Is the FJR the culmination of your dreams in a motorcycle?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice to see a young guy mapping his way into the future according to the bikes he wants to own.
Relatively speaking, I am not old, but I am certainly not young. :glare: However, when I was riding my FZ1 from 2001 - 2006, and now while riding my 08 FJR, the years fall away. :rolleyes: My older parents simply don't understand the motorcycle thing (and it was Dad who bought my brothers and I our first minibike). The best way I can explain it to them is that all my worldly aches and pains vanish when I'm riding a tight technical section at 8/10ths. I feel young because the motorcycle I am piloting feels young...powerful...and capable of very high performance in my experienced hands.

But what the hey! You're young, so have at it. Change your bike as often as you can afford. Own two or three at once if you can. Someday (sooner than you think), you will be watching the young guys doing what you are doing now. With God's grace and a little luck, you will be around to enjoy them.

Peace...
I find riding to be the one activity that removes from mind the pressing issues of my potentially over-ambitious career. If I had more space in my garage I would keep several bikes, but right now I think two is the limit. I also find that I use age to justify the idea of getting a bike which I know will be nowhere near as comfortable as my FJR. After all, I reason, I won't be able to consider the wild notion of using a 1098 or other super sport as a touring platform in a few decades. That's clearly why I need a 1098...right?

no, I already have another bike that handles better, is efi smooth as silk, and shifts just by thinking about it, and much more my size....But!...The main reason i have the fjr is for 2 up ability that is still fun for me to ride! And I like it better than all of the competition!... it would be $% near perfect for its role if it didnt have that crappy efi calibration and a nicer tranny.

I doubt the fjr will ever be my perfect bike as its way big and heavy for my preferred solo riding, But hopefully the next version is my perfect 2 upper ! otherwise a v5 vfr will be my perfect bike if they ever make it...

Last edited by a moderator:
"Honda has turned all gay the past 5 years or so, anyway. **** 'em."

Exactly. More than 5 yrs. They used to be the innovative leaders in bikes. Now they make bikes that people can do without. They are just observers in the motorcycle industry.

Remember - FOLLOW THE LEADER. They sure don't.

As an overall, everyday bike...it's pretty close. I can see myself owning my 2004 for a lot longer...unless something really compelling comes along (C14 wasn't it).

I'm waiting to see what the Gen III offers when it rolls around. :clapping:

I've owned a few bikes and ridden many more....and the FJR is the most comfortable bike for my 6'8" 270 pound frame, that will still scream through the twisties. I can't imagine a bike that would fit me better. With my large size and extra weight I can flick the FJR over in the corners easier than most people can flick a smaller sport bike over, and when we hit the straights, I love watching them shrink in my rear view. My wife loves the FJR, and I was proud to have infected her with the "bug" when she asked for her own bike last week! Anyway, perfect or not, it is MY dream bike, and I plan on spending many, many, more happy miles with her.

I too am very interestde in what Yamaha is going to do for there Gen III bike. I also like what I am hearing about Suzuki and the possibility of entering into the sports touring market. That Busa engine is a monster and would have my attention if it came to market.

Latest posts