Info for the Californians out there

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW lane sharing is when two motorcycles are side-by-side in the same lane. Legal but unsafe (except at a red light). Lane splitting is riding over the dashed white line.
IIRC, that's not how the law reads, but I don't have it handy to quote. Do you?

Lane sharing is when two vehicles share the same lane, such as a car and a motorcycle, and is not illegal by law in California.
Toe there is no specific "law" for lane sharing. It is implied as it is not "illegal" to lane share. It's really all on safety and that interpretation by the LEO.
There is one area in the State Vehicle Code that says if there is enough room for two vehicles, but no lines it is OK, as long as it is safe. This was really meant as some sort of turn lane IIRC in the section I was reading. I'll try to find it and post it up.

[SIZE=14pt]**EDIT** I found it.[/SIZE]

Here is the CA Vehicle Code 21655.5. (b that states Motorcycles are OK in HOV lanes in Cali. NOTE: I can't put in a "B" in parenz or I get smiley faces. Note the one below... Our State Vehicle code has hidden smiley face langauge.

Also passing on the right ("lane sharing" what ever), the key is SAFELY. They can technically bust you any time saying it was, "unsafe". 21753, 4, 5

Yielding for Passing

21753. Except when passing on the right is permitted,

the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall safely move to the

right-hand side of the highway in favor of the overtaking

vehicle after an audible signal or a momentary flash of

headlights by the overtaking vehicle, and shall not increase

the speed of his or her vehicle until completely passed by the

overtaking vehicle. This section does not require the driver of

an overtaken vehicle to drive on the shoulder of the highway

in order to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass.

Amended Sec. 9, Ch. 440, Stats. 1996. Effective January 1, 1997.

Amended Sec. 40, Ch. 724, Stats. 1999. Effective January 1, 2000.

Passing on the Right

21754. The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and

pass to the right of another vehicle only under the following

conditions:

(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to

make a left turn.

( Upon a highway within a business or residence district

with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or

more lines of moving vehicles in the direction of travel.

§21755 —394— Div. 11

© Upon any highway outside of a business or residence

district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width and

clearly marked for two or more lines of moving traffic in the

direction of travel.

(d) Upon a one-way street.

(e) Upon a highway divided into two roadways where

traffic is restricted to one direction upon each of such

roadways.

The provisions of this section shall not relieve the driver of

a slow moving vehicle from the duty to drive as closely as

practicable to the right hand edge of the roadway.

Pass on Right Safely

21755. The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and

pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions

permitting such movement in safety. In no event shall such

movement be made by driving off the paved or main-traveled

portion of the roadway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kal ain't the only place. I find myself doing it more and more (mostly in left lane blocker situations) here in illegal Minnesota. Yesterday, when I chanced upon a closed entrance to my usual route, I used my small footprint to circumvent about 100 cars trying to enter via another lousy one, gathering up a Wide Glide from the middle of the pack who was reluctant until I came along. There is no substitute for a bike in these situations, and if after a hundred successful maneuvers I happen to get a ticket for it, I will consider it completely worth it.

BTW lane sharing is when two motorcycles are side-by-side in the same lane. Legal but unsafe (except at a red light). Lane splitting is riding over the dashed white line.

Lane sharing is when two vehicles share the same lane, such as a car and a motorcycle, and is not illegal by law in California.
In researching Lane Sharing for the Forum's California Motorcycling Laws and Resources Page, I found a lot of incidental evidence that lane splitting - as in riding on/over the dashed white line - is not legal. There are reports of motorcyclists being cited for violations of CVC 21658a, which reads:

21658. Whenever any roadway has been divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic in one direction, the following rules apply:
(a) A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practical entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from the lane until such movement can be made with reasonable safety.
When done prudently, lane sharing - riding in the unused portion of a lane next to another vehicle - is a safe and legal way for motorcycles to move through congested traffic. Lane splitting, or riding over the dashed white line, increases your odds of being cited.

In researching Lane Sharing for the Forum's California Motorcycling Laws and Resources Page, I found a lot of incidental evidence that lane splitting - as in riding on/over the dashed white line - is not legal. There are reports of motorcyclists being cited for violations of CVC 21658a, which reads:

21658. Whenever any roadway has been divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic in one direction, the following rules apply:(a) A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practical entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from the lane until such movement can be made with reasonable safety.
When done prudently, lane sharing - riding in the unused portion of a lane next to another vehicle - is a safe and legal way for motorcycles to move through congested traffic. Lane splitting, or riding over the dashed white line, increases your odds of being cited.
Correct you are!
The white lines are considered the shoulder, or start of it. The yellow line represents a barrier, you can not cross.

The interesting thing here is, the law states that for HOV lanes, if you cross OVER the double yellow line you then have entered or exited illegally. Riding on top of that line, well..... it's a fine line (pun intended). I got a ticket for being on the line in an HOV. The Traffic School guy said I should have fought it. I didn't want it on my record, maybe next time.

As I stated earlier, it's up to the LEO and if they deemed it safe, etc.

I thought that black line between the yellow lines was a motorcycle only lane :huh:

:p

I lane share almost as fast as Richard, ask JB B)
That's a 'firm, the crazy nut.

That article was spot on. But I always get a kick out of it when I read the part (always included in the official magazine articles on this topic) about how the rider-writer always tucks back into line when traffic begins moving at 30 MPH. My :asshat: he does. There is no serious urban-environment commuter who hangs with traffic if it's going 30 MPH on the freeway. No f**king way! It's the freeway slalom, baby! :yahoo:

I lane share almost as fast as Richard, ask JB B)
That's a 'firm, the crazy nut.

That article was spot on. But I always get a kick out of it when I read the part (always included in the official magazine articles on this topic) about how the rider-writer always tucks back into line when traffic begins moving at 30 MPH. My :asshat: he does. There is no serious urban-environment commuter who hangs with traffic if it's going 30 MPH on the freeway. No f**king way! It's the freeway slalom, baby! :yahoo:
Nuh-uh! We always, every time, without fail, tuck back in. THEN we slalom! At least that's what I was doing when I passed the CHP cruiser on the way home tonight. :)

I know (or knew) someone who would argue with your lane sharing/splitting definition...... sadly he is now longer around to argue the point.
I think this is the quote you may be referring to:

"It's all about public perception. 'Splitting' is a negative word, whereas 'sharing' is positive. As example: Would you rather share my pie or have your head split open? ;) "

"It's all about public perception. 'Splitting' is a negative word, whereas 'sharing' is positive. As example: Would you rather share my pie or have your head split open? ;) "

:D :D :D

This thread is actually right on point as far as a recent discussion in my household.

I usually commute to work 4 to 5 days per week. My typical ride doesn't call for lane sharing on the freeway (I'm either in a carpool lane or toll road). However, when I come to street intersections I'll usually share my way straight to the front. ;)

Anyhoo...I don't normally like to discuss the result of the media's fascination with motorcycle accidents, but a particular article in the Orange County Register (CA) has got my wife all in a tizzy. The other morning my wife asked me if I split lanes regularly. After I answered yes, she told me all about another fatal accident on the freeway involving a motorcyclist (RIP). I of course started with the "where is the section that talks about all the car accidents for the day....or bicycle accidents....or skateboard accidents....etc.". When that didn't seem to make a dent in her enthusiasm, she preceded to tell me about all the "comments" to the online article.

Wow, what an eye opener (unfortunately) it was to read those. I was surprised by all the misinformed, even hateful comments about lane sharing and motorcyclists in general. I realize it's the internet and of course everybody is right because they have a keyboard. But, wow, just look at the volume of comments to this article.

OC Register article

I guess the good news is that there are some instances of reason buried in all those comments.

My point is that perception is often reality and I guess the reality is that a lot of California motorists need some education.

Stay safe,

John

OC Register article
I guess the good news is that there are some instances of reason buried in all those comments.

My point is that perception is often reality and I guess the reality is that a lot of California motorists need some education.

Stay safe,

John
Or a good percentage of the California Motoring Public is hostile to motorcycles without realizing it. IMO, their actions and speech reveal a certain passive-aggressive attitude that is most likely exhibited while they're driving. They would probably deny it bu a video of their driving habits would likely prove otherwise.

No amount of education will change those who are frustrated by traffic and upset that the motorcyclist is "beating" the log jam.

OC Register article

Stay safe,

John
Or a good percentage of the California Motoring Public is hostile to motorcycles without realizing it. IMO, their actions and speech reveal a certain passive-aggressive attitude that is most likely exhibited while they're driving. They would probably deny it bu a video of their driving habits would likely prove otherwise.

No amount of education will change those who are frustrated by traffic and upset that the motorcyclist is "beating" the log jam.
I got about two comments into the responses and immediately closed the page, having been reminded of the adage that getting into a debate, discussion, or argument on the Internet is like winning the Special Olympics: you may have won, but you're still retarded. I also remembered a comment I read in an interview by a song writer who said he used to eagerly read the comments on his videos till he realized everyone commenting on YouTube is a moron. The moron brigade is out in force responding to news articles, including this one. Don't waste your time.

My opinion is that lane sharing is how I describe it to non-riders; lane splitting is what I use when talking to people I know or other riders. Something I read or discussed with someone boiled down to that California is one of the few states that are missing a law stating only one vehicle may occupy a lane of traffic, and this this why it's ok in some situations, excepting safety concerns. I thought I read it on this site, including where CHP was instrumental in getting law changed to allow this, so that their motor units would stop baking in LA traffic. I got the impression that this was a bigger factor than all the Hells Angles that had air cooled engines sitting with no air flow in > 100 degree weather. But, back to what I wanted to say.

I also don't ride on the white DOT spots unless I get surprised by one lane or the other.

I asked a motorycle cop one time (don't remember now if it was chp or city) about what's the bad things about most people that split lanes. What I took away (ie what I remember) is that splitting is fine, if you stay in one of the lanes and aren't travelling more than about 15 over the slower lane (the one you're in and the adjacent lane) or else he'll nail your ass for unsafe driving.

He was also adamant about none of that 'weaving in and out stuff' which I at first thought he meant darting from one lane over into the next one when cars in the two lanes basically have their trailing and leading bumpers even. I later decided that he was talking about that, but also about running over the dotspots. I try (mostly succesfully) to only lane split when I can stay off the dotspots and not cross over them while running down the middle.

Also, I try to not split unless traffic is moving less than 45. I used to stick to that adamantly, but somewhere around 9 months of dailing commuting to work, I realized that my morals had loosened somewhat....I would sometimes do it faster. Usually, when I realize it, I knock it off immediately. Usually. :) (Yeah, right, well I *try* anyway.)

I gotta chime in here, too, that discussions like this are one great thing that happens on this forum. I really appreciate seeing what others think, and as in this thread (so far), it can stay non-hostile. Thanks.

Mike

Hey Hans did you notice the bike stopped on the left side of the freeway @3.27 in your video?????

Lane splitting ("sharing" sorry Tim) keeps you young....

R

I love this topic. And its lane splitting you Politacally Corrct loving monkeys.

I know (or knew) someone who would argue with your lane sharing/splitting definition...... sadly he is now longer around to argue the point.
I think this is the quote you may be referring to:

What does it matter if I share or split the pie? They are both positive.