Is it safe

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Cleland

Reaction score
Ok guys quick question.

I'm what you might call .... um... Fat. Me and my wife combined are right at 500lbs. Is it safe to ride two up with that kind of weight on the FJR?

Thanks

Joey

Ok guys quick question.
I'm what you might call .... um... Fat. Me and my wife combined are right at 500lbs. Is it safe to ride two up with that kind of weight on the FJR?

Thanks

Joey
I tip the scales fairly generously also, And have no problems AFTER upgrading the suspension.

I run a Penske shock with 1000 pound spring, And 1.3 Springs in my Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 forks.

Ok guys quick question.

Thanks

Joey
I tip the scales fairly generously also, And have no problems AFTER upgrading the suspension.

I run a Penske shock with 1000 pound spring, And 1.3 Springs in my Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 forks.
Where did you get your suspension upgrades and how much were they if you dont mind me asking?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm close to the same loading with mine. Set the shock on hard, keep a close eye on tire pressure and ride sanely and you won't have any trouble. I just upgraded to the Penske shock from GP and it makes all the difference in the world. Next tire change will be the Bspec tire or a CT. Its easier to mod the bike than it is to lose weight. When in my prime I was 420 the wife couldn't ride with me cause there was no room and no suspension. :rolleyes:

Ok guys quick question.

Thanks

Joey

Where did you get your suspension upgrades and how much were they if you dont mind me asking?
Traxxion Dynamics

Ask for Lee... He is SUPER helpful and set mine up perfectly, And is not far from you just north of Atlanta.

This stuff aint cheap... Know this. But it is worth every penny for us fat riders who like to ride with the skinny riders. ;)

Ok guys quick question.

Thanks

Joey

Traxxion Dynamics

Ask for Lee... He is SUPER helpful and set mine up perfectly, And is not far from you just north of Atlanta.

This stuff aint cheap... Know this. But it is worth every penny for us fat riders who like to ride with the skinny riders. ;)
Good stuff. I'll check them out.

Fly Low.

Joey

I've got Traxxion Dynamics' AK-20 and Penske rear shock on my Blackbird. I have GP Suspension's front fork kit and their rebuild of my Wilbers shock (upgraded from undersprung 540 lb spring to 800 lb spring) on my FJR. (I'm around 190 with 125 lb. pillion, plus weight of gear, plus 75+ lbs. packed on the bike on long trips two up.)

The point of my response is to say that you cannot go wrong with either Traxxion Dynamics or GP Suspension. Those are the only 2 I would recommend if you want it done right first time. Both will give you a properly sprung and set up Penske rear shock, which would be my choice of shocks considering performance and price. Both will dial your front suspension. GP will be substantially less expensive for the front fork set up, with no real difference in ride quality, since they have a VERY similar valving kit and approach, but don't give you a new cartridge body like the AK-20, because on the street, that's something you'll never notice. If you can, do a ride-in to have your suspension rebuild and set up done at the shop. Since you're in Alabama, Traxxion Dynamics would be much closer than GP in the Portland, Oregon area. Again -- CANNOT go wrong with either's products or service -- great people both places. You will not believe the difference these two companies will make to your ride experience -- good suspension, properly set up, should be the number one farkle on anyone's bike, IMO.

Buenos Dias Jose, Que paso? All of the guys above have given you great information. I plan to follow their recommendations soon on my 2003, I am way over due on making these modifications. But having said that, I weigh 260 lbs. and my gal Donna weighs 140, and we have never had an unsafe condition riding; even running a loaded Givi 52 liter top box!!!

Not much to add except +1 on AK20 and Penske. Lee was great at Traxxion. I rode there from Mass...and it was night and day difference on the way home.

We tip the scales at 500# together and rode the stock suspension for 3 years and the only problem was having to readjust the headlights. (Looked like search lights <_< ) This year we did the gp suspension front springs and the Penske with a Ford truck spring, I think. Now the bike with both of us only sags an inch, maybe inch and half. Really tightened things up. So ride away.

fjrfat.jpg

I'm 280, so I ain't pointin' fingers!

RadioHowie, thanks so much for my new desktop picture!!!
It's one of them gurly GenToo AEs......may wanna think twice! :p
Beggars can't be choosers; I now have an AE reserved for CFR 2011. I'll try anything once, even though I really do regret telling Bustanut joker that at CFR 2010! Que lastima, Dios Mio, Ai Caramba!!!

With some tools and average mechanical skills plus a manual it can be done at home. I used GP in Or. and they built the shock with the proper spring. It took about half an hour to do the rear on my 03 and I had previously installed Eibach front springs from them also. It's worth every penny.

Ok guys quick question.

Thanks

Joey
I think that the total load limit for the stock bike is 208 kg which is 458 pounds. That includes all riders plus all luggage and accessories.

Suspension mods will help the bike cope with the dynamic issues associated with ride control and comfort, but they will do nothing to make the frame any stronger.

You can probably get away with a 500 pound load for a while. There must be some safety factor. Nevertheless, you're formally above the bike's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. There are examples of frame failures for various bikes that have been overloaded over the years. Its not common, but it can happen.

The other thing that I guess I would wonder about is just the basic room on the seat for 500 pounds of asses. I'm a big guy too, and if I had a rider who brought our total up to 500 pounds, I'm not sure where they would fit on the seat.

The FJR has one of the higher total load ratings available. Why not buy a second one and let the pillion become a rider too?

OK, Can these mods be done at home. Riding from Wisconsin is not an option for me. 350# me 250# wifeThanks
Shock is a simple swap with basic hand tools, fork springs same deal. If you want the hi-zoot fork internals then it's easy to pull both forks off, crate them up and ship to the chosen suspension shop. Make sure the CC has room for the charges though... ;)

--G