Is Fairlaner in Town?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
So I'm commuting home on the freeway tonight, in the dark, on the Feejer-Baby, and man-o-man traffic is a bitch. I'm talkin' five lanes of wall-to-wall stop-and-go metal, a virtual ocean of brake lights, and little room between cars. Besides, I'm carrying a saddlebag (right side; ain't got the left replaced yet), making things even tighter.

I'm feeling a little tired and distracted, thinking about all the devastating replies I should have said earlier in the day to my colleague (instead of "Oh yeah?"), and thinking about that glass of wine I'm gonna have when I get home, and wondering whether TWN is showing signs of early Alzheimers now that he's so f**ing old--in other words, distracted, like I said. So I'm takin' it easy, cruising with traffic, hopping just a few cars at a time, moving between first and second gears, and moving between 20 and 25 MPH ["Who are you really and what have you done with Jimmy Burleigh???!!! :glare: ] Often I got to practice standing still using lots of revs and not put a foot down.

And moreover, I'm doing my hopping and standing still between the number two and three lanes, not between the usual number one and two lanes. The reason is that the fast lane on this stretch of superslab is an added lane, and it is raised several inches above the number two lane. And the edge between the lanes is nasty--all craggy and uneven, with big long holes in some places that a tire can get trapped in (you listening, RicInSac?).

Suddenly a motorcycle flies by, going up between the first and second lanes where that craggy broken pavement shit is that can upset your balance. This dude is going--I swear to God--about 60 MPH. I uttered a loud "F**K!," followed by some comment like, "You are one crazy sumbitch."

I was positive I would be picking up some bloody bits just up ahead and wheeling a bike off the road. But to my amazement, he weren't there. So then I thought, "Man, that dude must be better at this game than I thought."

That you, Fairlaner? :unsure:

Jb

Last edited by a moderator:
No Hans, was not me as i would have waved to you as i went by.

Will be up there next weekend though.

R

No Hans, was not me as i would have waved to you as i went by.Will be up there next weekend though.

R
Where you gonna be? Get together? Ride fast fuckin' motorcycles together? B)

Jb

P.S. Don't get the movie allusion.... :(
I was runnin late, what can I say? :p

The movie line was from The Matrix

P.S. Don't get the movie allusion.... :(
You need to watch the movie (again). Basically, in order to split parked cars at 60, you have to believe the cars aren't even there. Then you create that reality, and you can't hit what isn't actually there.

The dude's name is Neo....

Was that coming down 680? If it was someone on a red Ducati Monster or an 07 FJR, it wasn't me. I wasn't late, and I never "lane share." What's that bucket of broken mirrors you ask? Nasty little gnome keeps getting them while I sleep.

Was that coming down 680? If it was someone on a red Ducati Monster or an 07 FJR, it wasn't me. I wasn't late, and I never "lane share." What's that bucket of broken mirrors you ask? Nasty little gnome keeps getting them while I sleep.
Is that you who pulled up next to me the other day during morning rush hour heading into the Caldecott Tunnel?