Installed the GSG Mototechnik Sliders Today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
Well, today I installed the GSG Mototechnik sliders available from Wild Hair Accessories (Wild Hair Accessories). I admit they did take a couple months to get in from the time I ordered them, but I believe they were back-ordered and came from Germany.

All in all it was a fairly easy project, and took probably about 2 hours altogether. Following are some pics of the installation process, and comments about lessons learned.

It's easy to get overwhelmed at first with all the parts:

356541850_b05e4c736a.jpg

So you have to get organized:

356538622_fbfa148dd4.jpg

I loaded up this web site, Slider Install Page, which was quite helpful, but didn't answer all my questions as I embarked on the project:

I removed the farings, and then located the two engine-mounting bolts on each side that corresponded to the mounting holes in the slider brackets:

356538626_67d025587a.jpg

Note that the mounting brackets are identified as being for the left or right sides by the corresponding letter stamped into the metal:

356538627_9070ff0cdd.jpg

Also, the left- and right-side brackets require different-sized bolts, which come with the kit. The longer bolts both go on the left side; the shorter ones on ther right:

356538628_abf13ba7a0.jpg

The kit also comes with two different-sized spacers:

356538630_ff55667040.jpg

At first I couldn't even figure out what the spacers were for. But I initially presumed that, because the kit comes with two of everything, one of each-sized spacer goes on each left and right side of the bike. I finally figured out that the spacers drop in below (under) the bracket to fill the recess left from removing the original factory bolts.

Each side has two similar-sized recesses. So it turns out one side (left) takes both the larger spacers, and the other (right) takes the smaller spacers. The web site link above does not say anything about this; and the kit instructions are not that clear, until you figure it out and then can find them in the diagram. So the different-sized spacers correspond to different-sized bolts:

356538629_a019155ff7.jpg

356541836_3c6fe15868.jpg

356541838_ca17582619.jpg

I then removed one factory bolt from the bike, and mounted one side of a bracket. Then I did the corresponding bracket side on the other side of the engine. I repeated this till all four bracket bolts were installed. The reason for going back and forth was to ensure I did not dislocate the engine threads from the frame while removing the original factory bolts. BTW, you re-use the original foctory washers.

I was wrenching one bolt on the right side of the bike and found I couldn't get it to seat (had quite a length still sticking out). Then I figured out that I'd mixed up the bolts and inadvertently tried to insert a left-side (long) bolt in the right side. That was soon straightened out, and all came together quite easily.

I then torqued the bolts to spec. Skyway notes two posts down that you should torque the left side bolts before the right, as the engine alignment in the frame takes place on left side.

Here's what the brackets look like installed. I realized that the reason the slider bracket bolts are so substantial is not because the slider needs such beefy structural strength, but simply because the farkle is cannibalising into the existing engine-mounting holes and therefore needs to replace and maintain the original engine-mounting structural integrity.

356541845_6d815c6ca5.jpg

After replacing the faring, you see that the bracket perfectly lines up with the openings in the faring, and is ready to receive the slider. The pic makes is look like one side of the circular mounting base is behind the faring; but in fact it is cut at that exact angle in line with that of the faring.

356543419_18b50ec8fb.jpg

You then just have to screw on and torque down the slider itself, and voila!

356543424_8011a0b583.jpg

356543429_101ed45645.jpg

Believe it or not, the part of the job that took relatively more time, effort, and frustration was removing and replacing the @#$%*! inside faring panels! :blink:

Now I'm all set for dropping the bike on its side while washing it!--or worse...???! :unsure:

Jb

Last edited by a moderator:
JB - You never mentioned this in your post, but you should torque the left side bolts before the right, as the engine alignment in the frame takes place on left side.

How much were the sliders? Is the mounting bracket designed to distribute the weight more broadly in the event of a tip over? Do Skyway's sliders include a similar bracket?

How much were the sliders?
I paid $200, which seemed like a lot, and about twice as much as other sliders. I was told it's because of the special mounting bracket and engine bolts. But I know those farings are more than that! Also, they are custom-designed (so I understand) for the FJR. And the fit is quite good.

Is the mounting bracket designed to distribute the weight more broadly in the event of a tip over?
I can't say from an engineering perspective, but the brackets are broad and torqued down against the engine using substantial bolts, so on the face of it I'd say yes.

Do Skyway's sliders include a similar bracket?
i_know_nothing.jpg

Jb

Last edited by a moderator: