Intercoms

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard good things on the Autocom set-up - supposedly you can answer your phone at triple digit speed and the person on the other end won't even know that you are on the scoot. Not that I would recomend that by the way. I know Yamahasportscenter in Texarkana has some deals on them - might want to check with Brad or Randy up there.

I had pics of my tankbag setup on STN.

Guess it is too old. Does not show up on search any more.

Basically, I power off a Jastek fairing outlet to my magnetic tank bag.

Keep alll the goddies in the bag.

I use Starcom1, walkman CD/FM, phone. (might try the autocom some day)

I like this setup because no installation is required.

I just jack in the my battery tender outlet and I am good to go.

It is also easy reach for rider and passenger.

The helmet cables dump right into the bag when not in use.

I am a happy camper.

I did have to replace my starcom stereo lead cable.

After it open circuited, I did an autopsy.

Inside the cable insulation was just 3 strands of the tiniest wire gauge imaginable.

No wonder it failed so quickly.

Seems like that cable cost me $20+ too <_< .

Even Radio Shaft had a much more respectable cable for less money.

Can someone explain how the speakers are positioned inside a helmet? Do you need to adjust them each ride? Starcomm Advance is the one I am interested in. I have the ER6i plugs for tunes so I am assuming I couldn't use these?

speakers are held in place by velcro tabs. you should have a helmet that 1) has a recessed area to put the speaker (you don't want the speakers pressing on your ears too much) and 2) has internal pads that separate from the shell so you can run the wires in between the pads and the shell. my shoei rf900 is perfect for this. cheaper helmets have pads glued to the shell so routing wires is a problem. mine stay put just fine in my helmet.

Can someone explain how the speakers are positioned inside a helmet? Do you need to adjust them each ride? Starcomm Advance is the one I am interested in. I have the ER6i plugs for tunes so I am assuming I couldn't use these?
You can use your ER6i's. That's the best way to go IMHO. Starcom sells a PP04 headset which has a 3.5mm headphone jack and a microphone.

fj1200singleshad.gif
So Fudge, You lookin' to upgrade?

So Fudge, You lookin' to upgrade?
Well my neighbor has an '05 FJR based on my recommendation. I've ridden it and it's a nice bike, but I still really like my FJ. My bike has 14K on it and is in pristine shape.

Galena%20STN18%20(Small).JPG

It's a low maitenance machine and tours very well, so I think I'll hang on to it a little longer.

I bought 4 Chatterbox GMRS units. I quickly found out that they won't mount well to an Arai helmet. In addition, the unit's have a non locking multi-pin connecter that attaches them to the audio components inside the helmet. I found that it is extremely easy for the audio cable to pull out at speed, as well as making a hard look right easily disconnect the passenger lead from my helmet. The Chatterbox rep said that the cables didn't lock for safety reasons (how safe is it to fidget with a cable while riding?) to keep someone from somehow snagging himself on a branch on the audio cable loop, (they told me someone did that on a dirt bike, Yeah, RIIIIGHT! ). He suggested that I keep the main unit in my jacket pocket and run all the cables out my neck or sleeve(no thanks). The unit is also awkward to fidget with when mounted on the side of your helmet, particularily if you are wearing gloves (doesn't erverybody?). I returned the four units to my favorite store and they have subsequently dropped the line. :angry:

I think that I will stick to a tank bag unit, or wait till a GOOD blue tooth stereo model is developed.