Is this a record?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over and over and over a crash is reported, only to turn into an ABS discussion, which is good, really-few technological upgrades have appeared since the invention of the motorcycle that has impacted the science of accident avoidance like ABS. I, for one, had never considered it, in fact, had a non-ABS feej all set up, but the one that appeared had it, and so it became mine. I have yet to explore it's capabilities to any great extent, but have seen it's benefits in odd ways-like not crashing when the bike (non-ABS) in front of me did, both of us entering the same corner, same speed, and running into the same scenario-but with me up and him down. Many are the laments written from hospital wards that mainly consist of "my next bike WILL". Rare, I mean REALLY rare, does the following occur....."My, a truck rapidly decelerating directly in my path. I do believe rapid and decisive braking action is called for. I shall apply the front and rear brakes similtaneously, with maximum effort, in order to save this situation. Carefully modulating the rear, I shall skillfully prevent rear lockup, applying pressure to a degree right at the edge of available traction, whilst also applying just enough pressure forward to allow for some degree of manueverability, that I might steer clear of this ever looming obstacle preventing my forward progress. Oh, that only a fellow rider might be nearby to observe this ample evidence of my mad skiLLz". No, almost always it's [SIZE=24pt]HOLY ****!!!!!![/SIZE]. At the track, a rider is at the top of his/her game, always aware that they are running at the limit of the bikes and their ability; like many things in racing, there is little resemblace to a street environment, so it just doesn't apply. Even V Rossi would be, I would imagine, startled into panic mode should a deer suddenly appear before him on a Sunday ride through the countryside, skills or no skills, he's in trouble if he applies race behavior to a very unracelike scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear you and your lady are okay. In my opinion I do agree ABS would have certainly been a plus in your situation. As has already been mentioned I also agree your crash was most likely preventable by watching where you were going.

ABS; in my experience the ABS on my 05 has already paid for itself several times. At least a few times while driving in the rain I have felt the ABS kick in when I had no idea I was close to lock-up with my brakes. My most recent use of ABS was last week when I was driving back from Eugene to where I live in Southern Oregon at 1AM. I made a bad choice of roads when I turned off of I-5 to take a shortcut on Hwy 227 which meanders through hills for 50 miles.

Seems like every deer, skunk and raccoon in the county was out that night enjoying the full moon. Naturally because of the critters I backed off on my speed. I drove through a corner at 45mph that I sometimes take a double that speed during the day. When I was just starting to straighten the bike up on my exit a deer decided to streak across the road in front of me like he was fired out of a cannon. In a microsecond I stood the bike up and crushed the front brake. I didn't even have time to hit the rear brake. This was a totally panic but somewhat controlled situation because I was looking for it to happen all the while I was on this road that night.

I remember seeing the deer's shoulder and rib cage as a target area. I also remember thinking; try to stop even though I was too close and too fast to stop in time. Since the deer was running I was hoping to slow enough to allow the deer to pass in front of me. I also remember being surprised when I didn't smack the deer's shoulder. I will give the bike credit as it remained rock solid steady and didn't go down when I ran over the deer's hind legs. At this time a thought went through my mind "I like this bike" I really thought I would go down.

When I critiqued myself afterwards I thought if the deer hadn't been so far out into the road or had been standing still I really think I would have whacked the throttle instead of grabbing the brake. Hopefully I won't ever have an opportunity to find out if I would.

One last possible contributing factor in my incident is the 05 FJR charging system. It was cold and I was using my electric vest. I tried to use my PIAA driving lights but they pulled my volt meter down to 12.8 volts so I turned them off. It is possible with the driving lights I would have seen the deer sooner and could have avoided my panic situation. The electrosport stator is going on this week.

Bill

The electrosport stator is going on this week.
Y'all are just tryin to cost me money. WTF is that and where do I get one?? Hmmm?? **tapping foot** Being an FNG to Feejers is getting expensive as hell!! Out with it, where do I get one. It has sport in the name so I know I need it!! :yahoo:

Y'all are just tryin to cost me money. WTF is that and where do I get one?? Hmmm?? **tapping foot** Being an FNG to Feejers is getting expensive as hell!! Out with it, where do I get one. It has sport in the name so I know I need it!! :yahoo:

Thanks, **ads to shopping list**
I think the UPS man is starting to look alot like santa claus, ever notice that??
Er, maybe. List to date.....

Fenda-ExtendaSuperbrace-Polished Gull Wing w/protectors

D&D Risers

Vista-Cruise

Audiovox CCS-100 Electronic Cruise

BMW Sport Grips

Wilbers Fork Springs

Cox Radiator Guard

B Riley Highway Peg Mts, Powder Coated Engine Cover Color

Kuryakin Iso-Peg Highway Pegs-Large

Uni Oiled Foam Air Filter

Dale Walker Holeshot Header and Polished Muffler System

Dynojet Power Commander III USB

Corbin Long Carbon Fiber look seat

Garauld Custom Quick-Mount Backrest Color Keyed

Piaa XTreme White H4 Headlight Bulbs

Hella FF50 Driving Lights W/Covers

Cee Bailey +4+4 Windshield

Cee Bailey Headlight Covers-Clear

Wilbers 640 Rear Shock and Spring

R1 Shift Lever

RSG Sliders

V-Strom Handguards

Magnetic Drain Plugs -Eng and Final Drive

Garmin GPS
And I'm not done yet. ;)

Thanks, **ads to shopping list**

I think the UPS man is starting to look alot like santa claus, ever notice that??
Er, maybe. List to date.....

Fenda-ExtendaSuperbrace-Polished Gull Wing w/protectors

D&D Risers

Vista-Cruise

Audiovox CCS-100 Electronic Cruise

BMW Sport Grips

Wilbers Fork Springs

Cox Radiator Guard

B Riley Highway Peg Mts, Powder Coated Engine Cover Color

Kuryakin Iso-Peg Highway Pegs-Large

Uni Oiled Foam Air Filter

Dale Walker Holeshot Header and Polished Muffler System

Dynojet Power Commander III USB

Corbin Long Carbon Fiber look seat

Garauld Custom Quick-Mount Backrest Color Keyed

Piaa XTreme White H4 Headlight Bulbs

Hella FF50 Driving Lights W/Covers

Cee Bailey +4+4 Windshield

Cee Bailey Headlight Covers-Clear

Wilbers 640 Rear Shock and Spring

R1 Shift Lever

RSG Sliders

V-Strom Handguards

Magnetic Drain Plugs -Eng and Final Drive

Garmin GPS
And I'm not done yet. ;)
I think you should get the 641 Wilbers. It's more expensive and looks cooler.

Silverrado slick: As all has said hope you and mrs. slick are doing just great and not letting

the self guilt trip get to you. What you did by waching the beauty of what this little ole earth has to offer is very common riders to enjoy the beauty as well as the ride.

When you are following a truck or car on a two lane road and they decide to stop for no known reason it nothing but panic. Some things are a given in situation like this and the most important is time and decision making which results in a panic reaction and no school can teach you or predict what you will do. So do not beat your self up over this incident. I have caught myself doing the same thing and have had close calls.

The only thing you could have done other than go in the ditch or maybe find room on the rightside of the truck to get by is increase your stopping distance by going in the on comming lane or get to the shoulder ( if no traffic comming ) and use that for your emergency run out for breaking. But this is a split second decision and would be hard riding two up.

As far as ABS they would have help how much will never know. You just may not have had as hard of impact instead of lets say 40mph it may have been 10mph.

I say you did a pretty good job in braking and controling your bike in a situation like that.

Hope to see both of you on the road again and on another ride.

:D weekend rider :D

I think you should get the 641 Wilbers. It's more expensive and looks cooler.
Enough hijacking, but for this-I plan on upgrading the 640 to 641 on it's first overhaul. Oh, and +1 on WR's post.

I've come to the conclusion that the more one adds to a scoot....the more he/she is trying to cover up inability to ride one. Am I wrong? Should I start my own thread on this? Are you farklers' nervous?

Cdogman--- since you have an 06, you may not need an aftermarket stator. The 06 puts out 100 more watts than the 05. The 05 is 490 watts and the 06 is 590 watts. Check out the Bin-o-facts

Cdogman--- since you have an 06, you may not need an aftermarket stator. The 06 puts out 100 more watts than the 05. The 05 is 490 watts and the 06 is 590 watts. Check out the Bin-o-facts

Mebbe dude but it does not hav ethe word "Sport" I its name

Fenda-Extenda
nd so on, sick sick man

Latest posts