Insurance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Penguin

Silver Penguin
Reaction score
DH bought himself some wheels this weekend. Since he couldn't find a bike as cool as the FJR, he settled for a BMW K1200S. The dealer has a policy that prevents new bikes leaving the store without written proof of insurance. We've never encountered this before. Called State Farm's 24hr line and asked for a binder. The clerk was happily processing the request until she found out that it was for a BIKE!!! No can do. Cars only. Bikes don't get binders. This was for a 17yr account holder who gives the company lots of $$ every month and has lots of bikes already covered.

So...... we call around other companies to get some coverage. The going rate was about $1800/yr all except GEICO. The lizard wanted FIVE THOUSAND dollars per year. Can you believe it?

We had to summon all our reserves of patience, leave the bike in the shop and come back on a business day with our $800 State Farm coverage.

Jill

Jill,

I feel your pain....Living in NYS (Long Island especially), riding a sport bike and having a DWI conviction within the last 10 years I don't even want to think about what they are going to want to charge me for the FJR. I figured I would cross that bridge when I came to it. I never carry collision on any of the bikes because it is just less expensive to "self insure" myself and pay any bike damage out of pocket. I own a VFR800 that they wanted to charge me $1800.00/year on because I was going to carry a loan.....and this was pre DWI!! It was simply cheaper for me to pay for the bike out of pocket and consequently pay $145.00/year in insurance instead. $800.00/year for that bike sounds pretty reasonable to me. Good luck with it, hope everything works out O.K. for you guys...

I have had State Farm for over 20 years and have purchased many cars in that time and drove off covered under prior coverage for up to 7 days. As I understand your post,it was the dealer preventing the sale not the carrier. I was covered on my bike when I got it on a weekend and called Monday to change policy over (I guess this may only work on a trade). I keep SF on everthing but my bike. I changed to Progressive. MO better coverage for less money. The Lizard was double +1/2 SF. No other company wanted to carry just a bike. They wanted at least one car.

What I find ironic (moronic) about the BMW dealer is they give test drives with proof of a driver's lic., but would not let you ride after a purchase. Proof of insurance is generall dictated by the lein holder.

hey,

I got my insurance the day I bought my bike ,, on the phone ,, just paid my down payment and I was covered ,, Progressive ,, and they have been great !! paid in 3 days after my knock over,,

checkem out!!!

When I got my FJR I put the insurance coverage on it with the same company that held my Venture's insurance, which at the time was about $300 for full coverage. My agent figured the FJR's insurance would be about the same as it was the same CC's and less weight even though the FJR is considerably cheaper then my Venture. Imagine my surprised when I got a bill for $2500 for just the FJR! The next day I was insured through Nationwide for about $550. It was obvious that the first company just wasn't interested in covering a bike they must see as a rocket. I thought of switching my Venture over to Nationwide but they couldn't beat the price I had already. I guess it just doesn't matter that the owner/rider is a old granny that only rides on Sunday going to and from church ;)

Just a few weeks ago I looked into State Farm's prices. They could beat the price from Nationwide on the FJR but only if I insuranced at least 2 vehicles or my home with them. They couldn't come close to my Venture insurance (American Modern Home) or my car insurance and my home wasn't acceptable to their high standards so all my insurance policies stayed right where they were.

Word of warning, don't just take a phone quote, get them to fax you a copy! I had my ST covered with a company for chump change and bought a ZX9R: was quoted approximately $500/year on the 9 and was billed for over $1,000 a few days later. I found a much better price with another company but the pricks charged me over $100 to cancel the policy. Ian, Iowa

I have my Roadstar insured for about $300/yr. The FJR for about $800/yr. Both through Progressive. 1670cc vs. 1300. Things that make you go hmm.

I might just give Nationwide a call about the FJR... It sounds like they might go off of cc's rather than "type of ride".

Have any of you guys tried going through a broker? That's always worked best for me. My FJR insured for $356.00 through Foremost, 300,000 cap, full coverage, 500 deductable.

The Roadstar VS. FJR shouldn't be a surprise really. The Roadstar is a nice cruiser, it's not something that you go flying around on like you can on an FJR.

JS

Whoa! Some of these rates are unreal! I'm almost afraid to say what my rates are for fear I'll hex myself. Like FJRFencer, I've had multiple cars insured through State Farm for the last 23 years. My agent told me to drop her a check before I went to the dealership, but I got full coverage with a $250 deductible for $303.07 per year! I took a picture of an FJR with full luggage dress and made sure she understood it was a high-tech touring bike and not a sport bike. I pointed out the safety features like ABS brakes, adjustable windshield, lower weight, and large rubber contact. It may have helped that there were so few of these bikes with rating data out there. With the demographics of this bike being what they are, it seems that the rates should stay fairly low comparatively. Unless... somebody's just having to much fun in the wrong places! :oops:

in the 5 boros of n.y.c the rates are crazy last years rate of 1200 bucks this year with geico is 1099 . full cov. with a 500 payback for any claims. i live in staten island . if i was in brooklyn the rate would be a lot higher it goes with the area .

Call Allstate. They were giving bike insurance away this summer.
Allstate will not write MC policies in Cali anymore. Don't matter if you have your house and cars insured with them, either. They opted out of our litigious state a number of years ago...

Dairyland. Had it covered before I went to pick it up. When Progressive was quoting everyone $1600 a year, Dairyland covered me for $50 more than my 98 Wing ($550). The next year it dropped to $450. And now it's $275 a year.

100/300/50 w/250 deductible on full coverage and $3000 in accessories before you need to get an accessory rider.

The trick it so compare it to a Concours or R1100RT or K1100LT when talking to them. Don't let them go wandering around and find idiotic marketing hype like "SUPERSPORT touring" to color their perceptions.

--update--

i don't carry pip because i have health and life insurance through a different vehicle. carrying it through bike insurance is more costly and redundant if you have the appropriate coverage elsewhere. if you carry duplicate policy coverage you'll only get paid once and the insurance companies can also start a fight over who pays them back from which pot of cash.

Look up The Hull Agency out of Ft. Worth and call them if you want for a quote. I've handed out that contact more than once in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always enjoy reading the "Insurance" threads because much of the shared information is lacking at best.

I have used State Farm for ALL of my insurance (auto/home/motorcycle) and they have been the cheapest motorcycle insurance for my GL1800 with the following coverages:

1) 100/300/50 Liability

2) 100/300/50 Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist

3) 250 deductible on collision / comprehension.

4) PIP 2500

For the same coverage on an FJR1300AE with the above coverages, I am getting a quote of $1200 a year.

Here's my challenge if you live in the state of Texas with the same coverages above and you only pay < $500 like a lot of people seem to claim. Please email me your insurance agent's name / phone # and I will give him/her a call (please allow me to drop your name so he/she will know who is sending them the new business).

Be forewarned thought that when I use to do this same challenge on some of the other motorcycle forums, NO one ever had the coverage they claimed to when I was talking with their agents!

Best Regards,

Shane

I guess it really depends on where you live. I pay 330. a year through Geico,full coverage(have loan on bike) 250 deductable.I live in Wisconsin close to Milwaukee.

Another place that was real cheap was

bike-line.com.

I had just the opposite quotes,progressive was the highest at around 1500.

I have state Farm also, 50/100/50, I pay 1200.year for:

05 FJR $300

04 Nissan Titan 4x4 $900

I dont think thats too bad.

No tickets,accidents, Age 32