Is the FJR the culmination of your dreams in a motorcycle?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my feejer, but...

1. for $14,000 you shouldn't be restricted to one ugly Dr. Pepper color.

2. if you're going to use pencil-eraser size turnsignal indicators, it should have auto-cancelling signals that cancel when you upshift. You always upshift coming out of a corner and how expensive is one small switch on the foot lever?

3. The low speed throttle response shouldn't be so damn sensitive. Fortunately it's nothing a G2 Ergo cam couldn't fix.

Other than that, it's pretty damn sweet.

My dream bike was a Beemer. As a kid in Philadelphia I'd walk down Market Street to the BMW dealership. Back then (the 60's, I think), it was the white pin striped boxer twin that touched my soul.

Truth be told, I'd have sprung for a Beemer this time around except that the nearest dealer is Albuquerque, which is some 260 miles from Las Cruces, NM. Sooo, as of last year I'd had my heart set on the Honda ST 1300. But after lots of research I realized that a bike with a bad rep for high speed wobble had no place in my garage. (Personally, I like the looks of the Honda better than the FJR, but only with the bags on.) So, after lots more research I decided on the FJR. I've got nearly a thousand miles on my '08 Raven. Am loving it more every day. Only negative thing I have to say is the gearbox is not as smooth as my previous bikes (including my 2001 Harley Fatboy!). However, I feel sure my shifting will get better as the miles mount up.

LOL! When I went to Femmoto, I rode all kinds of bikes (with of course the best one being first and last, since I went on the FJR). One of the MotoGuzzi reps handed over a bike to me with a studied warning to be careful with the throttle. He felt that I was going to be very impressed with the power that this bike had to offer. It had SEVENTY FIVE horsepower. It was a nice enough bike, but was wasn't an FJR.
Jill
The Guzzista are hilarious. I got sucked in by the story of the journey to the arctic circle. If I weren't of Norwegian descent, I wouldn't have fallen so foolishly. I owned my Norge for 3 months, and that was all I could stand. 3000 miles of fun, drama, mystery, adventure, and heartburn. I was glad to be get it, and I was gladder to be done with it. I usually have 3 to 5 bikes in the garage, so the Norge's drama wasn't ever a show stopper for me.... just for the Norge.

Is the FJR my dream bike? No. I dream every night. In my book the next bike is always the best bike. Although I've been married to the same woman for 33 years, I am fickle about my motorcycles.

I really like the FJR a lot. I think it represents an excellent value when you consider how many folks are willing to discount it, especially out year models. I had planned on picking up a leftover '08 K1200GT at the end of the year, but I doubt that I do that now. I can't think of any reason why it would be better than the FJR, unless it turns out that I need dealer support and it isn't there. I'm not so far from D&H that I couldn't use them if I had to, so it probably won't be an issue. I've gotta drive to get good BMW service too. If there aren't any issues, I'll do routine stuff myself, at least until the warranty is finished. How's this for a serious commitment? I called Mr. Hopper at D&H today and sent him a check for the 48 month Y.E.S. $389 and you've got 5 total years of factory coverage with unlimited mileage. That's almost unbelievable. Thanks FJR Forum!

All the above having been said, the FJR isn't perfect by any means, but for my needs, is the best of the current offerings. . -Warchild

Thanks for that Warchild.

Gunny to the extreme!

After two months and less than 2500 kms I have decided that the 08 FJR is not the culmination of my dreams in a motorcycle. I am not going start bashing the FJR, I know a lot of people love it and the opinions expressed on this forum is the main reason I decided to get an FJR, but if I had known two months ago what I know now I would not be the owner of an FJR.

After two months and less than 2500 kms I have decided that the 08 FJR is not the culmination of my dreams in a motorcycle. I am not going start bashing the FJR, I know a lot of people love it and the opinions expressed on this forum is the main reason I decided to get an FJR, but if I had known two months ago what I know now I would not be the owner of an FJR.

Better sell it quick :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: I sure you can find some one to take it off your tingling hands. I have have had mine for less than a month and have more miles than you. Added a little weight to the end of the bars and no real problem especially when running some where close to legal.

For me, it's not a perfect bike, but it's an excellent combination of power, handling, and value. There are areas for improvement (who's stupid idea was it that the key always has to be used to open the saddlebag, and close the gas tank lid??). But it's better than any of the three BWMs I've owned, and I'm happy with my purchase.

No bike is the culmination of everything, at least since I was 18 and lusted after the VFR 750. That was the most beautiful bike ever made, IMO. I understand that this is not really true, but it was/is to me.

The VFR is an excellent bike, but if the '09/'10 comes with some decent upgrades, I will trade it in. Self canceling turn signals, cruse control, a way smoother throttle, smoother low end power, (I do miss the V4 low end power) tire pressure monitor. All easy things to add. Oh, and candy apple red.

That said, it is easily the best ST out there, and the only street bike I am liable to own. Even if the Concours gets refined over the next few years, I could never own a bike that is called "Connie". "Feejer" is bad enough. I prefer to call mine Big Chief.

Next year, I will likely pick up a BMW dual sport, either the 1200GS or the new 800GS. With that and the FJR in the garage, I will be happy. For a while.

Dang, you can't let it go at that. Lots of different people out there, and lots of different bikes. If one bike was perfect, and everybody had one, how boring would that be? So though I wub my FJR, I would like to hear why you don't love yours. Presented in a nice, non-confrontational way of course. ;)

I thought that I would ride sport bikes forever.I came off of a Blackbird,which for it's intended purpose I felt was the finest sport bike around. My first FJR,2005 was excellent. My 2007 is even smoother with no heat issues at all. So for my old ass the FJR is only a windshield that doesn't buffet and standard heated grips on all models away from perfect! The most comfortable bike I ever rode though was a R1200GS.

The Guzzista are hilarious. I got sucked in by the story of the journey to the arctic circle. If I weren't of Norwegian descent, I wouldn't have fallen so foolishly. I owned my Norge for 3 months, and that was all I could stand. 3000 miles of fun, drama, mystery, adventure, and heartburn. I was glad to be get it, and I was gladder to be done with it. I usually have 3 to 5 bikes in the garage, so the Norge's drama wasn't ever a show stopper for me.... just for the Norge.
For someone who has lusted after a Guzzi, I'm curious what the problems were with the Norge?

There are so many varieties of bike styles, riding styles, and riding terrains that I doubt if there will ever be a perfect bike.

My 01 4Runner isn't the perfect truck or road trip vehicle. But this past Sunday when I was exploring the forest service trails in the Rockies, 4wheeling thru mud and rocks, then indeed it was perfect for that situation. My 4Runner has a high-durable and sophisticted 4wheel drive system that is "perfect" for true off-road situations, including the snow in winter time. But it's not the perfect vehicle.

If I was going on a road trip I'd rather have a wing or road king.

If I was gonna carve up the canyons then a Ducati or Suzuki 650.

If I was gonna push the limits of speed and acceleration then a hayabusa.

If I was gonna cruise around Denver on a Fri night with a date then it's a victory or hd.

If I was gonna go around the world then a vstrom or bmw enduro.

If I wanted to ride something to impress every living creature around then a boss hoss.

If I want one bike that includes all of these: work commuting, day trips, errands, weekend exploring, 2-up, agility, slow-speed manuervability, extreme acceleration, excellent braking, easy maintenance/farkling, $13k or less - then it's the fjr.

The fjr probably isn't the top bike in these categories. But, imho, it's the perfect bike that combines all of these categories.

The FJR isn't "better" of "perfect" than other bikes. But it is "feejer-liscous" and no other bike in the world has it.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, my FJR Sux:
I was warming my bike up sitting on the centerstand this morning parked next to a tree. I noticed a high pitch squeal/screech for a fraction of a second when starting the bike.

I shifted 55 times in a minute; then the throttle got too sensitive; the seat was too hard, my grips were too hard the throttle spring was too hard and it started ticking and roasted my left leg so I put the sidestand down to take it off the centerstand. I pulled the front brake lever in until it touched the grip. The front end clunked and I stripped the oil pan while I was gently squeezing my anti-lock brakes like an orange to keep them from locking up.

When I was lowering it off the centerstand, the sidestand collapsed and it landed on my metal slider which broke my frame causing my Metzeler tire to fail and both sidebags to unlock and fall off. The car swerving into my lane couldn't hear my wimpy horn and there was no grease on my spline. It was wobbling at 48.5 mph and the buzzing was making my hands numb. I couldn't hear anything 'cuz of the static in my intercom.

The glovebox wouldn't open and the suspension was too mushy. My cover wore the paint off the tops of my mirrors. Then I got yelled at by another rider on a group ride

Picking it up, I tore my bicep, wrenched my back, both knees and got monkey butt.... :lol:
HARUMPH

For someone who has lusted after a Guzzi, I'm curious what the problems were with the Norge?
There's not enough room here for the list, but here are a few of the highlights. I do hate to hijack the thread though.

1. Dealer said bike had sight glass for oil checking (it does not). To check oil you have to remove three covers with brittle tabs, its a 20 minute tedious job.... or you can buy Noel Cassidy's dip stock removal tool and flex the fairing to get the dipstick out through the opening at the head.

2. Dealer said he had Axone diagnostic tools, which Guzzi requires for service of their current models. He did not. Not only didn't he have Axone, I would bet that fewer than half the dealers have it. I called every dealer from Tennessee to Maine last summer trying to get my throttle position sensor reset. I found maybe 3 or 4 dealers in 1300 miles who had the gear, and of these only one (Seacoast Sportcycle in Derry, NH) who could work me in.

3. Since dealer didn't have Axone to do correct service, dealer fudged around with attempted mechanical solutions to electrical problems.

4. Right side turn signal lens was ordered with correct part numbers. Correctly numbered bag arrived, with left side lens inside. Parts manager said "Oh, we've seen this before. I'll order the left side, and it will contain the right side part." Sure enough, he was right.

5. Moto Guzzi specs Agip 10W60 4T full synthetic for the oil. No one carries it. I finally got a case from the importer in Connecticutt.

6. Moto Guzzi says they offer 24/7 roadside service.... but they don't send any follow up after the sale, and they don't make it easy to get the number. I don't know what would happen if you called the number. Reports from others who needed the service were generally poor.

7. There is a wire in the headlamp that gets melted causing shutdown without warning. Some folks had this happen at 80 mph in the left lane.

8. There are a handful of excellent dealers who are out there on their own supporting this marque. Seacoast is one. MPH in Houston is another. Steelhorse Classics in the Williamsburg, VA area is another. If you call the dealers on the Piaggio USA Moto Guzzi web site, a large percentage of them will say "I'm sorry, but we don't carry Moto Guzzi anymore."

9. The Norge rear suspension is way too soft, so that it scrapes with only mildly aggressive riding two up.

10. When I wanted to trade the Norge on an 08 BMW at the BMW/Moto Guzzi/Ducati dealer where I bought it, the owner blew off our appointment and sent his son to deal with me. The deal was "No, we don't get many calls for the Norge any more. I wouldn't want to take it in trade." This was from the selling dealer, and I wasn't even asking for him to take a bath... I expected to take the bath myself. I ended up at BMW of Daytona Beach where I was treated excellently.

11. Norge has serious chronic decel popping issues. It bothers the daylights out of a lot of the pillion passengers.

12. The Norge is advertised with 95 hp, but I don't know where they find it. Maybe indicated hp. It isn't brake hp. I doubt that it delivers 70 to the rear wheel.

13. The heated grips had a reputation for failing if you used them.

14. The rotors had a reputation for warping if you really grabbed a handful of front brake.

15. They come from the factory with out of spec TPS so they can pass emissions. This affects the access to the whole fuel map.

16. The seat was horrid.

17. Trying to get the onboard computer display to change to set things like clock, reset mpg, etc. was a hit or miss operation. The buttons worked correctly about a third of the time.

18. You can't see the display very well under a lot of lighting conditions.

19. The electric windshield adjustment mechanism had a terrible reputation for failing with very minimal use.

20. I know there's more, but I sold it early last November, and I've distanced myself quite a bit. I've had three new bikes since then. Two of them have gotten to stay. No bike I have EVER owned has distinguished itself like the Norge. What an expensive POS.

Moto Guzzi is the Harley Davidson of Italy. Its the oldest continuously manufactured Italian marque, and they're still doing air/oil cooled twins. Function always follows form with both companies. You buy a Moto Guzzi and become a member of the Guzzista Apologista, or you move on. I moved on. Life's too short to be making excuses all the time for why this or that on your bike doesn't work like its supposed to.

In fairness, I should also say something good about the Norge. It was a very pretty bike with an unusual appearance.

quote "I do hate to hijack the thread though."

Dude, this thread aint the only thing you hijacked

Okay, as long as my employer has so graciously provided me with this computer and internet access I'm going to chime in here. I've been lurking about now for sometime just soaking things up, reading about farkles, problems with ticking, steering heads, too much weight, seats (there is a correlation there) and so on... All I have to say my Feej works great. Everytime I get on it, I like it more than the time before. Is is perfect? I don't think I'd know perfect if it slapped me in the face, nothing is perfect. I've searched 52 years for it and not found it (well once almost, but then I fell asleep). I'm generally one who likes to farkle things up, my cage for example is a Mercedes CLK500, I've lowered it with Eibach springs, put a Remus exhaust on, wheels, tires ad naseum; but I'm having a hard time thinking of what to do with the Feej. That tells me it's fine, oh I might put some handle bar tassles on someday or some playing cards on the spokes but for now it's just fun to ride, fun to look at and (I was going to save this for Friday) fun to wash. Yes I wash it, I've named it, I sit on it in the garage and go Vroom -vroooom. And by the way ... wait... [SIZE=8pt]my boss just went by, ssshhhhh. Better get back to work for now[/SIZE]. :rolleyes:

I have an '06 AE. Bought in the crate in Jan 08 for under 10 grand. I haven't owned many bikes, but I've been riding for over 30 yrs.

My "dream" bikes were R1150 and ST. Thought long and hard about the old Connie more times than I care to mention without pulling the trigger. Really liked the Sprint ST. In a sub-litre class bike it was VFR or nothing. Never even considered the FJR.

But the deal was great, I did my research, found this site, and pulled the trigger. It isn't perfect (what is?), but after 7000 km (since late Feb) I'm convinced that this is the bike for me. Smooth. Powerful in spades. Comfortable. Pretty damn good straight out of the box, but with a few readily available and not too pricey mods, I think I've found the bike that I'll keep until I wear it out.

Your bike, like your SO, is a very personal thing. What works for one may be the pits for another. But I can't imagine getting rid of the FJR, and whatever does eventually replace it in the barn will have a tough act to follow.

My 2 cents, YMMV and all that crap....

Griff

Latest posts