Inaccurate Fuel Gauge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastfreddy

Reaction score
I have a 2009 FJR; I'm the 2nd owner (the orginal owner had it a few months). I bought it from a Yamaha dealer and the 2 year warranty transferred over to me. I noticed that the fuel gauge would never indicate full and would not give an accurate fuel reading. At about 120 miles after refueling it starts flashing and indicating low on fuel. I always reset my trip odometer and avg fuel consumption so I know by simple math I should be getting at least 200 miles before the gauge shows empty. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the whole fuel pump assembly. It will now register full for a short period of time but it still is not giving me an accurate reading and starts flashing again at around 120 miles.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Any idea what the problem is?

I see that professor ionbeam is typing up a response, so you should have lots of good info soon.

My question is, when it indicates empty, how many gallons are you stuffing back in there, not how many miles you've gone?

Last edited by a moderator:
When you fuel up do you stop when the pump clicks off or do you pull the nozzle out and fuel "by hand" until you can see it?

I have a 2009 FJR; I'm the 2nd owner (the orginal owner had it a few months). I bought it from a Yamaha dealer and the 2 year warranty transferred over to me. I noticed that the fuel gauge would never indicate full and would not give an accurate fuel reading. At about 120 miles after refueling it starts flashing and indicating low on fuel. I always reset my trip odometer and avg fuel consumption so I know by simple math I should be getting at least 200 miles before the gauge shows empty. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the whole fuel pump assembly. It will now register full for a short period of time but it still is not giving me an accurate reading and starts flashing again at around 120 miles.
I don't know if it helps (I have an 05) The flashing will start anywhere from 120-200 miles. It depends on your

consumption rate. (City/Highway.. ) Once it starts flashing you will have at least 30-70 miles of fuel left, once

again depending on consumption rate. I have even got 300 miles out of a tank. (On the highway) So for the

flashing to start at 120 is not totally whacked. When it starts flashing- refuel and see how many gallons your

tank will take. I learned by running it more and more past the flashing. recently I ran it down (out) on the

highway. Caution: Carry a small gas can or jug ! And hand fill your tank to the rim on center stand for max cap.

Last edited by a moderator:

I see that professor ionbeam is typing up a response, so you should have lots of good info soon.
My question is, when it indicates empty, how many gallons are you stuffing back in there, not how many miles you've gone?
When its reading empty I'm only getting 3.5 gallons it at the most.

The gas gauge float is held by an arm that has multiple creative bends in it. I had the same problem as you and, by trial an error, I figured out how to manipulate the bends to get an accurate reading. It requires time, patience and logical interpretation of the bend geometry. I had the pump out of the tank six times before I got it to work to my satisfaction. Probably not worth the time and effort, but it is satisfying to look down at an accurate indication of how much fuel I have.

From the pictures in the manual it would appear that the float and fuel pump are all one assembly. Hard to believe that two float arms would be "mis-bent."

From the pictures in the manual it would appear that the float and fuel pump are all one assembly. Hard to believe that two float arms would be "mis-bent."
You might not say that if you'e every pulled the pump outta the tank. The float arm hangs up very easily. My point being, it would be well within the realm of possibility that a float arm gets bent outta whack during pump install at the factory yet be ignored by the assembler.

He's the same guy who torques the oil plug to 975 foot pounds.

You might not say that if you'e every pulled the pump outta the tank. The float arm hangs up very easily. My point being, it would be well within the realm of possibility that a float arm gets bent outta whack during pump install at the factory yet be ignored by the assembler.

He's the same guy who torques the oil plug to 975 foot pounds.
You've got me there; I've never pulled the pump on my FJR. I'm still waiting, though, to find out how Freddy tops off his tank. :)

The float "shaft" is made of relatively fine wire. It appears to be cut and bent in some kind of press or forming machine. The float itself is then mounted on the wire and the shaft manually mounted to the fuel pump assembly. The whole unit is then jammed into a hole on the bottom of the tank, which is just a little too small, by a guy being paid to do as many as possible in the shortest possible period of time. The question isn't how could two be mis-bent. The question is how many are not. Inability to get the gas gauge to register "Full" has been the suject of a number of conversations on this site, over the years. Haven't seen it in a while, though.

Not for nothing but I don't rely on the fuel gauge. I always reset the odometer and when it gets to 240 miles I need to get gas within the next 40 miles plus or minus.