Is it safe

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys quick question.
I'm what you might call .... um... Fat. Me and my wife combined are right at 500lbs. Is it safe to ride two up with that kind of weight on the FJR?

Thanks

Joey
My wife and I weigh in about 450'ish combined(w/o gear). We do a lot of 2-up riding on the FJR. This year, she upped the ante and decided to try a rally with me. In the rally we rode 1460mi in 36hrs (she actually bitched about me not getting her a bun burner, but I was trying to place respectably).

Our total trip was a little over 3000mi in 5 days. Point being, we ran fully loaded (no extra space anywhere) in both bags and the factory trunk. We also had a small tank bag with comm system and rally stuff, and a camelbak mule stuffed with water, snacks and rally stuff. Pic below. I don't take it easy running like this either.

Bringingithome-1.jpg

We have the stock suspension setup the best it can be. A suspension upgrade is on the horizon sometime when $$ allows. Right now I'm running the E-Spec Pirelli Angel ST's. I think the E-spec (or B for PR2's) is probably a good idea knowing I'll be asking alot of the tire and bike.

Also, another poster mentioned room/comfort. We have enough of both for our tastes. I am adding a Russell to increase her comfort here soon. For comparison sake, we've also owned a GL1800 and ST1100 as previous 2-up rides.

Sheesh. With just me, a pair of jeans, a bag of makeup and a bottle of Maker's Mark, my Feej prolly doesn't even know she has a rider :p

At my size, you don't even need to switch out the OEM mirrors. Which is why I think the FJR is a perfect bike for me :blink:

Sheesh. With just me, a pair of jeans, a bag of makeup and a bottle of Maker's Mark, my Feej prolly doesn't even know she has a rider :p
At my size, you don't even need to switch out the OEM mirrors. Which is why I think the FJR is a perfect bike for me :blink:
Pics or this post is worthless! :lol:

RadioHowie, thanks so much for my new desktop picture!!!
It's one of them gurly GenToo AEs......may wanna think twice! :p
Beggars can't be choosers; I now have an AE reserved for CFR 2011. I'll try anything once, even though I really do regret telling Bustanut joker that at CFR 2010! Que lastima, Dios Mio, Ai Caramba!!!
Who's AE are you riding Don?

Griff
Buenos Dias Griff: MEM, Moosehead and Canadian FJR steered me to Mike at Bikers Bed and Breakfast: https://bikersbedandbreakfast.ca/ Flight to Montreal for Seth and I, then VIA Rail in a sleeper car to Truro, four days at CFR 2011, then Mary Ellen suggested a tour of the Gaspe Peninsula, and then a Halifax flight to Albany, NY, then back to Phoenix, AZ.

https://www.viarail.ca/en/trains/atlantic-c...l-halifax-oceann

Last edited by a moderator:
I may have missed if this was mentioned, but I would be worried about tire weight ratings if I was pushing over max carrying rate. It would be a big concern if I was in this situation. Someone would need to learn to drive a bike I think.

It's just is not worth the risk to me but I am a bit gun shy since my 65 mph get off 4 weeks ago.

I cant speak for you or your love for riding, but I would consider long and hard jeopardizing another life, and my own, to ride. Although in a sense we do that every time we swing our leg over our bikes even at a safe payload weight. I know gloom and doom, but life is VERY precious and at speed things happen pretty quickly, why risk it? Get another bike for her, or get another bike that will haul you both safely.

At the very least upgrade suspension, springs at least shock and forks, and see if anyone makes a reinforced tire for the FJR, or a higher load rating than is what is called for.

Just some thoughts and I hope you get it sorted out.

At the very least upgrade suspension, springs at least shock and forks, and see if anyone makes a reinforced tire for the FJR, or a higher load rating than is what is called for.
:dribble: :dribble: Can I get a rider on your life insurance?

The problem with this premise is the assumption that suspension bits and tires are the only thing being overstressed by loading too much weight on the bike. Like how much weight can the rear subframe take before it drops the pillion and luggage down on the rear tire at speed, or the welds at the steering head to frame spar junctions decide to cash in and head back to the hotel?

The GIANT question is did Yamaha calculate the GVWR based on suspension and tire limits, or on the entire tire/suspension/frame combination.

Personally, I'd stick with the maximums suggested by the boys that built the beast with maybe, possibly, insanely a 10% "overage" to allow for legally-inspired conservative recommendations .

I think you guys are on the right track. Me an engineer, and I never thought about design ratings on the frame. . . duh Best plan, use this thread to help her decide to buy her bike. I have never liked riding with a passenger, feels like I am sitting on the tank. Best part is I would get another toy to play with if she is not riding. . .

Thanks