Install TPMS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tesla

Reaction score
Just bought a Orange Electronics TPMS and the installation instructions state that the wires should be attached to the motorcycles fuse box. Just popped the cap of the main fuse box next to the battery and can't see how to do this. It states to connect red wire to positive electrical connection and connect black wire to negative connection. Any ideas?

You might want to consider just connecting it to the power/ground of the power outlet. Quick and easy.

While keeping the TPMS constantly powered gives you the opportunity to check tire pressures immediately when you go out to the bike for a ride the downside is that you are putting a constant load on the batery. My bike sometimes sits a while between rides. I found that I needed to keep the bike hooked up to a battery tender or risk running the battery down enough that the bike would not start. Mind you that I still have the original battery in my 06AE and it is at the end of its lifespan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran my Smartire off a relay that also powers the heated grips, cruise and voltmeter. I just installed Orange Electronics tpms on my wife's car. $103 from Amazon. Nice unit with a great psi readout.

Just bought a Orange Electronics TPMS
I just bought one as well. (I'm just a little east of you off I-30) I would be interested in seeing where you end up installing the display. I will power the device through my Fuzeblock.

Just bought a Orange Electronics TPMS
I just bought one as well. (I'm just a little east of you off I-30) I would be interested in seeing where you end up installing the display. I will power the device through my Fuzeblock.
I'm at Rockwall Honda Yamaha right now and they are telling me that they can't get the front one to seal properly because of the curvature of the wheel.

Also sold me a Michelin Power Pure for the rear tire. How do these compare to the Pilot Road 2 it replaced?

I'm at Rockwall Honda Yamaha right now and they are telling me that they can't get the front one to seal properly because of the curvature of the wheel.
That doesn't make much sense. The stem should seal in the hole through the rim, not against the bottom of it. And they are made for motorcycle wheels so I don't see how they wouldn't be made to accommodate the curvature. :blink:

Also sold me a Michelin Power Pure for the rear tire. How do these compare to the Pilot Road 2 it replaced?
That is a sport bike tire. It'll stick like glue, but you're going to wear through it fast on a fat girl like the FJR. Enjoy it while you can. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
How long does it take the TPMS to "boot up" when first powered on?

I'd be tempted to hook it up to a switched power source.
The manual with the Doran system stated that it could take up to six minutes for the system to capture tire pressures. This was unacceptable to me so I decided to keep my system constantly 'live'.

However the few times that I have killed the power to the TPMS I have found that the 'sync' time is much shorter than six minutes( more like 30 seconds).

That doesn't make much sense. The stem should seal in the hole through the rim, not against the bottom of it. And they are made for motorcycle wheels so I don't see how they wouldn't be made to accommodate the curvature. :blink:
Possibly the degree of curvature is to great for the sensor? It's a fairly new TPMS and I got one of the new 74PSI versions which is supposed to be the same size as the previous lower PSI versions.