Is the FJR right for me?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHam

Reaction score
Hi! I have been riding for a year and a half now. I have a 2007 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom I need to sell. Please no HD bashing- I do that enough on my own. I know someone who works at the local shop and I got a really really good deal. I do think it was a good first bike. Since then I've learned much more about all bikes. I have gained a friend who rides a gsxr1000 and a girlfriend. I like to ride his bike more than I like to ride mine. I am starting to accumulate winter gear, not that it gets too cold in South Carolina. I want something I can use as a primary vehicle, COMFORTABLY put the girl on the back (she likes it :D ), and still be able to go fast when I want to. I guess the big problem is I can only afford one bike. I keep reading about how good at long distance touring these bikes are, but the majority of my riding is in town/city and the 45 minute highway run to work and school. How are these bikes at city driving? Is an FJR a good fit for my needs or should I look elsewhere? The closest dealer that has one is a couple hour drive. With christmas on everyone's mind for a little while I don't know when I'll be able to get down there.

Get it! You wont be sorry. Its a great bike for just about everything. My first bike was a Honda Magna VF750. I still have it and like it but may sell it as I never ride it anymore! The FJR simply blows it away in EVERY respect. I ride mine to work pretty often on the short city street 5 mile commute I have each way (lucky me!). I am fine putting around town on it, taking the bags off and hitting canyons, keeping bags and top case with wife on back. I have only had the bike a few months and fall more and more in love with it all the time...clearly it excels at long dist touring, but it really does everything very well.

Boy thats a tough question :rolleyes: As i just came off a big cruiser (yamaha Roadstar) & have to adjust to the totaly different sitting possision (and speed of course) If you like the feel of the Gixxer & power , you will love the FJR + luggage . It has more power than i need & handles great & with trunk you can pack for a week & go. I`m sure you will ask the Concours guy`s & the st1300 guys & all will pretty much say the same thing that we say (how much they love there bike) it`s more of a brand preferance (mine happens to be Yamaha) than who is better. Now are you tall -short , fat - skinny (age or sex don`t matter) As with all sport tourers they are a little top heavy so you have to keep on your toes all the time (no matter what brand) So what i`m saying is it`s all up to you , as your the one going to have to plunk down a big hunk of change.

Don't do it.

1.) You'll turn into an FJR fanatic.

2.) You'll be an FJR evangelist boring all of your friends with tales and pictures of your weekend trips.

3.) Your girlfriend will enjoy the comfortable pillion seat.

4.) Your girlfriend will meet other passengers and decide she likes your "new" circle of friends.

5.) You'll never be able to ride alone (except to work) because she'll want to go along.

6.) Wait until she finds how much stuff she can take on your (new-to-you) weekend get-aways.

7.) You will discover that buying farkles is an incurable disease and it will destroy your low credit card balance.

8.) You might discover how much fun the FJR is to commute with just a top case. THEN what will you do???? :unsure:

;)

Love my feej but......if your not touring there are quite a few alternatives that are much lighter and cheaper. If you think touring may be in your future then get the FJR.

Hi! I have been riding for a year and a half now. I have a 2007 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom I need to sell. Please no HD bashing- I do that enough on my own. I know someone who works at the local shop and I got a really really good deal. I do think it was a good first bike. Since then I've learned much more about all bikes. I have gained a friend who rides a gsxr1000 and a girlfriend. I like to ride his bike more than I like to ride mine. I am starting to accumulate winter gear, not that it gets too cold in South Carolina. I want something I can use as a primary vehicle, COMFORTABLY put the girl on the back (she likes it :D ), and still be able to go fast when I want to. I guess the big problem is I can only afford one bike. I keep reading about how good at long distance touring these bikes are, but the majority of my riding is in town/city and the 45 minute highway run to work and school. How are these bikes at city driving? Is an FJR a good fit for my needs or should I look elsewhere? The closest dealer that has one is a couple hour drive. With christmas on everyone's mind for a little while I don't know when I'll be able to get down there.
You won't go wrong with the FJR. I have only had mine for 2 months and love more everytime I get on it. It has it al Power, Handling, and COMFORT!!! Don' t wait too long.

JHam,

Read between MM2s lines - you can get an FJR now and become assimilated, or you can simply postpone the inevitable and buy some other bike while wondering the whole time if the FJR just might be better than what you bought. You've got the experience to handle this bike. I don't know what city in SC you call home, but if I can handle Atlanta traffic on mine then you can most assuredly do the same in your town. GET ONE! :evil: :evil:

VP

.......I have gained a friend who rides a gsxr1000 and a girlfriend......
Where's Bustanut when ya need him?????

I've got a little over 62k miles on my '06 FJR after 32 months. Ride it every day to and from work. Many trips through Los Angeles traffic, many canyon rides and severl 1k mile Iron Butt rides. It is a GREAT bike.

I went to the recent bike show in Long Beach and viewed all of the models offered by every bike sold in the US. The only bike that I would trade straight up for would be the '09 FJR, and that's only because it would not have the 62k miles that I have on my bike.

That's right. Not for any style of Ducati, HD, Honda, Suzuki, trike, scooter, nothing.

Yes, it's a compromise bike, as it is the best combination of sport, touring, etc..

After being away from bike riding for several years,,,, I got back on a Suzuki Intruder and thought WOW ,, I could ride this at 55 mph and have fun... Then after about 20K miles on the Intruder I thought ,,, WOW ,,,I need a bike to hunt for curves on ,,,,

etc ,,, etc,,,, etc,,,

I enjoyed all my other bike ,,, and I don't know if I would have appreciated the FJR with out having all the other bikes,,,

But the FJR is the best bike so far,,,,,

Old & slow DAN <<<<< :yahoo: :yahoo:

Love the Feeger! Will probably retire on it (another 20yrs). Almost bought a 2002 GSXR1000 but went with a 2002 Triumph Sprint ST. In 2007 I sold the ST and bought the FJR and have been quite pleased. My riding style is geared more to longer sport touring with the occasional scratching of the back 40.

First impressions will be that the FJR is a beast when standing still, and steering is considerably heavier than the GSXR too.

Being heavier you'll need to be cautious diving into turns as it's weight will not slow as quickly. Lean angles are considerably less and dragging pegs is easier. Acceleration is AWESOME! maybe not GSXR1000 awesome, but for moving 600lbs it's quite effortless. I've played with several FZ1000 and we're pretty even.

In town riding, the FJR is heavy, and one must be aware of its extra weight. In all, probably one of the best all-round sport touring bikes.

Just my $0.02 worth

Sport

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been riding street bikes for about the same time as you. After completing the MSF course I bought a Suzuki M50. Great bike, lot of fun, loved it. I sold it this fall and bought the FJR after some co-workers turned me on to super sport touring. I don't regret it one bit. The FJR has been a blast. I love the seating position, not too sporty, not too cruiser, just right. You can't help but love the power and the handling - WOW! Compared to my M50, the FJR sounds like a jet engine. Compared to my M50, the FJR handles like a Ferrari. PLus, love the storage. I was always torn between bags on, bags off on the cruiser. Now, it's bags on all the time. But in case I do want to take them off, they are not a major PITA.

Dude, You cant go wrong with the FJR. Don't Delay any longer. Report directly to the closest best deal - You won't regret it. :clapping:

In town riding, the FJR is heavy, and one must be aware of its extra weight. In all, probably one of the best all-round sport touring bikes.
Just my $0.02 worth

Sport

I agree with Sport - top heavy in parking lot manuvering and if you are traveling, say 10 miles at no faster than 10mph - the fjr isn't the best suited in that kind of traffic. Otherwise this bike has tons of power, an awesome linear power curve and handles great in corners. It also holds tons of stuff for a motorcycle and just rocks!!

:clapping: Like I say all the time hear I am one of the lucky ones. I first sat on a FJR in England in the January of 2002 when I was living in Turkey. I had started to make arraingements to get it shipped to my home in Turkey when Yamaha decided to let us buy them in the states with bags included. I sold my Triumph Trophy 1200 and called my dealer from Turino Italy and bought the bike. I was home in Aug. when it showed up at the dealership (Libby's) in New Haven. They called me and I was schedule to go back to my overseas home in 2 days. I made arraingements to stay here for 2 weeks and told them to put it together and do not clean it. I will do that. I picked it up the next day paid in cash. Living overseas is great. In 10 days I did 2400 miles and 2 oil changes. Put it up and did not see it again until end of October when I moved back from Turkey. That was 6 years ago and 60K miles. Need I say more. Buy it and enjoy it. I would not trade my Silver Babe for any other bike, except maybe a GEN3 Silver Babe. If you buy it they will come, and you can meet us next year at the EOM in West Virginia, or were ever we have it. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Sounds like you need a sport bike or FZ1. The FJR is FAST but heavy, little too much bike in the city. Try the link in the following forum topic, fun little link. I found out that I'm a 51 year-old squid that should be riding a 600-sport bike. :rolleyes:

Motorcycle Personality Test.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=109934

Pay close attention to what Sport said above. I had always ridden big cruisers. Still own a RoadStar. The center of gravity is completely different on the FJR. Go ahead and order the frame sliders now, so that they arrive with your new bike. It will reduce the trauma of that first drop!

I started off with a Vespa GTV 250. I've been riding that for over a year now and still love it. I purchased the 2007 FJR 4 months ago and I just went through the MSF class. I am still new with motorcycles, but have enjoyed every minute of it. I don't do anything crazy and have great respect for the power the FJR delivers. If you do that you'll have a blast!

Matt

If you want something with luggage that will be good for commuting and the occasional weekend jaunt, I would seriously suggest looking at a Triumph Sprint 1050. They are fast as Hell and a lot of fun. Since you only have 1.5 years riding time, you may want to start a little smaller than the FJR just to see if you like the style. If you go straight from the Sportster to the FJR, just watch the slow speed stuff. Either way, you should have a good time.