Installing goldvalves without their rebound kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackB12

Reaction score
I've had it with the completely wrong spring and damping rates on my 2005 FJR. On my last bike I installed the Racetech goldvalves and springs with excellent results. I'd like to do the same with the FJR but I noticed they offer the rebound kit as well as compression kit. With my Bandit i replaced only the compression valves and springs. For the FJR I'd like to try the same, but was wondering if I should just pony up and replace it all at once.

Also, my Bandit had NO external compression or rebound damping adjustments, the FJR does. But, after I do the RT install will I still be able to use the external adjusters? OR do they only work with the stock internals?

MIke

I have installed both compression and rebound valves and springs on my 05. It is well worth the money--especially the rebound valve. With the stock valves and the rebound adjustment screwed all the way in there was still not enough rebound damping. With the RaceTech rebound valve you have mucn more control over rebound and it makes a noticable difference when riding.

Don't order seals or dust covers from RaceTech. They have the FJR fork listed as a 43mm on their website but it's really 48mm. The FJR uses a Kayaba fork but they seemed confused as to the right seals--they eventually sent me 48mm seals but they still didn't fit on the outter diameter. Also, if you get springs you need to order the largest diameter spring they list--not the one they recommend--again 43mm vs. 48mm diameter.

Send me an email if you have questions. [email protected]

thanks for the quick reply 3dogs. I noticed that RT likes to use skinny springs in the FJR which makes them very noisy. I was planning on using Sonic Springs. So with the rebound kit you can still adjust rebound with the adjuster on the fork? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've only been inside non-adjustable forks like the stock Bandit 1200 and stock SV650 forks. I'm sure once I see it it will make sense, but right now I'm not sure.

MIke