Inflamitory Harley thread from another forum

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[

I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so hard in my life. And, some of the credit must go to Raleigh cycles, as well. They really make a great bicycle...

A very old story . . . Raleigh hasn't built good road bicycles in England for years . . . back in the day when Reynolds "531" tubing, Campagnolo components and sew-ups were the hot ticket! (And even then the high-end Raleighs were still pretty crudely made.)

Best laugh I've had in days. I was expecting that the story was about real-life exploits on a Virago 250. My wife had to slow down on hers, so a mid 70's vintage Harley could keep pace with her on the way to Sturgis when his headlight wasn't working.

Thanks, Warchild.

A very old story . . . Raleigh hasn't built good road bicycles in England for years . . . back in the day when Reynolds "531" tubing, Campagnolo components and sew-ups were the hot ticket! (And even then the high-end Raleighs were still pretty crudely made.)
Admittedly, I ripped it off from my old Blackbird forum, where Hardley-bashing has become an art form. :D

Which is not very sporting, mind you... it's like shooting fish in a barrel.... :lol:

Admittedly, I ripped it off from my old Blackbird forum, where Hardley-bashing has become an art form. :D

Which is not very sporting, mind you... it's like shooting fish in a barrel.... :lol:
Or.....Like shooting HOGS in a pen?

Countless has the Harley man rolled up to a hapless soul on an asian atrocity cycle at a stop. Even though they have run astray in their unpatriotic motorcle purchase he turns to acknowledge the rider as fellow American.
Yet to a manling they won't look, won't turn their fiberglass entombed head in his direction, pretending they don't know he's there. But what they don't know is that from great distance a Harley man's superior roadcraft has already brought him a view of their fulmer face eye port's dreading recognition of him in their mirrors.

But it's too late, they freeze, their deepest fear is becoming reality, a Harley man is pulling alongside. Their shoulders slouch in recognition, they halt the wheezy throttle blipping of their tinkertoy engine. Yet never have they left from the line first, preferring to hold the inferior position to the next stop. A stop short, as not to come into the proximity of the Harley man and his machine.

Many more times than not they have already beat a hasty left or right retreat with visions of the Harley man's leather boot kicking their asian atrocity cycle into the ditch, they have heard the rumors of such righteous acts before. Of no less concern is the fear that the thundering shockwaves from Milwaukee's finest iron will damage their third world pot metal and plastic atrocity cycle.

In the end they know. They know the order of motormen and motorcycle. And they know their place in it.

Highwayman
Sad part is, some of those clowns actually believe that crap- until they try to run against a properly ridden Jap bike. I don't know where the mindset of "loud equals fast" originated (some kindergarten playground, perhaps?), but 65 hp pushing 800+ pounds sure isn't going to throw a scare into any of my bikes.

Sad part is, some of those clowns actually believe that crap- until they try to run against a properly ridden Jap bike. I don't know where the mindset of "loud equals fast" originated (some kindergarten playground, perhaps?), but 65 hp pushing 800+ pounds sure isn't going to throw a scare into any of my bikes.
Yep. The true riders among them mostly don't, but the poseurs sure do.

One of the most jaw dropping challenges I've seen was pulling onto I-80 west in Truckee off a long on ramp and having an ass clown on a raked POS with straight pipes decide to school me in a roll on at 70 mph. (I'd just gotten my '03 Blackbird dialed in with ~25 lb. weight reduction, a 4-2-1 pipe and a PCIII, so I was probably putting at least 2 RWHP to the ground for every one his much heavier Harley could muster, but he did have a big edge in noise production.) After his initial deafening surge by me before I realized what was up, the image in the mirrors looked like he'd dropped an anchor in the center lane. I doubt he learned anything about plastic covered asian atrocity cycles, though. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember a few years ago watching "American Thunder" on speed channel where they bolted a supercharger onto a Harley. They were saying how it would put out 150 horsepower.

And I'm thinking, I could go into my garage and turn a key and get 145 from my stock bike.

I just don't get it.

But I have LOTS of fun messing with my friends that ride Harleys.

Ray

I remember a few years ago watching "American Thunder" on speed channel where they bolted a supercharger onto a Harley. They were saying how it would put out 150 horsepower.

Ray
I doubt it would hold together very long, unless the whole motor & drivetrain were dis assembled and specially built to handle the HP increase ($$$$$).

"back in the day when Reynolds "531" tubing, Campagnolo components and sew-ups were the hot ticket!"

I bought one of those Ralieghs back in 1973, after college graduation I rode it for a month in Ireland the UK. I rode that bike for years and years. :) :)

In fact I rode that bike until LAST MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was working in my garage with the door open, went inside for about five minutes, and when I came out MY 1973 BIKE WAS GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry22: :grrr: :grrr:

Whoever took it walked right past my FJR, sitting there with the key in it!

... before I realized what was up, the image in the mirrors looked like he'd dropped an anchor in the center lane.
That's illegal and I hope it was an isolated lapse in judgement.

[SIZE=8pt](Freakin' hoolie.)[/SIZE]
Says the guy supporting the Oregon state government with his California dollars. :rolleyes: :lol:

In my defense, you should know that as I get older and continue to mature way too slowly, those lapses are nevertheless becoming much more infrequent. And besides -- the statute of limitations has expired. :p

I lived in Gardnerville at the time (~4,750 ft. elevation), and had just finished the suspension, wheel, header, etc. mods. I was coming over the hill that weekend to move my Mom after she sold her house, so I used the trip as a check out run a few days before leaving for the Blackbird forum's '06 west coast meet in Red Bluff. It clearly made more power at altitude than the carbureted '97 Blackbird sans pipe that I was getting ready to sell. Seemed like both slayed HDs ridden by poseurs just fine. :)

As to lapses, though -- the next week/weekend, I discovered how much MORE hp the thing made at sea level -- unintentionally riding the rear wheel several times over crests on 36 in that whoop-dee-do twisty part on the eastern (Red Bluff) side. On Saturday of that meet, a few miles out of Eureka heading east on 299 where it's open 2 lane straight line freeway in both directions, I was with 2 other Blackbirds and a CBR 954RR when I opened it up from around 75 to see what it would do. (I have a calibrated Speedo Healer on it, which reads out max speed with the push of a button after you've come to a stop). I felt somewhat safe from LEOs with friends riding well in front of me when I started twisting it. Wasn't long before I ran out of courage (got smarter?) with it still pulling hard at 173 mph and stable as a rock. That will have to stand as the peak of my lapses in judgment and highest speed on land for me. That bike is a lot faster than the FJR, and an educated guess is that it makes around 145 RWHP at sea level. Figuring that a 600 easily could have dealt with the poseur on the chopper, using that 1137cc atrocity cycle against a loud HD modded for LifestyleTM purposes is like using a .300 Win Mag on a chattering squirrel. ;)

[SIZE=8pt]What's the saying? -- "Harley Davidson -- the most efficient means of turning gasoline into noise without the unpleasant side effect of horsepower." [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray
I doubt it would hold together very long, unless the whole motor & drivetrain were dis assembled and specially built to handle the HP increase ($$$$$).
It didn't. They blew it up on the dyno due to a lack of oil circulation.

Countless has the Harley man rolled up to a hapless soul on an asian atrocity cycle at a stop. Even though they have run astray in their unpatriotic motorcle purchase he turns to acknowledge the rider as fellow American.
Yet to a manling they won't look, won't turn their fiberglass entombed head in his direction, pretending they don't know he's there. But what they don't know is that from great distance a Harley man's superior roadcraft has already brought him a view of their fulmer face eye port's dreading recognition of him in their mirrors.

But it's too late, they freeze, their deepest fear is becoming reality, a Harley man is pulling alongside. Their shoulders slouch in recognition, they halt the wheezy throttle blipping of their tinkertoy engine. Yet never have they left from the line first, preferring to hold the inferior position to the next stop. A stop short, as not to come into the proximity of the Harley man and his machine.

Many more times than not they have already beat a hasty left or right retreat with visions of the Harley man's leather boot kicking their asian atrocity cycle into the ditch, they have heard the rumors of such righteous acts before. Of no less concern is the fear that the thundering shockwaves from Milwaukee's finest iron will damage their third world pot metal and plastic atrocity cycle.

In the end they know. They know the order of motormen and motorcycle. And they know their place in it.

Highwayman

Paging James Burleigh! I'm sure Hans could write an elegant retort to the above, that would be entertaining, wise, thought-provoking and freakin' hilarious!