Irritants

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SNOBALLS!!

and those morons that try to pass in the left lane while on cruise control

Are you FN kiddin me.

Just because you have your cruise control set 1 mile an hour faster than the guy in the slow lane doesn't really mean that you are passing.

Now I'm stuck behind 2 fuggers that both have their cruise control set to dumbshit.

Rant off

Da Wolf

Stupid is expected and the horn plus one-finger salute reduces my irritation level a bit with these. For the most part, the "stupids" can't really help it. Just be aware that even though the "stupids" really don't know any better, they are quite capable of killing you inadvertently.

The really irritating ones are the "nice" guys:

The guy that stops in the middle of a block to let a pedestrian jaywalk.

The guy who, when the light turns green, beckons the opposing left-turning driver to go ahead; holding up the line of cars behind him.

The guy who allows a half-dozen cars (who zoomed up ahead in the more open lane) to get back in the lane in front of him.

The guy that is being courteous letting one of the incompetent "stupids" parallel park by holding up his entire line of traffic.

The individual who yields the right-of-way when he should not is at least as likely to cause an accident as the "stupids" and generally impedes traffic flow rather than help.

Yes!!

My wife just doesn't understand why I get so upset when one of these dumb asses pulls one of these "random acts of kindness". To me, these witless drivers are more aggravating than the ones who drive too aggressively.

Being an ex-sailor, I learned that the captain of a ship can be prosecuted for yielding the right of way if that results in a collision. He has a duty and obligation to maintain his current course and heading when meeting others when he has the right of way so that the other vessel can predict what he is going to do, and can make necessary course adjustments to avoid the collision.

The same applies to vehicles on the road, except everything happens much faster. And you'll never see anyone ticketed for being "too courteous" on the road.

Another example of the "kindness hurts" problem are the drivers in the right lane on a multi-lane highway who will slow down and yield their right of way to allow on-ramp drivers a space to merge in. The on-ramp is always marked with a red triangular yield sign, but these kind souls take it upon themselves to slow down, sometimes even braking, and causing a series of brake lights behind them, to let the mergers in. Both the merging driver on the ramp (correctly) and the first lane good Samaritan (incorrectly) will both slow down, and eventually this brings all traffic on the road to a crawl.

Last edited by a moderator:
RossKean posted: <snipped>The guy who, when the light turns green, beckons the opposing left-turning driver to go ahead; holding up the line of cars behind him.

The individual who yields the right-of-way when he should not is at least as likely to cause an accident as the "stupids" and generally impedes traffic flow rather than help.
Heartily agree with second irritant. Yielding RoW when inappropriate is dangerous and illegal.

However, I will yield to an oncoming left turn vehicle when ....

1) there's no left turn lane for them,

2) there's a long line of cars behind them, and

3) there's a long line of cars behind me.

I will offer my own irritant to this list: folks on a cross street who turn right on red when I'm waiting -- on green -- for the intersection to clear. You know, waiting so I'm not caught in the intersection when my light turns red. In essence the right-turn-on-red driver is breaking in line, and it's because I'm trying to avoid creating gridlock.

Another example of the "kindness hurts" problem are the drivers in the right lane on a multi-lane highway who will slow down and yield their right of way to allow on-ramp drivers a space to merge in.
I thought about "that guy" as well but I think I lumped him in with the "stupids" instead. In any case, that is another good example where courtesy can kill. (Or at least impede the flow of traffic.)

For the most part, the "stupids" can't really help it. Just be aware that even though the "stupids" really don't know any better, they are quite capable of killing you inadvertently.
Think about how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. - George Carlin

...Another example of the "kindness hurts" problem are the drivers in the right lane on a multi-lane highway who will slow down and yield their right of way to allow on-ramp drivers a space to merge in. ...
In the UK, it is a very common courtesy for the driver in the "slow" lane (I use "slow" to void the left/right confusion) to move out of the slow lane to allow a joining driver to move on to the highway, to the point where it is more or less expected. This generally works very well, keeps the traffic flowing.
What can happen is that the slow lane driver will sometimes change lanes and impede traffic in the next lane. He may well be avoiding an accident, however, because the joiner probably expects a space to be made, as will the one behind the joiner, who won't expect him to suddenly slow down.

This can then escalate as a driver in the next lane, seeing the probability of the slow lane vehicle moving into "his" lane, moves into the next faster lane to give space for the slow lane driver to move lanes.

Whenever I'm riding on a multi-lane road, I'm always very aware of what might happen as I go by a joining slip road (UK English for "on ramp").

Another example of the "kindness hurts" problem are the drivers in the right lane on a multi-lane highway who will slow down and yield their right of way to allow on-ramp drivers a space to merge in.
On the same note, traffic that actively blocks the slow lane to avoid people being able to merge in front of them drives me freakin' nuts too. Back when I still earned an honest living I had to merge onto a busy interstate from a relatively short access lane. I can't tell you how many times I've been beside traffic that absolutely refuses to let me merge. Sure, I know it's my responsibility to merge safely and the traffic in the right lane is under no obligation to let me. But come on! If a Formula One driver blocks as aggressively as Oscar Grope does sometimes he'd be penalized.

If I'm in the right lane, I'll do as mcatrophy suggests and move left if I can safely. If not, I may slow a couple of miles an hour to allow someone to merge safely, but I won't slow much, and I damn sure won't try to block them.

And how about people who pull to the right lane right on top you while you're trying to merge?
weirdsmiley.gif

Oh crap, now you've got me started.
rolleyes.gif

Since we are talking about irritants, I don't think that should be limited to those that irritate you on the road, should it?

Certain trendy patterns of modern speech irritate the crap out of me.

Like the word "vetted". Yes, it is a word, loosely based on the idea that a veterinarian would make a thorough examination over a diseased animal. But why does it have to get such gawd-awful wide use. It's like you can't watch a single news report, or listen to a single political sound bite without the word coming up. Why isn't it "doctored"? Or maybe "Biologisted", which makes more sense since they use microscopes to do their "vetting"?

And when did the word "Ask" become a noun? I hear all these business people telling me they have one "ask" for me. Wat they mean is a request, but apparently that is too many letters or too many syllables? Makes me want to puke.

I'm sure there are other awesome trendy words and phrases that make you want to wretch too.

I read a article somewhere that motorcyclist are 25% less involved in accidents overall than the rest of the public. Not that hard to understand from our side, we need to be better just to survive on 2 wheels. How far do you look ahead when riding at a good clip? How far ahead do you see a possible problem? How far ahead do you look in a corner? As far as possible, need these skills to survive.

Average cage driver only follows vehicle in front of them and reacts to traffic flow.

Anybody one who can control a motorcycle in a skillful way, has the ability to fly an airplane or helicopter.

Probably my biggest one is locally when fueling up, people decide since I am not as wide as a car, they can use half (or more) of my "lane" to manuever and run in and get their 99cent monster soda.

Maybe I am too sensitive, but I get uncomfortable when there is s moving vehicle within a foot of me or my parked bike with me standing beside it.

The town I work in however is filled with drivers that imagine they are living in "the big city" and routinely roll stop signs, run red lights-as well as the infamous right turn on red without a pause, let alone a stop.

When you come out of store, gas station get back on the road and one of the mirrors is moved. Someone walked into it, 2005 FZ-1 mirrors a bit wider.

You're not to sensitive lack of respect for others is the problem.

If they walked out of store and you when leaning against their car, what do you think they would do?

Blue Ridge Parkway or any curvey scenic roadway with few passing zones: lots of easy on/off turn offs, but so many sightseers go 30 mph and refuse to use them to let you get by.

Blue Ridge Parkway or any curvey scenic roadway with few passing zones: lots of easy on/off turn offs, but so many sightseers go 30 mph and refuse to use them to let you get by.
You're riding wrong. If you get off the BRP and hit some of the dirt roads in the Pisgah Nat'l Forest, folks routinely pull over when you're barreling along whilst standing on the pegs.

You're riding wrong. If you get off the BRP and hit some of the dirt roads in the Pisgah Nat'l Forest, folks routinely pull over when you're barreling along whilst standing on the pegs.
I'll bite. How is that related to my post about riding an FJR through the Blue Ridge?

How do you even do that to a 4 door sedan on a low speed road??? The mind boggles.