Is it weird, or uncommon for my age to want one?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirfonners

Reaction score
Alright, so I am 17 years old, I turn 18 in may. I have been riding for about 3-4 months now have about 6 thousand miles on my current 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R. I love riding, and I am so glad i got into it. Recently i have been riding too my mom's in sacramento from my dad's in san jose. It takes me about 3 and a half hours taking back roads(i take) or 2 hours from the freeway(dont take)

while riding I have seen many touring bikes and cruisers, and I have jsut been thinking about how much more comfortable they look, and how much more fun they are having traveling (packed backpack gets painful after a while)

I first got really interested when I saw the Kawasaki Concours14, but then fell in love when I looked at the FJR1300A, It is such a sexy bike. I reeaaaallly would like to get one. I am out of high school working full time planning on going to college this fall or early next year. But I would love to go travel a bit on one of these babies.

In your opinions, do you think somebody my age would like a bike like this. My riding buddy told me i was a traitor for considering one :| (he has the same bike as me but in red)

tell me everythiiiingggggg

:yahoo:

how fun

how long you can ride

mpg

girls checkin it out

sorry I wrote a novel btw

Last edited by a moderator:
....only if you don't think the FJR needs turn signal reminders. If you do....well....by the time you're 22 you'll want to skip the FJR and get a Wing.

Just be prepared to be teased by your Gixxer 750 friends at social gatherings.....but be able to blow by them when you go ride.

....only if you don't think the FJR needs turn signal reminders. If you do....well....by the time you're 22 you'll want to skip the FJR and get a Wing.
Just be prepared to be teased by your Gixxer 750 friends at social gatherings.....but be able to blow by them when you go ride.

oooh I wont worry about those guys, if i get one, ill be too busy passing them and going onto my next big cruise to hear them :p

oooh I wont worry about those guys, if i get one, ill be too busy passing them and going onto my next big cruise to hear them :p
Especially when they have to stop every 1/2-1 hour to stretch and you just.....RIDE ON! :yahoo:

Welcome. Normally, I'd be ragging all over you like odot drooling over a Liza Mineli album, but because you're young I'll go easy... Stay with the Ninja for another year or two. Really. This bike (FJR) is way over what a relatively new rider can or should handle. I'll give you major props for manning up and being straightforward about your age and experience, though. Stick around and learn about the bike and all it has to offer before you go out and regret your decision to upgrade.

:good:

Alright, so I am 17 years old, I turn 18 in may. I have been riding for about 3-4 months now have about 6 thousand miles on my current 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R. I love riding, and I am so glad i got into it. Recently i have been riding too my mom's in sacramento from my dad's in san jose. It takes me about 3 and a half hours taking back roads(i take) or 2 hours from the freeway(dont take)
while riding I have seen many touring bikes and cruisers, and I have jsut been thinking about how much more comfortable they look, and how much more fun they are having traveling (packed backpack gets painful after a while)

I first got really interested when I saw the Kawasaki Concours14, but then fell in love when I looked at the FJR1300A, It is such a sexy bike. I reeaaaallly would like to get one. I am just out of high school working full time planning on going to college this fall or early next year. But I would love to go travel a bit on one of these babies.

In your opinions, do you think somebody my age would like a bike like this. My riding buddy told me i was a traitor for considering one :| (he has the same bike as me but in red)

tell me everythiiiingggggg

:yahoo:

how fun

how long you can ride

mpg

girls checkin it out

sorry I wrote a novel btw
How fun: Not as much fun on short fast trips as my R1, but way more fun on long regular trips. Not as light and flickable as my ZR7, but way more comfy.

As far as chicks looking..... Lotsa MILF looks, but I've never seen a MILF's daughter look. But that's OK, 'cause if the MILF likes the bike, the daughter will be allowed to ride with you.

MPG: I get about 50mpg when I set my cruise control at something near the speed limit.

How long can I ride?: Sun up to sun down, and then a little farther if I feel like I wanna.

Advantages of an FJR over a 650 Ninja: The FJR pulls bitchen wheelies. The FJR can pack a lunch. The FJR makes cops think you're an old guy so they treat you better. An FJR can completely own a sportbike if the rider knows what he's doing.

Welcome. Normally, I'd be ragging all over you like odot drooling over a Liza Mineli album, but because you're young I'll go easy... Stay with the Ninja for another year or two. Really. This bike (FJR) is way over what a relatively new rider can or should handle. I'll give you major props for manning up and being straightforward about your age and experience, though. Stick around and learn about the bike and all it has to offer before you go out and regret your decision to upgrade.

you're right :(

i should just go with my second choice

a hayabusa :p

Well i dont plan on getting one riiiight now

if i did get one, probably in a few months or so

I want to save up a little cash so when i do

I can make a sizable down payment and get some good gear

i know you said another year but, thats like trying to tell

a newly wed catholic couple

they should wait a year before they..uhum..make it official :D :p

How fun: Not as much fun on short fast trips as my R1, but way more fun on long regular trips. Not as light and flickable as my ZR7, but way more comfy.
As far as chicks looking..... Lotsa MILF looks, but I've never seen a MILF's daughter look. But that's OK, 'cause if the MILF likes the bike, the daughter will be allowed to ride with you.

MPG: I get about 50mpg when I set my cruise control at something near the speed limit.

How long can I ride?: Sun up to sun down, and then a little farther if I feel like I wanna.

Advantages of an FJR over a 650 Ninja: The FJR pulls bitchen wheelies. The FJR can pack a lunch. The FJR makes cops think you're an old guy so they treat you better. An FJR can completely own a sport bike if the rider knows what he's doing.
too be honest with you, im already out of the I want to go as faster then light phase

I really just like to ride for hours, I don't do wheelies, i do enjoy a good set of twisties though.

I am a 40 year old rider in a 17 year old body :rolleyes:

I am not really worried about getting the same old looks, a milf will work :p

but hey if the younger girls dont thing the FJR is sexy as hell

well then i dont really want that girl to flirt with me :angry2:

....Just be prepared to be teased by your Gixxer 750 friends at social gatherings.....

Just wait for one of them to challenge you to a race, tell him sure but since you challenged me I'll pick the course! Then tell him you want to race to XX (any point about 2,000 miles away) and back! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I would also consider your size and weight. Being as young as you are the lack of experience might be compensated by added weight and longer legs...moreso at parking lot speeds than freeway speeds...of course.

I'm 5'8" and 150 (soaking wet) but I also have 20+ years experience riding. Is the bike big for me...my weight says "maybe" but I've learned to compensate and be more cautious. That experience has helped me tremendously when stopping on roads that are, lets just say, less than perfect. My 32" inseem is the perfect length for my '05 FJR. I sit very comfortably with heels on the ground, and I'm still able to bend my knees.

To be honest, I'm impressed by your maturity in how you present yourself. That says a lot of a person. I'm inclined to say the FJR would be a perfect fit.

As a warning, the FJR is fast, does not handle as quickly in the twisties and will not stop as quickly as your 650R.

Best wishes on your decesion; and let us know when you join the ranks of FJRhood.

No one has answered the question you posed in the title of the thread, so I will. Yes, it is weird and uncommon that you have the maturity and good taste that you seem to have at the age of 17. Its a lot of bike, but hell I learned on a '98 V-Max as my first bike. The bike will only do what you tell it to do.

Dude, you remind me of me around that age. I started off with an old 700cc Magna that I used to ride from Camp Lejeune, NC to P''cola, FL every other weekend. It didn't take long to realize that I wanted something bigger (either a Connie or an FJ). I certainly felt like I could handle it... and probably could have because I wasn't out racing everything that pulled alongside. You posted some of the same justifications I had and you sound reasonable and mature about it. So, I would say if those are long-lasting thoughts (i.e. more than a week or two), the bike meets your long-term goals, and is affordable, then go for it.

Should you decide to take the plunge, we'll designate you the official "chick magnet" tester for the younger crowd. I know it works with MILFs. I bet you'll get the same action you got with the other bike, especially if you drop the panniers.

Been there, Done that.

I was 24 when I got my FJR, and I was the ridiculously young one at the time. I speak from experience when I say that moving from a small displacement bike to the FJR is an "adjustment" to say the least. The FJR is a big heavy lanky beast! I'm a pretty large fellow, so I was able to handle it with brute force a couple of times until I learned how to handle it properly.

Things to expect:

Insurance will eat you a new one. Progressive originally quoted me something like $3k/year, and that was at 7 years older than you!

The FJR is more expensive than your typical sportbike, and so are parts.

The FJR doesn't catch the eye of young females like a pure sportbike will. BUT, once you get them on the back seat they will prefer it to any of the sportbikes. That's a 100% guaranteed fact. Most (young) passengers won't be able to perceive the difference in performance, but they'll definitly notice the increased comfort!

Having said all that, my advice would be to wait a few more years. Move to something in the middle like a VFR. I *know* that I couldn't have handled the FJR any earlier, and I barely managed the first season, with a few close calls. Now we're best buds, though.

Been there, Done that.

I was 24 when I got my FJR, and I was the ridiculously young one at the time. I speak from experience when I say that moving from a small displacement bike to the FJR is an "adjustment" to say the least. The FJR is a big heavy lanky beast! I'm a pretty large fellow, so I was able to handle it with brute force a couple of times until I learned how to handle it properly.

Things to expect:

Insurance will eat you a new one. Progressive originally quoted me something like $3k/year, and that was at 7 years older than you!

The FJR is more expensive than your typical sportbike, and so are parts.

The FJR doesn't catch the eye of young females like a pure sportbike will. BUT, once you get them on the back seat they will prefer it to any of the sportbikes. That's a 100% guaranteed fact. Most (young) passengers won't be able to perceive the difference in performance, but they'll definitly notice the increased comfort!

All of your sportbike-riding-buddies will raz you for having the "old man" bike. BUT, they'll never lose you by much if any, and for some reason they will always be asking if you can carry their shit around in your bags when you go riding.

Having said all that, my advice would be to wait a few more years. Move to something in the middle like a VFR. I *know* that I couldn't have handled the FJR any earlier, and I barely managed the first season, with a few close calls. Now we're best buds, though.

sirfonners...

Glad to hear the college thing, it's the one investment that keeps on giving.

17 to 70, the FJR is a great ride. But beware of the power and torque - it can be a monster if overconfidence sets in. So ride safe.

Fact is, one of my riding buddies IS 70. He also has a beemer and KLR650. I'm 59 and have been riding about 30 years or better.

You'll love this bike - I got my 07 just this past Saturday.

Good luck to you.

i agree. like i said on the other board, the first 2 years of riding are very high risk as you not only are learning about bikes but also about how to survive in traffic that wants to kill you. with a lighter bike you can get away with some mistakes without as big big a risk of getting dead really quickly.

A lot of good points have already been made.

The comfort factor compared to your current bike will be like night and day. The FJR will haul ass, and handles very well, but by no means is flickable. I'm not too sure on insurance, you should call a few places, and obtain a quote. That will get you the best info as to weather your premium will go up or stay the same... it may even go down???

The biggest factor to me would be size and weight. I am 5'7 (with boots) and about 160 pounds. This bike is HEAVY. I can't even come close to flat footing it due to my 30" inseem, but once used to it, I now have no problems wheeling it around at low speed. With a smaller bike like yours, if you ever come close to dropping it, it is easy to stand up. When the FJR starts to go over, your virtually phucked. Even large guys have pulled muscles and torn ligaments trying to stop these things from going over.

All and all, the money factor is huge too. No offense, but I don't know too many guys at your age that make enough to afford a $12,000 dollar ANYTHING!

You could always go used, I love my 04.

sirfonners, I'd say go for it and enjoy. Your maturity says a lot for you! You like Loooong rides, and in college, you'll have lots of stuff to haul with you day in day out that you'll want to keep locked up safely. Take me for example. My job is thirty miles away over some pretty twisty mountain roads, but I always have to carry a bunch of work related stuff back and forth everyday, not to mention the usual rain gear etc. No other bike but the Feej would work. It pulls like a tractor, handles like it's on rails, and I'll NEVER be able to tell you what it's top speed is. I think it's the best, most practical choice for a couple of guys like us. I run a marina, and yes, we get plenty of stares from the bikinis around here and I'm pretty sure they're not staring at me.