware is there to do what we want/need but the software is catching up. That's why I'm not in a hurry to buy right now.

On that ten rider thing, how many of you really want to talk to a gaggle of riders? A couple of years back three friends and I put some gmrs comms together and after about an hour I just wished people would shut up. Also, that daisy chain system that Uclear has where it will forward transmissions from one unit to the next to extend distance sure sounds unreliable to me. What if you are rider #1 and you want to talk to rider #4 but the radio has to relay through #2 and/or #3 to get there. Just sounds like there is a lot of techno babble out there to suck you into features you don't want or need.

Tom, I don't recall this. I wish you would have mentioned it to me at the time. My apologies if I scared you in any way. I agree that communication helps everyone be aware of what's going on. Back on topic, I'm a fan of the UClear as mentioned earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
WG, Could be mistaken identity...it was on the way down from Zanesville. I'd still like to sync next time.
smile.png

Uclear can sync with a Sena, but only one at a time. I talked to the owners at Uclear and they are coming out with a new model in 2015 with Bluetooth version 4.1 implemented. While details were sketchy, it should be capable of even longer battery life, longer range, and higher speed processing to prevent the echo effect when you are near the other transmitter. It also handles more simultaneous connections, but they didn't say how that would be implemented. If someone calls, ask about the new one and if there is a release date.

When I first started wearing them, I used a lubricating gel (Oto-eze), but for many years now I've just used them as-is.
I've also been using custom-molds in combination with Weston 4 earphones for couple of years now, always struggled to get them properly in. Now the idea of using a lubricating gel had never hit my mind so far. So I went straight to my wife's accessories, picked the gel and voila!, it works really great, got the phones right in in a first go. Fantastic, thanks for the great advice!

As for the OP thread, I also have Sena SMH10, great piece, very convenient to use. Though, every now and then I do not get a proper stereo connection with the Zumo 660, sometimes it connects in a sort of mono mode, terrible sound quality, I need to restart it couple of times before it gets a right connection (if anybody knows how to cure this, I would appreciate an advice). I prefer to listen music and also channel the phone via Zumo, then I can manipulate them easily on the fly.

As for the OP thread, I also have Sena SMH10, great piece, very convenient to use. Though, every now and then I do not get a proper stereo connection with the Zumo 660, sometimes it connects in a sort of mono mode, terrible sound quality, I need to restart it couple of times before it gets a right connection (if anybody knows how to cure this, I would appreciate an advice). I prefer to listen music and also channel the phone via Zumo, then I can manipulate them easily on the fly.
Turn on the Sena SMH10 first, then turn on the Zumo. Works every time for me

WG, Could be mistaken identity...it was on the way down from Zanesville. I'd still like to sync next time.
smile.png
Was that during the 2014 SE Ohio Ramble...heading down 555, coming into Ringold?
Yup! And really don't mean to make this a bid deal. I was startled, but not angry. My comment was meant more to poke some fun, and not to raise a complaint. I do remember loud exhaust.

WG, Could be mistaken identity...it was on the way down from Zanesville. I'd still like to sync next time. :)
Was that during the 2014 SE Ohio Ramble...heading down 555, coming into Ringold?
Yup! And really don't mean to make this a bid deal. I was startled, but not angry. My comment was meant more to poke some fun, and not to raise a complaint. I do remember loud exhaust.
Wasn't me...you were riding with Bob (Intech) and me.

Senna SMH10 will communicate with other brands, but only one at a time as it connects as if the other brand was a cell phone. That also uses up the cell phone slot, so you can't use both at the same time.

smile.png
Definitely not me Tom. I wasn't riding in your group and that is really not my style.
smile.png

smile.png
Definitely not me Tom. Not my style and I'm stock 2013 (Stone Grey).
smile.png
It was probably some guy an a Harley blowing past.
grin.gif

I also have an N104 to which I added a Sena SMH10R.I considered the UClear to avoid the mic boom, but the speakers are too large for the recessed speaker area in the N104 foam core. I did not want to dig in the foam and compromise the core integrity to fit an accessory.

The SMH10R speakers fit perfectly. The added bonus is that the unit itself is tiny, and you can hide the battery inside the helmet in the back where the N-Com battery is meant to be installed. I ran the wire through the N-Com opening on the side of the helmet so there are no visible wires, boom or battery from the outside.

I can't post pics right now, but I could later if it helps anyone.

...Ben...
Ben, is the SMH10R slim enough to allow you to stow your helmet in the sidecase without removal?

To users of other headset brands/models, how do you accommodate helmet storage in the sidecase?