Is the clutchless model available for 2013

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pso

Reaction score
Due to an injury and now arthritus in the left thumb joint I am considering a bike without needing to use a clutch. I was intersted in an FJR several years ago and other than the spider connector and heat issues I was going to move up to one from my Buell Uly. Instead I went with a Strom, but now need something that does not require the use of a clutch lever. Wife is selling her Wee strom so as a result of our combined weight I will need more power than the new Honda affords. I have looked over the net and cannot find any info as to if the 2013 FJR offers the button/paddle shift of the early FJR's. I also read that there was a recall to fix the connector and I also understand that the heat issue has been corrected?

Check here PSO.

https://www.cycletrader.com/?cmp=Google&gclid=CNHpwc2y6rECFaZaMgodsVgAOA

There should be one available in your neck of the woods for a good price. The best bargain in the motorcycle market and after 5 years of owning two I'd say one of the best bikes also. I bought my 07 in 08 for $10,999 and my 08 in 10 for $9,999 as hold overs to give you an idea of what can be available for price. I just traded off my 08 for a Tenere but I will sure miss that awesome transmission. Too bad I let all these tools around here tempt me into a 2013. I'm going to miss the perfect downshifts every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another option you might want to look at is the Honda VFR1200F DC. For 2012 (or '13) it's been revised with a second gen double clutch tranny. There is no manual clutch, you can shift like on the FJR AE, or you can put it in full auto mode and not shift at all. It's 2 weak points is its limited fuel range and sporty ergos.. Honda has enlarged the fuel tank just slightly now and maybe the aftermarket has ergo solutions for a less sporty perch. What is Honda waitiing for to release a replacement ST13 based on the VFR motor now used in the Honda CrossTourer adventure touring bike and VFR1200F, no one knows...

In my opinion the clutchless model doesn't sell very well in North America, I would be very surprised to see it around here. Anyway we will see soon enough...

On the contrary, though Yamaha didn't sell a lot of them here, there is a market for them indeed... just not a big one compared to the regular model. For a guy that NEEDS a clutch-leverless bike, this is the one. They're great machines.

Gary

darksider #44

It may not have enough power or capacity for your 2-up work, but the wife tested an Aprilia Mana 850 GT recently and I took a spin on it for shiggles. Very nice bike. Auto tranny, very nice ABS, had some nice hard luggage on it. Smooth for a twin and seemed plenty fun to me. There are several around here for sale in the $5-7k range. You can even "shift" it electronically. It simulates a 7 speed tranny. Nifty.

When I was in the market I found the dealers with leftover models not willing to budge on price. A couple actually told me they went up in value as collector models. Rediculous...

I picked up a previously loved '06 for less than $6k with 24k miles on the clock. I think my deal was fair enough and it sounds like these last a while anyway.

It may not have enough power or capacity for your 2-up work, but the wife tested an Aprilia Mana 850 GT recently and I took a spin on it for shiggles. Very nice bike. Auto tranny, very nice ABS, had some nice hard luggage on it. Smooth for a twin and seemed plenty fun to me. There are several around here for sale in the $5-7k range. You can even "shift" it electronically. It simulates a 7 speed tranny. Nifty.
Yeah, I'm guessin' at just a 100 pounds shy of the FJR's weight, but with only 75 horsepressures on tap, it "may not have enough power...for your 2-up work"

.....or 1-up work, compared to the FJR! :eek:

Engaging jerk-face mode:

There are no clutch-less FJRs. Anywhere. They all have clutches.

Some are just operated automatically, most are operated normally. :D

Disengaging jerk-face mode:

But the auto-clutch is not available here, but only in Europe. My suggestion for your situation was going to be the VFR, as mentioned before.

Something's wrong, by the way.... it feels like jerk-face mode is still on, I can't shut it off. Gotta go find a thread with Bust or Odot in it.

STFU-Why was it crap? As I posted earlier, my left hand injury and arthritis in the thumb joint is a major problem using a clutch lever. This problem has curtailed my long distance riding after 54 years, but I am not yet ready to hang up the proverbial spurs.

WHOOFSHE-What is the proper designation for this iteration of the FJR? Is it the AE Model? I just don't want to trigger more jerk faces.

Looking for left over and/or pre-owned what model year fixed the heat problem? Is this the difference between a Gen I and a Gen II? Also any other things that should go into my consdieration for an earlier model?

I am getting on in years and do not mend as fast so I am most interested in a bike set more for touring with a sporting component, than sport plus wife is giving up her bike so she will passenger with me so those are my major considerations. (That is why I am looking at this model, but thanks for the other bike suggestions).

I also am pretty much finished with wrenching on bikes so modifying bikes is no longer an interest of mine.

Thanks for all the input so far

Yes, it would be the AE. Those that have them love them, with very few exceptions. They just didn't sell well, dealers had to unload them cheap. Good for those that wanted them, bad for Yamaha dealers, and bad for those that still want them. Nothing wrong with a used one, most likely, as long as the recalls have been done. Even if they haven't, the recalls are not limited to original owners, so you could get them done if they haven't been.

And we jerk-faces don't need triggering. It's spontaneous. Nothing to do for it but duck and cover. :D

As for the "heat problem," any Gen-II bike has the fairing and tank changes that addressed that, and all AEs are Gen-II.

Yes, it would be the AE. Those that have them love them, with very few exceptions. They just didn't sell well, dealers had to unload them cheap. Good for those that wanted them, bad for Yamaha dealers, and bad for those that still want them. Nothing wrong with a used one, most likely, as long as the recalls have been done. Even if they haven't, the recalls are not limited to original owners, so you could get them done if they haven't been.
And we jerk-faces don't need triggering. It's spontaneous. Nothing to do for it but duck and cover.
biggrin.png

As for the "heat problem," any Gen-II bike has the fairing and tank changes that addressed that, and all AEs are Gen-II.
+1 What he said. I love my AE.
coolsmiley02.gif
Also due to problems with my left hand a clutch lever is not a safe option so the AE got me back in the saddle after a long hiatus.
smilingsmiley.gif
Would you opt not to drive a Formula 1 Racer because of the paddle shifter??
blink.png

If looking for a used, or a still new one, try to get an 09. They made some small changes (can't remember what they were) for the 09 model.

sickchilly,
Did you and the wifey end up purchasing the Mana GT? I own one and love it!!! I think the Mana may be a viable option for the OP and it does have lots of power especially when you switch to "Sport" mode.

spartan