Installing a techmount on the steam

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Righty-tighty lefty-loosey ;)

A little tape around the hex can save you some socket marks.

Only trick for me was getting the 30 something mm socket for the job. Most auto parts stores will sell this as it is a common size for an wheel axle nut. I like mine with my GPS on it but any other farkle would be fine there also.

Its a 36mm socket. I doubled up shop rag works just fine to protect the finish of the nut and to tighten up the fit of the socket. I've done a couple of the Techmounts and the only thing I can really suggest is to use locktite on the bottom mounting bolt (the one that goes into the steering stem nut).

I've got risers and did not have to remove the bars to remove/replace the 36mm stem nut.

I did have to remove the right side bar to be able to tighten the mount fittings.

If you do remove either of the bars be sure to keep the reservoirs level. If not you'll have air in the lines and will have to bleed the lines. Ask me how I learned that lesson.

If you have bar risers, the socket won't fit................ya got'ta remove 'em.
I have risers on my '07, anad I didn't have to remove them either. Nor do I have to remove one to tighten things up. It may just be the specific risers you're using.