IndianaTom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all,

Well, it's been awhile since I've updated you all. Three weeks ago, Tom started getting lunch; the following week, they added breakfast. He gets these M-F with his therapist. No problems, but I don't know how much longer before he will get all of his meals. Last week, his PIC line was removed. This is a sort of permanent IV line that had been in for several months and irritated him to no end. I has been good to have that out, barring any future infections. He's been making slow progress in all areas, but no other milestones than these.

Tuesday, he was moved out of his private room. His new roommate is....interesting. Tom was moved because they are anticipating that his insurance will not pay much longer. However, it is looking like Tom may qualify for Medicaid to pay for his stay at this facility. They will only cover double rooms though. His new roommate is a "talker", and the staff chose this pairing because they thought the talker might encourage Tom to speak more.

Word of warning if you go to visit: the roomie is fine, don't worry if he asks you to help him. Just try to ignore him as much as possible. Also, apparently he is also a stripper, so don't look behind the curtain unless you don't mind what you see. Room number is 303, second room on the right when you enter the unit.

Tom's wife, Vonda is progressing fine with her pregnancy. Just 7 weeks to go, give or take!

Keep up the prayers. I told him that EOM was last week, and he grunted about that. I know he was looking forward to attending again this year. Maybe next year will be better for Tom.

. His new roommate is a "talker", and the staff chose this pairing because they thought the talker might encourage Tom to speak more.
They want him to yell shut up?

I love how they move him in "anticipation" :angry2:

Heal up o'le boy!

Hello friends,

Yesterday, Tom was moved to a more local nursing home, Mitchell Manor (Mitchell Indiana). Ever since he moved to the double room, things have really gone downhill. His roommate would not stop talking, and the woman across the hall constantly screamed. Tom did not get a moment's peace. Last weekend he asked his wife (through writing) how much longer he had to stay there. She was also not pleased with his progress in physical therapy; he was not getting any better, and she felt he was having more problems with his right arm and hand. It was time to move on.

Monday she toured the local home and was pretty impressed with their rehab department. They were able to make this happen pretty quickly, and with the help of her brother and sister-in-law she brought Tom to Mitchell. The quietness was wonderful. The speech therapist was still there (about 6:30) so she came to watch him eat supper. She was impressed with his status. Tomorrow, the other therapists will check him out. Mitchell is truly a small town; the night nurse was someone the his wife went to school with.

Now Tom's wife will be able to visit every day, and he will have a lot more visits from family and friends. They will be able to take him out for short trips, and I can take Wiley, his dog, for visits more often. And no more driving to Louisville! This will make it so much easier after their baby comes too.

He is in a double room, but there is no roommate, and they will keep it empty for us. If you are visiting, he is in room 157. It's the last room on the left in C wing.

Thank you all for your thoughts!

Jeff

Jeff, thanks for the newest update on Tom. I'm glad that they were able to get him into a facility that will help his rehabilitation instead of hindering it. His wife certainly must be a trooper to be dealing with Toms illness at the same time that she is expecting. My best wishes go out to both of them during this trying time.

Thanks Jeff for the news. Little victories will hopefully add up to full recovery eventually. :clapping:

I now remember eating with Tom at Bob Evans in Lewisburg at EOM '07. He joined Smitty, petey, and KSFJR/Chester for breakfast as we waited for the fog to lift before riding our route that day.

I'll see if I can't find a picture with Tom in it that I took as we were gearing up...and post it.

I have always wanted to ride southern Indiana with Tom and the others down there.

We gotta take that ride someday Tom....so take these little victories, savor them and move on to the next one. :yahoo:

I will be prayin for you Tom, your wife and family in these next days, weeks and months as you gain strength and mobility.

Positive news, Jeff. Thanks for posting this info,

Heidi

Ya' know, I was thinking about this exact subject this morning. Any new news on Tom?

Thanks to all of you that have kept Tom in your thoughts. I have frequently read posts from this forum to Tom, and he seems very impressed that you all care.

Tom has been in the new facility for a few weeks now, and although he has not made dramtic improvements, he has taken some baby steps. He has progressed to the point that he is able to eat all his meals by mouth (as opposed to the feeding tube) and seems to be getting stronger. Tom still only has the use of his left side of his body, but he can stand on one leg, with the help of balance beams and using his left arm for balance. Tom has been able to increase the amount of time he can stand on his own, and is able to do so for nearly 2 minutes. His speech is still very limited but does sem to excel at "yes", "no", and "ya." So whenever he is in doubt, he replies with "ya". I must say that usually the first word out of his mouth when I call him is a very clear and audible "Hello!" So that part is good, and we hope for improvement with time.

Tom's short term memory is still very short. It is sad to talk to him on the phone and ask him about baby names he and his wife may have picked out, and Tom is unable to remember that he is having a girl, let alone any possible names. Often times when his wife walks into the room to visit, his eyes bug out due to the size she has grown. Remember that when Tom had his surgery, his wife was in her first tri-mester, and she is now in her final few weeks. So as you can imagine, she has grown. Well, Tom has a very good and vivid memory of all events prior to his surgery, and he remembers her as being her normal size, and when she comes to visit, he is not expecting her to be ready to deliver. When I talk to Tom, I often try to regail some motorcycle tails and he is unable to remember any such conversations from our previous talks. We are told that this condition will improve with time, but I have not seen any progression. But to be fair, I live 12 hours away, and do not get to talk with Tom dailey as others do.

On the brighter side, Tom's wife and his in-laws, have been able to take Tom out of the facility for brief trips. I know that Tom attended a birthday party for his wife's family member, and he ate cake and ice cream, and seemed to have an enjoyable time. Aalso last week, I called and found Tom was at home in his recliner visiting for a few hours while his wife made pasta for dinner. So Tom is certainly far better than he was 6 months ago, but still has a long way to go. We keep praying for Tom's recovery, and I keep telling him that when he is able, we are going to take a cross country trip on our bikes. A four corners trip would be my dream to do with Tom.

Again I thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. tom's wife has very recently started to dialate, so his little girl can be expected any time now. I will try to keep you posted as best as I can

Take care all, and God Bless you and your families.

Thanks for the continued updates. Tell Tom that were thinking about him. I'm hoping to stop in and see him during the holidays on the way to Chicago.

JW

Being home and eating pasta usually makes me feel a whole lot better so I can only imagine it does the same for you Tom....seriously. Keep on plugging along and look at every small improvement as a victory and another step closer to your overall recovery. Pretty soon you will have a precious new daughter and just another reason to keep on working. Best of luck to you and your wife in the delivery of your new family member.

Chris