iphoJRne and starcom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireLt103

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I hope this question hasn't already been answered. I have a 2008 FJR. I have the starcom digital mounted. I would like to mount my iphone 3GS somewhere up front and be able to use the iphone for mainly music and navigation. It would be nice to be able to answer phone calls but that isn't a priority. Any suggestions on how to go about it? Not sure what mount to use. Also, I like the powerlet outlets. Thought I'd power it with powerlet but not sure if that would interfere with the phone cable to the starcom? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I believe RAM makes a mount for the iPhone 3G. IIRC, the form factor of the 3G and the 3GS is identical. The RAM mount looks like it leaves space open for both the headphone jack and the dock connector. I don't know of any waterproof cases that will allow you to use the touch screen on the iPhone inside the waterproof case.

The only picture of the phone cable for the iPhone to Starcom that I found shows a 4 conductor plug and two stereo plugs. The 4 conductor would plug into the head phone jack of the iPhone so you should be able to use the dock connector (connected to a powerlet) in order to power it.

I have the Starcomm Digital and purchased their iPhone cable. It has the standard 3.5mm plug for the iPhone and then splits the Starcomm side into a connector for the "phone" input and one for the "music" input. I have not been able to get it to fully work. I can hear audio from all sources (passenger, music, and caller), and the passenger can hear me but the caller can't hear me. I've worked with Jeff at BikeEffects who sent me another cable to try (INCREDIBLE customer service from Jeff) and also directly with the folks in the UK who make the Starcomm (great folks also). They admitted they haven't worked out all the issues with the iPhone just yet but they sent me yet another cable to try. I haven't tested the new cable but at this point I doubt it's the answer. Hopefully they'll figure it out soon. As far as mounting, I use the RAM iPhone mount. The one I have isn't specifically made for the 3Gs but it snaps in tightly and holds just fine. If it rains, it goes in my pocket or Smuggler.

And to pre-empt those who'd like to scold me for wanting the phone connection in my helmet - it's nice to be able to pull over and answer a call or make a call without have to take unplug your music and take your helmet off.