Is the new Tom Tom Rider FINALLY here?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with you Pants... I use my 660 to get from A to B. Building a map on some other program and then trying to get it to integrate correctly has stumped me. I finally wrote it off as a PITA I don't really need. It should be way easier, but it's not.

Part of my problem is that I can't get the MapSource disk Garmin sent with the unit to work for shit. 90% of the time, my computer won't recognize it. Loading stuff from Garmin is a time consuming hit or miss PITA. My cellphone has automatic updates...A satellite fed GPS that runs almost $1k should be able to do that easily, yet it doesn't.

I

But... it doesn't have Bluetooth. so what, I says. The new headsets will pair directly to your phone, and other than lack of XM support, why would you really need Bluetooth via your Zumo?
Funny, no bluetooth is a total deal breaker for me. My eyes are bad enough, especially after a long day on the road, that I just can't focus fast enough. But my hearing is just fine.

If the Montana had bluetooth, I'd buy one today. So instead I'll continue to nurse my 2820 along.

Bloody Hell Macatrophy! Were you following me round Northumbria? Extended family holiday at Beadnell on the coast so I took the FJR for some me time and had a good ride round. Most of those pictures I recognised.

I think Northumbria is a relatively undiscovered gem.

Exactly...Why on earth doesn't the Montana have Bluetooth? My stupid insulin pump has it, my phone has it, my daughter's tablets have it, but a GPS that will be used on a MC doesn't have it. It's like the design guys at Garmin go to classes on how to be stupid. They seem to be excelling at it too.

Bloody Hell Macatrophy! Were you following me round Northumbria? Extended family holiday at Beadnell on the coast so I took the FJR for some me time and had a good ride round. Most of those pictures I recognised.I think Northumbria is a relatively undiscovered gem.
Saw very few bikes up there, so I don't think I saw you. I was only following my Tomtom (to keep on topic
wink.png
), routes prepared on Google Maps then put into Tomtom as itineraries.

Some very nice roads and scenery there, though a little on the bleak side (but then I like "bleak").

SWMBO was doing a needlework course in Wooler, so, like you, I went up on the bike for some "me" time. We stayed at a pretty awful B&B just south of Alnwick which somewhat spoiled the experience, but I really enjoyed the riding, and (more importantly) She enjoyed Her course.

[edit]

If anyone's interested, my Northumbrian routes are shown here, rides recorded by Tomtom then put onto Google Maps.

[/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Bungee, a Montana can be hooked into a com system that supports wired connections. I run mine through my Starcom now. Just not wirelessly. Agree that t Bluetooth would be a nice feature, though personally I almost always turn off the volume on my Montana so I am not bothered by the voice prompts interrupting my totally awesome Barry Manilow "Oh Mandy" solo.