Installing the top case on the 2006

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knifemaker

Not me
Reaction score
Well, got the top case mounted. It would seem that they either gave me the wrong base or they just do not have one for the 06 yet..not sure. But the part they gave me (# 5JW-W0720-00) consisted of three very long bolts, two LONG metal spacers or tubes , and the plastic base. If I were to have followed the instructions that were in the box, the base would have looked like some kind of launching ramp, because the front would have been tilted WAY up compared to the back. Looking at pics of 05 and 04 FJR's, the tail "rack" is fairly flipped up in the back, so I can see the reason for the long spacers. The 06 has no "rack" and is not angled up as high.

Not letting the lack of proper parts stop me, I experimented with diffrent bolt lengths until I found the right combo. I took one of the metal spacers, which are just thick aluminum tubes ...and cut it in half. Making two smaller spacers 30mm long. I then cut a piece off the other spacer, just 10mm long-this one was for the bolt nearest the rear, and the two 30mm ones went under the base at the front.

I used three 60mm long bolts for all three holes.(They are M8 bolts) My only concern is the base has four rubber bumpers underneath it that I would guess are supposed to rest on the tail piece of the bike. The front two do, but the two rear ones do not. I plan to remedy this by inserting two thick pieces of rubber.

If anyone has installed the Yama top case on their 06 and did not have to do all this, (meaning you likely got the right parts) Let me know the part number off the box.

I do plan on contacting Yamaha about this, as I am sure they really do have, or will have , the right base mount...But this will to until then.

Photos at:

https://community.webshots.com/user/CireL

KM

The reason they gave you the wrong parts is because the mount for the 2006 has not been released yet- though the top boxes have been delivered. Last I heard Yammy was still doing some testing of the new mounts.

Sometimes I wonder why some dealers are soooo clueless.

John

I can believe that John, but if you look at that photo that was posted of the "first bike in north america"..which was Canada..the bike has a top case mounted on it...so what is the story there?

KM

I thought that the rack on the '06 looked like it might accept the trunk without a seperate mount. I could be wrong on this, but I got that impression by the opening at the rear.

I hope you haven't drilled you bodywork yet!

The 06 is, or should be..a no drill deal. There are 3 bolts that do match up with the three holes in the base. The problem as I see it, the base needs to be reconfigured some so the rubber bumpers actualy touch something. I used much shorter bolts than the ones supplied. I would guess that they will still require some spacers, simular in size to the ones I made.

I did replace the rear 10 mm spacer I used and instead used 2 washers, and then stuck two pieces of 3/16 thick rubber under the airborne pads. This leveled the case a bit more...but I still rather have the proper base for the 2006...

more to follow...

KM