Instantaneous Fuel Consumption Mode Wrong

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone considered that with the longer WB, and added weight that 17mpg may be the best the bike can get now?
Think about it- we are all reporting 17 mpg- an extreme coincidence and are all getting higher avg MPG- somewhere around 40ish- sounds like you are doing the fuzzy math that Bush is classic for :D

Has anyone considered that with the longer WB, and added weight that 17mpg may be the best the bike can get now?
Think about it- we are all reporting 17 mpg- an extreme coincidence and are all getting higher avg MPG- somewhere around 40ish- sounds like you are doing the fuzzy math that Bush is classic for :D
No.

I think FNG made a most excellent funnee about your new 06 FJRs. One it seems, that you didn't quite pick up on. :eek:

Hee hee hee.

:D

Oh great! if we ride with 06's in the crowd will be stopping all the time for fuel! :bleh: At least with the harley crowd your stopping for booze! :D

Maybe 17 is mpl?
if it was liters, it would be measuring distance in km!

Definatly sounds like a programming problem. Surprised yamaha would be unware of such a large problem.

Still no one with a WORKING readout?

[SIZE=14pt]I just picked up my FJR from the dealer after its 300 mile safety check. I reported the issue with the instantaneous MPG readout. They checked out the IP and test drove the thing to confirm the problem. Bottom line is they don't know what is wrong with it. Yamaha told them that they had a "few" reports of this issue and were checking into it. I handed the dealer hardcopy from threads on the issue from this board as well as two other FJR boards were it is being discussed. [/SIZE]

Let your dealer know you have a problem. I work for an OEM (Cars) and spent 8 years on the manufacture side of these issues. The bigger the numbers (of complaints) the faster they will respond.

Weekender.

This is going to throw a wrench into the works. I guess we don't have it all figured out. I just picked up my bike and I was actually surprised by the instantaneous mileage readout it has.

Maybe 17 is mpl?
if it was liters, it would be measuring distance in km!

Definatly sounds like a programming problem. Surprised yamaha would be unware of such a large problem.

Still no one with a WORKING readout?
Didn't really think so, just throwing out something in the nature of looking at it differently. The fact that it seems to top at 17 regardless but has expected results in the average mpg suggested that it is a programming error or such. If everyone has it I smell a recall. :D

Or a gas leak. <_<

Ari, for a less clear head. You saying that yours appears to be working properly?

Sheeeite... if they can't even get the mpg to work right can you imagine how well that ECU controlled automagicalshifterbike is going to work? ;)

I'm stuck at 17 too.

Yuup, roger that, stuck at 17 too. Looks like a major malfunction control. Were comin in. PM. <>< :D

ditto here

picked mine up yesterday, having read about this earlier was curious to see mine. sure enough 17 thats it. think its kinda useless feature, but definately should work. would rather have it fixed instead of rebate. fortunately its not a useful thing like fuel guage or gear indicator.

Send all of them back and tell them to just return them as 05 models...once removed.

Hi Everyone

This is my views and thoughts on the instantaneous and average fuel mileage issue.

Sorry for the long post up front.

First My bike is an 06 Canadian model. That is, my speedometer/odometer is in kilometers per hour and not miles per hour. The Canadian bikes instantaneous fuel/mileage indicator is in kilometers(km) per liter. km/l

After resetting the average screen, I went out to test the system on the road.

The instantaneous screen varies due to load, speed, gear selection, etc. and it has from blank at a stop to 15, 22, 36 km/l

the average screen after a kilometer read from 16 to 17.4 km/l along my ride.

When I park the bike the instantaneous shows just two dashes __. This is normal.

The average screen showed 17.4 km/l.

Now, 1 us gal = 3.79 liters

1 imp gal = 4.55 liters

with the average screen showing 17.4 km/l that would mean I get 17.4 X 3.79 = 65.95 km per us gal

1 mile = 1.6 km Therefore 65.95 divided by 1.6 = 41.22 miles. This would mean that my bike gets 41.22 miles/ us gal.

I believe my bike is functioning correctly.

Now some food for thought.

The bikes sold in the U.S.A. should be reading miles per gallon. Even though your bike screen is indicating miles per gal I wonder if the number being shown is actually the same as our canadian bikes ie: km/l

This would explain why so many people say they are getting 17.2 miles per gal.

My gut feeling is it might be giving you km per liter.

If this is the case, Yamaha changed the km/l to m/gal but forgot to change the actual number. (just a math issue)

I hope this kind of makes some sense.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi EveryoneThis is my views and thoughts on the instantaneous and average fuel mileage issue.

Sorry for the long post up front.

First My bike is an 06 Canadian model. That is, my odometer is in kilometers per hour and not miles per hour. The Canadian bikes instantaneous fuel/mileage indicator is in kilometers(km) per liter. km/l

After resetting the average screen, I went out to test the system on the road.

The instantaneous screen varies due to load, speed, gear selection, etc. and it has from blank at a stop to 15, 22, 36 km/l

the average screen after a kilometer read from 16 to 17.4 km/l along my ride.

When I park the bike the instantaneous shows just two dashes __. This is normal.

The average screen showed 17.4 km/l.

Now, 1 us gal = 3.79 liters

1 imp gal = 4.55 liters

with the average screen showing 17.4 km/l that would mean I get 17.4 X 3.79 = 65.95 km per us gal

1 mile = 1.6 km Therefore 65.95 divided by 1.6 = 41.22 miles. This would mean that my bike gets 41.22 miles/ us gal.

I believe my bike is functioning correctly.

Now some food for thought.

The bikes sold in the U.S.A. should be reading miles per gallon. Even though your bike screen is indicating miles per gal I wonder if the number being shown is actually the same as our canadian bikes ie: km/l

This would explain why so many people say they are getting 17.2 miles per gal.

My gut feeling is it might be giving you km per liter.

If this is the case, Yamaha changed the km/l to m/gal but forgot to change the actual number. (just a math issue)

I hope this kind of makes some sense.

Dave
I prefere to think that they only get 17mpg! :D