Is a Stich waterproof

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, what they said...you'll get wet but there are ways of dealing with it. I bought a XL lightweight rain suit and wear it over the 'stich in the really wet stuff. Drizzle is not a problem, unless the crotch zipper leaks...I live in NorCal, don't ride in the wet much anyway...

I just ordered a new aerostich roadcrafter 1 piece. I was talking to a riding buddy and he said he bought one and the first ride in the rain he was wet. He said wet crotch chest and some on arms.
I have always read good things about the Stich.

Its alot of cash if it doesnt do the job. I want this for all around riding including IBA rides and Rallys.

I dont want to be wet!!! I already have crapy gear for that.
In one word "NO". Mine leaks at the leg zippers and front zipper too. It is one of the best protective suits you can get and convenient to get into and out of, but I sure wish they could design it to be waterproof like the Olympia Phantom one piece. I ordered a cheap 2nd bib style frogg togg and put in on under the RCwhen looks like rain. But that is inconvenient and occasionally I don't have a place or time to change before a frog strangler hits. If I want waterproof and warm, I wear my Olympia AST jacket and FirstGear Hypertex overpants (just got a new pair of TPG overpants that seem great too).

doctorj
My Olympia AST is a godsend in the northwest for the past year, and warm. No rain through the neck hole, but I have a big neck so it is sug. Not really tolerable in true heat and I bring a mesh jacket. After 12000 miles it finally let rain seep through the arms this past trip in rain coming so hard I thought it was hail. I'll wash and try waterproofing. But great for me. I've always wanted a custom stitch, but after hearing this feedback my dream is shifting to a Darien. I still use Nylon/rubberized cheapo pants and though the rain doesn't come through my pants are soaked from sweat. I looked at the cycleport, but the thought of puting liners in to sweat anyway doesn't sound like fun. No perfect system I guess.

Roadcrafter owner and year-round rider with it for the past 5 years. I never had a real crotch leak until one HARD rain here in TX a few weeks ago. When it rains, if you invert the pucker in the lower abdomen to prevent water from pooling in your crotch, the rain seems to be held out in light to moderate rain. I love my 'stitch! Rain, sleet, snow, and temperature range from 25-118 (though above 90 and an evaporative cooling vest is pretty handy), the stitch performs.

Have owned both an off-the-shelf Roadcrafter two-piece and Darien jacket and pants. Used both outfits over a period of about 12 years and found they all leaked to some degree in heavy wet weather. Use of spray on waterproofing (after washing) as recommend by Aerostich, helped.

Sold the Roadcrafter because I never could get it to be sufficiently dry for my use. The Darien Jacket worked very well in the rain but could never get it to break-in for a decent comfort level for daily commuter use. Sold it too.

Currently (under Pacific Northwest riding conditions), I use Darien pants and a Firstgear Kilimanjaro II jacket as the best combination of waterproofness, safety, and comfort under all weather conditions. Of course they don't make the Kilimanjaro II anymore, figures.

My experience for what it is worth.

What they said.

Having said that, I've found the leaking crotch thing is more a function of the shape of you seat (Yes, it's Friday) than how waterproof the suit is. I rode for three years in England and the only time I had a problem was when I would shift forward on the seat (K75S) and allow the water to pool up. Otherwise, no problem. In the real turd floaters, I have a back up $10 set of plactic rain gear from Academy.

Another vote for the Aerostitch Darien combo. After a lifetime of putting on rain gear when it rained (or got cold), I bought the Darien jacket and AD1 (new style Darien) pants. I've only had this gear for 21 months and 25,000 miles, but I still love it. I ride year 'round in the PNW and we gets lots of rain. No leaking yet other than some dampness around the neck during gully washers. I think the key advantage is that the jackets is over the pants and this stops pooling water in the crotch area.

I have a Darien jacket and pants. No leakage at all,but you need to treat them once a year. You need to wash the jacket and pants a couple of times before they loosen up.

It's not perfect, but it works 99% of the time (at least for me).

I've got about 100k on my suit, and the only times I get wet is when the rain comes from the side or I slow down or stop. For anything except a frog strangler, the RC keeps me dry. If it's bad enough to get inside the RC, anything else 'breathable and waterproof' I have is soaked too (gloves, boots, helmet, etc).

I guess the way I see it is that waterproofing is just one aspect of the function of riding. There's also protection, convenience, visibility, etc and for this, the RC is the best I've found (because I would rather keep riding instead of debating whether to stop and put in a liner under a bridge).

I've owned both the 1pc RC and the Darien suit (now using Darien Light jacket after 10 yrs on my original Darien). The 1pc always leaked, Darien has never leaked. Loved my 1pc for everything else about it but the leaking main zipper was it's downfall and it's gone now.

If you want to stay dry, go with the Darien.

This is from real world experince. Yes you can get wet. My Roadcrafter, which I have had for 5-6 years does get wet in prolonged downpours. It can leak along the main zipper during these downpours. For riding in and out of typical rain it is fine, even prolonged light rain or drizzle. But in a long downpour it can be a prolem. More of a damp feeling rather than a soaking through feeling. Still very satisfied with the Roadcrafter. Quite frankly when it has leaked the rain has been so hard I probably should of pulled over and stopped riding until it let up.
+1

I have a one-piece Roadcrafter and it has done a great job of keeping me dry. I have never had any issues with water coming through the zippers and whatnot and I have ridden through some *biblical* thunderstorms.

Mine is 10 years old, and until last summer (when I rode through the heaviest downpour I've ever experienced for 6+ hrs) the only rain I got was the usual trickle down the neck, and the crotch leak that others have already reported. On that occasion I got DRENCHED.

I washed it, then used Nikwax and dried it hot, and on the return trip a week or so later I ran through a few more hellacious storms with no issues at all.

It isn't completely waterproof, but it is pretty good.

Wife has Roadcrafter jacket with Darien pants, and so far she hasn't got wet. Field-tested on a 500 mile trip in the rain from Calgary to CFR in Nakusp.

YMMV.

Griff

Thanks to Everyone for all this great info. I received the RC 1 pc. and am very pleased with the fit. I think for now I am going to keep it and get some riding time in. Hopefully It will keep me comfortable in the upcoming NSR rally.

Thanks to Everyone for all this great info. I received the RC 1 pc. and am very pleased with the fit. I think for now I am going to keep it and get some riding time in. Hopefully It will keep me comfortable in the upcoming NSR rally.

just noticed your in Lonedell. I don't think you'll be wearing your stitch this week.

Holy sheeet its hot. I'd kill for a good soakin today

just noticed your in Lonedell. I don't think you'll be wearing your stitch this week.

Holy sheeet its hot. I'd kill for a good soakin today
Yea Holy crap this heat SUCKS. I hope it breaks before the Not Superman Rally July 9 10

If not that will be a long couple of days

Mabey the heat will thin the grease on the BMW final drive and knock a few of then out :clapping: