In-helmet audio/bluetooth..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a Sena SMH5-FM in a Shoei RF1100. The standard Sena speakers are installed and are loud enough at highway speeds with foam earplugs. If I ride without earplugs, I (like a previous poster mentioned) find the speakers to be very tinny. But it is a good setup for me.

Ben, is the SMH10R slim enough to allow you to stow your helmet in the sidecase without removal?
To users of other headset brands/models, how do you accommodate helmet storage in the sidecase?
The general consensus is that the slim SMH10R mounted along the bottom edge of the helmet (which isn't the widest part) will still allow for you to keep it in an FJR side case if it fit already

I got an e-mail from Revzilla this morning that they now have the new Sena 3S-W (wired mic for full face) bluetooth headset in stock for $89.10. I ordered one. I want to try using a bluetooth headset, but don't need some of the additional capabilities and range of the SMH10R that I had previously been considering. I'll let you know what I think of it after a couple weeks of use.

I have the Cardo G9 and a Uclear 200. The G9 is easier to navigate with gloves on and a little more solid on my helmet. The G9 has limitations of no more than 4 at a time 2 riders on a bike or 3 riders on separate bikes. I have connected my G9 to the Uclear 200 through blue tooth but when we did this the other G9 loses contact. My preference is the Uclear no boom mic and a very respectable volume level. It is very easy to connect to other devices and works with other manufactures. It is also my understanding that it has no maximum to the amount of radios that can be connected at one time. Unlike Cardo having a max of 4 on 2 bikes. We have run on 4 bikes but we did have issues and Cardo does not endorse it working in these conditions. The Sena 20 or the Uclear 200 would be my choice because they attempt to play with others well :)

I also have an N104 to which I added a Sena SMH10R.

I considered the UClear to avoid the mic boom, but the speakers are too large for the recessed speaker area in the N104 foam core. I did not want to dig in the foam and compromise the core integrity to fit an accessory.

The SMH10R speakers fit perfectly. The added bonus is that the unit itself is tiny, and you can hide the battery inside the helmet in the back where the N-Com battery is meant to be installed. I ran the wire through the N-Com opening on the side of the helmet so there are no visible wires, boom or battery from the outside.

I can't post pics right now, but I could later if it helps anyone.

...Ben...
Ben, is the SMH10R slim enough to allow you to stow your helmet in the sidecase without removal?

To users of other headset brands/models, how do you accommodate helmet storage in the sidecase?
I use the SMH10 mounted to a Shoei Neotec...it does fit in the left side case for sure.

I just purchased a Sena 20S dual headset setup. The functionality seems great. Admittedly, I have not yet had the chance to give it a full shakeout. My frame of reference is top of the line autocom wired equipment. In either case, I have extensive experience with both in helmet speakers and earbuds of different varieties. For years, I've settled on using in helmet speakers for short hops where I don't want to be bothered with taking earbuds on and off. For longer distances, I've always relied on earbuds of one kind or another. I've used high end stock earbuds. They work well in delivering great sound in a static environment, but riding at highway speeds is NOT a static environment. So, some time ago I moved to using custom ear molded earbuds. My first set was very expensive but awesome. An audiologist made the molds and they were sent into the mfr. About $500 at the end of the day. But, that was some time ago. More recently, I lost those. This idiot left them somewhere. I replaced them with an inexpensive equivalent. Still a custom molded product, but the molds are made by the user and sent into the mfr. Less than $100 I think. I sense there are many options out there now. But, I'm convinced this is a great approach because it's highly effective in reducing the ambient noise that drowns out your tunes and harms your hearing. High DB for extended periods WILL diminish your hearing later in life even if you sense no impact now. I learned this from my father, and ENT MD.

Happy listening.

Mogan

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to your review Mogan. Have been using the 20S on and off for many months now. Tons of functionality as you mention, however, I have been disappointed with certain aspects of how well it works. #1 is talking on the phone while I ride which is the most important feature to me. The noise cancelling microphone or software doesn't work too well in my experience. Sitting still my voice quality is ok, at highway speeds, barely adequate. The other is the helmet speaker volume which (while wearing foam earplugs) I think is worthless over 45mph. So I usually use earbuds.

For earbud speakers I highly recommend S-Plugs. This is after years of trying various alternatives including the custom molded jobbies. For comfort and noise cancelling I haven't found anything better. The ONLY thing I will use now.

Skooter, try this: Run your phone directly to your Sena instead of through your GPS. I have found that if my phone is routed to my Sena through my Zumo, whoever I'm talking to can't hear crap. If I'm routed directly from my phone to my Sena, people don't even know I'm on my bike. I think it's a connection issue between the Sena and Zumo.

If you try it, let me know the results, because mine is pissing me off.

Skooter, try this: Run your phone directly to your Sena instead of through your GPS. I have found that if my phone is routed to my Sena through my Zumo, whoever I'm talking to can't hear crap. If I'm routed directly from my phone to my Sena, people don't even know I'm on my bike. I think it's a connection issue between the Sena and Zumo.
If you try it, let me know the results, because mine is pissing me off.

I gave up on running the phone through the Garmin long ago. As much as I would like to do that for the convenience, voice quality on the phone is significantly worse than pairing the phone right to the Sena. I blame the Garmin GPS for that.

I wonder if it is my phone? I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, so while not terribly old, it is not current. Fairlaner has an Iphone and has not had the issues I have had. I believe his phone quality is very good whether paired directly to the Sena, or through the GPS.

I really like the 20S and want it to work and keep it, but the phone is my primary use for it and it is pissing me off.

Sena SMH10R. mounted in a Nolan N-104. Nice clean installation with the battery in the little battery slot in the back of the helmet. Wires all routed inside as well as the mike. Fits in the side case with no problem. It is the only system I've ever used so I can't compare to other units but it does what I want, mostly listening the the GPS when I am in areas I am not familiar with. I don't use the phone when riding or driving and haven't tried pairing up with other riders.