Is Harley coming around?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, Saw this Euro only Harley proto. Looks like maybe they have some new talent working there that is willing to try something a little different. https://www.motorcycledaily.com/10october06_hdxr1200.htm

Any thoughts? Would you buy one?

Bill
I read somewhere that a Sporster liquid cooled prototype was spotted in the southwest. They will have to step up to meet the stricter emission standards and to expand their market. That prototype looks better than anything that Buell has put out.

Looks like the bikes the Japs built back in the early 80's! But it is a step forward for HD though! lol 18" wheels, why? That means you can't get good rubber for it either! Still backwards thinking to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Naked sport bikes are big over there. This bike has some of those looks but, you are right an 18" wheel ain't going to cut it. Would be interesting to see what the price point will be. I think Harley is in for big changes over the next few years.

Bill

I like their new Sport Touring bike better.

016.jpg

If Buell gets any more successful they might tell Willie to stick it and do their own thing. About the only thing Harley has that Buell needs is a motor and lots of people build those. Maybe Harley is moving into the retro sportbike market aka Triumph. Harley must have done their research and figured they could move some bikes over there or testing the water to see if it would sell here.

I would get up off my ass and go look at one anyway.

Bill

Looks like the bikes the Japs built back in the early 80's! But it is a step forward for HD though! lol 18" wheels, why? That means you can't get good rubber for it either! Still backwards thinking to me.
The front is an 18 wrapped in a Dunlop Qualifier - good tire.

The rear is standard 180/55-17 - any tire you want.

Until they put a real liquid cooled engine in this, they're doing nothing more than polishing a turd

The front is an 18 wrapped in a Dunlop Qualifier - good tire.

The rear is standard 180/55-17 - any tire you want.

Until they put a real liquid cooled engine in this, they're doing nothing more than polishing a turd
Your not going to get a good profile tire in an 18" rim. The footprint will never be like a 120/70- 17. The rubber will be good, but the profile sucks. Same goes for rear! HD just can't concede that. It's stupid pride and the mentality that if the jap bikes do it we won't!

Hey, Saw this Euro only Harley proto. Looks like maybe they have some new talent working there that is willing to try something a little different. https://www.motorcycledaily.com/10october06_hdxr1200.htm

Any thoughts? Would you buy one?

Bill

Ugly.

Give me an Suzi SV1000, Yammi FZ1, or Honda 919 over that beast any day of the weak.

An ugly sportster by any other name is still an ugly sportster.

Friends don't let friends buy inferior bikes.

Friends don't let friends buy inferior bikes.

Now, now,... one mans nightmare....is another man's dream....in all things....be it bikes, babes, or the easter bunny's eggs....so step back, take a breath & relax.....