Iron Butt Rally

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
As October is coming up rather fast, the application time is also approaching. I thought about PMing all IBR vets for their thoughts, but decided to post instead. I am very interested and would like to hear opinions

about decisions concerning running in the IBR.

How many times have you applied?

How many times have you been selected ? (Even if you opted out)

For multi IBR riders :

What was the 2nd time like?

Why did you decide for/against a 2nd IBR?

Does the pressure decrease with experience? (Check points were miserable for me)

Do you regret only running 1 IBR?

Do you regret running a 2nd IBR?

Were your goals different the 2nd time riding?

I am 80% sure I am not applying again, but I would love to hear the experiences of the vets.

Please post up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim, I hear you there!

Butt the other consideration for me when I applied for the first time last year, was AGE. I said to myself that I would apply for the '13, '15, and '17... If I was not "Drawn" by then, well no IBR for me.

I didn't think it would happen. Then when it happened, it came and went so fast.

Now... Just don't know what to do.

I think you should apply and go for it if you think you can appropriately manage any perceived/actual greater risk (from a crazy cert ride you might do anyway). I think that multi day rallies (I've only done two) are about the most fun thing you can do on two wheels.

Oh the questions:

I have never applied to do an IBR.

Doing the one I qualified for left me a taste to do another. Lucky for me I earned a 2015 opportunity as well.

I hope to get first.

<kidding>

Each one is such a unique problem set. I could be satisfied with a much lower standing. If a rally makes you make routing or bonus errors, I think that is challenging too. If you can constantly flex a plan and make the best of it, even better. If a DNF occurs, that's cool too. I will work hard to minimize fatigue instead of maximizing every point. Obviously recognizing signs and maintaining a balance leads to longevity in the hobby.

-Nutjob

So for a newbie I take it there is a IBA Rally ride once a year that you have to be selected to ride in?

So for a newbie I take it there is a IBA Rally ride once a year that you have to be selected to ride in?
Odd years only. Yes, you have to be selected to ride in it. Having participated in one...probably improves your chances of riding in another.

Was that Iggy's new toy on the playa? I saw RJ's pics ... Holy moly ... There went all my respect for riderX (Not really) But you know those pics have a way of making their way around! I would like to know Bounce's position on the IBR(?)

Hopefully I can catch Skooter and pick his thoughts when he's in Florida for the show in a few weeks.

I know not what you speak or at least remember. . .

Oh the other fun thing you can do on two wheels is set the throttle lock and shoot a stainless Kimber Custom Pro Carry II 1911 with the right hand.

Back to regular scheduled IBR talk.

Reputation Tarnished ? ... Indeed
weirdsmiley.gif

Sorry to do this to you, but I'm going to re-direct back to the original non-fuzzy-violet question...
laugh.png

I've applied 3 times.

I've been selected 3 times (As Iggy mentioned, riding in one improves your chances of being drawn for another)

The 2nd time was totally different than the first (and 3rd) for a few reasons. Obviously, the events themselves are designed to be different each time. But also, when I showed up in 2009 I had no pre-conceived notions. I knew how to use my GPS & routing programs, liked my bike set-up, knew I could do some miles. Beyond that it was ALL going to be a surprise. Subsequent years you can't help but having some pre-conceived notions or expectations or ideas and chances are some of those are going to be completely wrong. SOMETHING is going to throw you for a loop, almost guaranteed.

I applied the 2nd & 3rd times because I knew I could do better. I was actually more satisfied with my first finish (26th) than I was with my 2nd (15th) because I felt like 26th was a good representation of my level of effort and I had reached my goals for that rally. The 2nd time I had a lot of screw-ups and bad luck that cost me several finishing positions and I wasn't satisfied that I'd done the best I could. I'm pretty satisfied with this year's finish, so we'll see how itchy I feel when application time comes around...

I think once you finish one IBR, and probably even before, most of the pressure just comes from yourself. But especially once you've got that 3-digit-#, you've shown you can do it. Lots of the very best riders have DNFs on their record because wins usually don't come without taking risks, but I don't think that leaves people (riders or spectators) questioning their abilities. There have been some big-name talents who have ridden multiple IBRs and done some just for fun, not trying to be competitive - it's up to you to decide if you're going to put pressure on yourself or just relax and enjoy the ride. No matter how you finish on subsequent rides, those 3-digits aren't getting any smaller.
wink.png

My goals the first time were to be safe and finish as well as I could, no different than 80% of the field. I felt I reached that goal. The 2nd time was top 10 and I didn't pull it off. A failing microphone cost me two positions all by itself, then that whole eyeball thing, stupid routing mistakes, and Texas took care of the rest. Bad luck happens to everyone, but I was angry about my stupid mistakes and felt like I needed to redeem myself. So after being 90% sure that I wasn't going to apply again, I applied again.

You'll figure out what's right for you. It's expensive, there's no denying that. But it's also tough to see everyone out there being flogged and wishing you were there.
dribble.gif
You did awesome this year and I have no doubts you'd do great in future years, should you choose to ride again.

Very, VERY good advice Wendy! I thank you for it.

This year I did not have a clue what I was doing on leg one. Leg 2, I remember thinking "Finally get to ride!" I was OK with my finish, but real unhappy with the amount of effort I put in.

I watched you on leg 2 busting your butt, while I just sort of cruised into Cali. I caught some boni in route to the hotel then made a bad decision to take the two PE boni past the motel.

I pulled into the motel 5 minutes before penalty. Then the interviews and delay before Leg 3 crushed me. By the time I finally loaded the points into the GPS (I missed 1) I looked out the motel

room window and the lot was nearly empty! I threw everything on the bike and took off without a clue which route I was riding. I saw the Colorado/Texas/Key West/N.C. route and wash't

sure I could pull it off. I pulled over in a parking lot just miles from the motel and decided on the SW crumb trail. Didn't shut the lap top down properly, and it was dead until my rest Bonus

in Mississippi. When I finally consulted it for the last 30 hours, I saw my Kittyhawk blunder.

Overall though... I finished ahead of some that I had no business ahead of, and perhaps 9151pts lost in NC and the turnpike were understandable. I think what bothers me most is that

when I got the 60k needed for finisher, I said to myself "Good now I can enjoy the ride back to Pittsburgh cause this is my ONLY IBR." I found the checkpoints to be unbearably stressful.

Perhaps maybe that would change the 2nd time around. (?) Age is a big factor too.

BTW Wendy, You rode so well, I loved the ride up Pikes Peak!

Age is a big factor too.
You realize that 70-somethings regularly ride and finish the IBR? And while Bob Mutchler isn't the oldest spring chicken in the field--he's done it 6 or 8 times and as a polio survivor. You, me, and most of the others in the field have no clue about age or condition on this.

Regardless, it sounds like you've got it in your blood to do another Tony. I recognize the signs. :)

Fewer of the few that finish a first IBR finish a second or more IBR. And if the motivation to do better is enough to sign up, pay your money, and endure the stress......by all means roll the dice and move your mice!

Just be aware that sometimes the mistress can be cruel and a better finish is not guaranteed. While I did better each of the three times, the second I threw in the towel for about 8 hours on Day 10 and truly limped in on the last one with a cracked shock clevis. The possibility of DNF does go up the lower finish number you aim for.

I've applied 3 times - 2003, 2005 and 2007. I was accepted all three times. Paid for all three times, but only ran the 2003 IBR due to work issues. I haven't applied since 2007 because I was tired of paying and not playing. :)

2003 was a special IBR for me for a lot of reasons. It was also an absolute nightmare for a few reasons. I'm glad I finished the rally, but there's some unfinished business out there. I would not call the unfinished business regrets, though. I will likely apply again at some point, but only if I feel like I'm able to compete at a high level. If all I want to do is ride around for 11 days, I'll do another 48+ or 10/10ths or the Ultimate North America Insanity (aka... The Colonel Jim Young Memorial ride) which is a ride I started back in 2004 and never finished.

So while I would like to ride another IBR, it's not the highest priority item on the list for me right now.

Age is a big factor too.
Regardless, it sounds like you've got it in your blood to do another Tony. I recognize the signs.
smile.png

Just be aware that sometimes the mistress can be cruel and a better finish is not guaranteed. While I did better each of the three times, the second I threw in the towel for about 8 hours on Day 10 and truly limped in on the last one with a cracked shock clevis. The possibility of DNF does go up the lower finish number you aim for.
So True... I think of Bob L. and his Leg 2 PE#34 (?) -The picture in IBA mag. of him at the scoring table is priceless! You combine that photo with his finish line photo, and it is hard not to have the utmost respect for what he endured.

I do not think I could have been so gracious. I lost my rear brakes for much of Leg 3 do to cockiness/stupidity of failing to take unpaved roads off my GPS (From the UCCC) then to make matters worse, I actually felt comfortable on

the "Wild Ass Road" and ran 60-70 most of the way. It was funny... when I reached the pavement and jumped onto the highway, several riders were making hand signals at me (Circling their heads) i thought they were trying to warn

me of overhead surveillance - Now maybe I am thinking they were just saying I was crazy in the head.
smile.png

. It was also an absolute nightmare for a few reasons. I'm glad I finished the rally, but there's some unfinished business out there. I would not call the unfinished business regrets, though. I will likely apply again at some point, but only if I feel like I'm able to compete at a high level.
My thoughts captured in your words. I did not have the home front support that I had wished for. I think that really effected my attitude (Which I think is at least 40% of LD riding) I was happy with the scoring table, as I only gave up 200 or

so points on leg 3 for an entry error.

I wish I had more time to consider applying! (I wish I had more time - common thought for the IBR right?)
weirdsmiley.gif

I applied in 2009 and wasn't selected. I skipped 2011, and reapplied for 2013 and was accepted. I ran, finished and had a great time.

If you've done and enjoyed other rallies, the IBR is an event I highly recommend. It is extremely challenging, fun, and will change you forever. I will not apply for 2015, but probably will go for it again in 2017. I owe my wife a real vacation for both of us, and I used vacation for multi-day rallies for the last four years (Ten'n'Ten 2010, 1088 3-day, Ten'n'Ten 2012, IBR).

The upsides - Well run, challenging and rewarding rally. Great people, new friends made from all over the world, visiting interesting locations, and the opportunity to do something few will ever accomplish.

The downsides - Time commitment. Depending on the starting point, it can eat at least 3 weeks of time off. Cost. $1800 entry fee, hotel bills, lots of fuel. I don't count bike prep, gear or food, as they are something I do anyway. I actually haven't totaled up the cost but its probably about $6k for the rally. I ran over 15k miles with travel to and from.

If you can handle the time and cost - definitely apply. And run every other rally you can. I also highly recommend the Ten'n'Ten. It has 10 and 5 day variants and a different bonus structure that is equally challenging.

For more insight into the different rallies, read my blog posts. https://marks-rides.blogspot.com/

The downsides........ Cost. $1800 entry fee, hotel bills, lots of fuel. I don't count bike prep, gear or food, as they are something I do anyway. I actually haven't totaled up the cost but its probably about $6k for the rally. I ran over 15k miles with travel to and from.
If you can handle the time and cost - definitely apply.
I'm not from round these parts. My all up cost for the IBR was US$60,0000

Would I do it again - oh yeah.

In reading my original post, I see my communication skills sucked again. I ran the 2013 IBR, so I know what the experience was like for me. Many great answers here and lucky for

me, many of the answers came from posters who knew what I meant to ask.
rolleyes.gif
I have seen the statistics on riders repeating the IBR. What the heck makes us do it? I was not the

only one saying "Never Again" Now here I am even considering, and hearing the selection % of those that completed an IBR and applied again, makes me think I should make dog~

gone sure I want to ride it before I apply. I hope that the desire to finish better is not my main reason for another run. I would like to say that perhaps having experienced one could

create a much better experience the 2nd time around. The things I hated about the 2013 were really caused by misperceptions and plain NOT KNOWING How to pull off the tech.

portion of routing. The riding I really enjoyed and the scoring tables were fine (Although the question "Are you ready to be scored?" still gives me shivers.)

Good luck to those who apply for the 2015.

Mike,

Negotiations and peace talks are underway.

It was kind of interesting when I got back from Pittsburgh, she had changed the photo on my Facebook profile to Tobie's photo of me rolling off the start. That was quite surprising considering her reactions to me wanting to prep my bike or practice routing on the laptop prior to the rally.

Last edited by a moderator: