Is this wrong?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mscott

Reaction score
A neighbor gave me a trunk that had fallen off his ST1300 paneuropean and had been replaced by insurance. So I fabricated a mount and installed it on my 04. Once I got it situated, and wife approved, I did the bodywork on it and ordered colorrite paint for it. I painted it yesterday, and will apply the clearcoat today.

My question is...Do you think it's wrong to have a Hondaline trunk on a Yamaha?

P6260395.jpg

P6260399.jpg

P6260400.jpg

I think it has good lines that work well with the bikes lines. And the extra brake light is a nice touch.

It does look pretty good on the bike and what diff does it make as long as it works for you and is safe. Now that yellow purolator filter is a different matter all together. :unsure:

The OEM rear rack is not rated for much weight. How much reinforcement did you add? I wouldn't put much weight in it till it has been reinforced.

The mount that I fabricated does not use the rack. It goes through the tail(hard decision there) and bolts to the subframe in three places. It is 3/16ths steel with steel spacers. The plate I fabricated is 1/8th inch T6 aluminum laminated to a 1/8th inch hard plastic sheet. It is VERY sturdy. Trust me, I wouldn't want my wife leaning against it if it were of questionable strength.

P7100415.jpg

The mount goes through the body and bolts to the subframe on front, and uses the racks bolt hole for the rear.

P7100413.jpg

The plate had to be designed to fit the trunk, and yes, there is an oops hole in it. The extra lock that came with the bike was addapted to the Honda trunk, so it's keyed to the bike.

I'm seriously impressed. I wish I had the knowledge, skills, and tools to do that kind of work. It looks like it's made for the bike and will hold a ton of stuff - ideal for long trips. Nice work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprisingly...I think that looks better on the FJR that it would on the ST !!

The lines are about as close to a perfect match as you could get.

No problem from me using Honda parts on the Yamaha....might be different if it was a Harley part though. :lol:

Where in Douglasville are you? I'm up by Hiram not far from the Kroger on Ridge Rd.

Ray

Works for me. Of course I have the Honda heated grips on my bike at over a hundred dollars cheaper.

Thanks guys. I was a little worried that it might not sit well with some of you. It's good to get approval from people who's avatars show the bike with the Givi trunk. Kinda like the cream of the crop of trunks. Having trouble with the clear, it crawled on the "wing", so that's a do over! Sucks... :angry2: Oh well, you're gonna have that! :rolleyes:

It look very nice on your Feej, and your fabrication and painting skills are to be commended!

Besides, who cares what others think? It's your bike, your time, and your efforts to make it better.

I do agree that the lines of the trunk are visually pleasing on the FJR. Looks like it was made for it.

Nice job!

Don

As a former Aircraft Structural Repair Technician for many, many years, That looks Top Notch! :clapping:

It looks like it can be approved by the F.A.A. to Fly! You must perform many happy Test Flights!! :lol:

Yeah, but it's a Honda part...your bike won't won't corner worth a hoot now. That's a fact jack.
tongue.gif

Looks good though.

Nice job,

W2

Excellent job on fabricating that mount! Wish I could do shit like that... When I attempt something like that, it comes out looking like something Homer Simpson made. :dribble:

That box looks nice on the FJR. I bet that'll hold a lot of beer... :drinks:

I WAS!!! Impressed till I saw the (o)OPS hole...

Scrap the whole damm bike I say,, Send i there.. I will do it for you in my garage, take me a few years tho,, Umm, and I will need the keys so I can move it out of my way from time to time