Is Lojack worth it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braenen

Reaction score
Should I get my new bike Lojacked? Does anyone have it installed? Do insurance companies offer discounts for it?

I realize that the incidence rates of bike theft vary by location but, in general, is it a worthwhile way to spend my money?

While the salesman tried hard to sell me on Lojack, I didn't buy it. My reasoning is that a bike like the FJR is not as popular as the common SS bikes (R1/6, GSXR, etc.) and isn't as likely to get stolen for several reasons. It's heavy and as a result harder to wrestle into a van. It isn't attractive to squids, so there isn't a rabid market for rash free parts. And lastly, If you are going to go to the effort to rip of someone's heavy sport touring rig then why not take a BMW? You'd get more for the parts on Ebay :rolleyes:

Should I get my new bike Lojacked? Does anyone have it installed? Do insurance companies offer discounts for it?
I realize that the incidence rates of bike theft vary by location but, in general, is it a worthwhile way to spend my money?
Years ago I got Lojack for a car. Got the insurance discount which I figured would mostly pay for the Lojack over the life of the car. Then I got the notice in the mail about the "required annual inspection and battery replacement" for something like $150/year in 1990ish dollars. Of course this service could only be done by a authorized Lojack dealer because the location of the Lojack is Top Secret, not even the owner of the cars knows where it was hidden. So I never bothered with the Lojack inspection and learned my lesson.

I'm not sure if these inspections pertain to motorcycles or is even required on car installations these days, but I don't think I'd want one on my bike even if they were giving them away.

JMHO,

John

Mine came with it already installed, the dealership was new to Lojack and used four bikes for installation training and mine was one of them. I did receive a discount on the insurance, not sure of the percentage. I hope to never be able to tell you if it's worth it.

Years ago I got Lojack for a car. Got the insurance discount which I figured would mostly pay for the Lojack over the life of the car. Then I got the notice in the mail about the "required annual inspection and battery replacement" for something like $150/year in 1990ish dollars. Of course this service could only be done by a authorized Lojack dealer because the location of the Lojack is Top Secret, not even the owner of the cars knows where it was hidden. So I never bothered with the Lojack inspection and learned my lesson.
I'm not sure if these inspections pertain to motorcycles or is even required on car installations these days, but I don't think I'd want one on my bike even if they were giving them away.

JMHO,

John
I've never received any notifications like this. Must have been on the early models?

I like anything that could help find who stole your bike. It's the speed of the response that matters. If they find that box before the police find them, they win.

I worry more about coming out to find my bike on it's side. :cry:

Why not consider the Spot? Lots cheaper, plus lots more options. If you hide it under the seat or in the side bags when locked, you can use the locator function to track and find the bike. Plus, you have basically onstar for your bike, plus all the other cool functions to update your family on where you are.

Spot

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not consider the Spot? If you hide it under the seat or in the side bags when locked, you can use the locator function to track and find the bike. Plus, you have basically onstar for your bike, plus all the other cool functions to update your family on where you are.
Clicky to spot
It will only broadcast it's position for 24 hours after you press a button. After that it resets. At best you press it, your bike is stolen 1 hour later, and you then have 23 hours to retrieve it.

..and no...you can't change the programming of the unit.

Plus reception would be iffy at best with the increased material between the unit and view of the sky.

Last edited by a moderator:
If somebody really wants my FJR, they can have it. It's replaceable. Not priceless. That's what I have insurance for. Then I get to buy a new one.

What if the shitbags trash your bike while they are out having fun with it? Or while the cops are chasing them? Or when the wrecker tows it? Do you really want it back?

Waste of $$$ IMHO. At least for this type of vehicle.

If somebody really wants my FJR, they can have it. It's replaceable. Not priceless. That's what I have insurance for. Then I get to buy a new one.
What if the shitbags trash your bike while they are out having fun with it? Or while the cops are chasing them? Or when the wrecker tows it? Do you really want it back?

No argument here, on all points.

No argument here, on all points.
+3

One thing that always occurs to me, like in the case of cars where the auto owner is not told the secret location of the LoJack unit, maybe that's because there is no LoJack unit? You wouldn't know until after the car gets boosted (if it ever does) and even then they'd just say they activated the fictional unit and the po-po weren't able to locate your car...

I had a Lojack tracker in my patrol car for 1 1/2 years. In my opinion Lojack is outdated technology. The way it works is, when its activated, it emits a radio signal. IF(big if), there is a patrol car WITH A TRACKER with-in about 10-15 miles, an alert will go off in the car and give the officer a code. The officer calls the code in to the dispatcher to find out if it is a valid activation(usually not). If it is valid you start to track the signal. The signal is recieved by a directional antenna array on top of the patrol car, and the officer recieves a direction that the signal is coming from and a signal strength. The officer has to make his way towards the signal via availiable roads(there is no GPS coordinate). As you get closer, the signal increases, thats the only way you know you're headed in the right direction. During training it took 5 officers an average of 45 minutes to find the transponder. Is there anything better out there? For cars Onstar works GREAT. They can give you a street adress where the vehicle is and tell you if its moving. But, for bikes I haven't kept up with state of the art.

It will only broadcast it's position for 24 hours after you press a button. After that it resets. At best you press it, your bike is stolen 1 hour later, and you then have 23 hours to retrieve it.
As long as this guy's on the case, you'll get your bike back.

43ddcb7a.jpg

:clapping: :blink:

As long as this guy's on the case, you'll get your bike back.

43ddcb7a.jpg

:clapping: :blink:

That's tooooo funny. :haha: :haha:

Im 100% with Skooter on this one. They can have the dam thing, I wouldn't want it back. Insurance is a wonderful thing and I like the idea of changeiing colors now and then!

Check out this alternative - Guidepoint -

https://www.guidepointsystems.com/motorcycles/

- this is the system my dealer was selling. They promote themselves as having more features than Lojack, including alerting you if the bike is moved without the key being in, and creating a security fence. Some of the features are only available on the upgrade packages - more $$$ of course. With both systems you have to be careful about the battery discharging when the bike is not ridden for some period - unspecified by the dealer, but they do provide a handy connector and battery tender for simple plug in if you are holed up for a while. The battery tender and connector were included in the installation cost for me.

Also, check with your insurance as mine did not give a discount for Guidepoint or Lojack on a motorcycle.

I didn't have the option for Lojack but did buy Guidepoint.

+1 to what Skooter said.

I've had (2), yes two vehicles stolen in my lifetime, so I'm probably already over my allowance.

Neither were anything special.

1986 Honda Wagon, was taken for a joy ride, then attempted to be dumped in a river but it got hung up on the river bed. They actually did more damage recovering the vehicle than the thief did.

The car was eventually totaled (again credit to the towing company). All contents recovered, including my golf clubs, and my Valentine one. They even left the tools they used to steal the car in the car (dumb asses).

I had a 1989 Nissan Pickup jacked too. It was never recovered. It probably made it into the river. It was allegedly used in some home burglaries that evening, according to some witnesses of said burglaries.

In either case I didn't want either of them back (though I do miss that truck). Insurance was more than fair in both cases.

I suspect my bike would be trashed if stolen and I probably wouldn't want it back either. The farkles on the other hand...

+1 to what Skooter said.
I've had (2), yes two vehicles stolen in my lifetime, so I'm probably already over my allowance.

Neither were anything special.

1986 Honda Wagon, was taken for a joy ride, then attempted to be dumped in a river but it got hung up on the river bed. They actually did more damage recovering the vehicle than the thief did.

The car was eventually totaled (again credit to the towing company). All contents recovered, including my golf clubs, and my Valentine one. They even left the tools they used to steal the car in the car (dumb asses).

I had a 1989 Nissan Pickup jacked too. It was never recovered. It probably made it into the river. It was allegedly used in some home burglaries that evening, according to some witnesses of said burglaries.

In either case I didn't want either of them back (though I do miss that truck). Insurance was more than fair in both cases.

I suspect my bike would be trashed if stolen and I probably wouldn't want it back either. The farkles on the other hand...
+1 on the farkles. They can have the bike which will, in turn, get me a new one but, can they remove the farkles and leave them behind please. It might be a little suspicious to the police though. :ph34r: