Is Yamaha Listening

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we're stuck with the made-to-order PDP program, why can't Yamaha offer factory options/upgrades? Upgrades that I would have ordered for my '04 include such things stainless steel brake lines, cruise control, shock, and heated grips. It would have been fun to "option out" a new bike from the factory and I would have fewer spare part cluttering up my garage.

For me, this bike is almost perfect. Things I would address would be...

1) Cruise control

2) Better seat- My 06 seat is better than my 04. I don't know how they can 'fit' every ass.

3) more horsepower-this bike is a real slug (just kidding)

Here's everything I want from Yamaha...
2007gtr1400.jpg
Concours replacement? Gotta article to go with that image?

There ain't no article yet. That's simply a very good "artist's conception" edit job. The GTR1400 is either motorcycling's hottest rumor, or Kawasaki's worst-kept secret.

:)

There ain't no article yet. That's simply a very good "artist's conception" edit job. The GTR1400 is either motorcycling's hottest rumor, or Kawasaki's worst-kept secret. :)
Yes, there is an article on GTR1400 pg. 31 of the May, '06 issue of CW (still nothing confirmed). With the discontinued Connie, it is highly probable that the GTR will be in the ‘07 line-up.

136583386.jpg

…oh and here’s my wish list: :dribble:

1.) Less weight (at least 75 lbs)

2.) Sixth gear trani

3.) More aggressive ergos

4.) More HP

5.) Larger alt. for the farkle gurus

…Looks like Kawi may have an answer in 2007?

There ain't no article yet. That's simply a very good "artist's conception" edit job. The GTR1400 is either motorcycling's hottest rumor, or Kawasaki's worst-kept secret.

:)
Yes, there is an article on GTR1400 pg. 31 of the May, '06 issue of CW (still nothing confirmed). With the discontinued Connie, it is highly probable that the GTR will be in the ‘07 line-up.

136583386.jpg

…oh and here’s my wish list: :dribble:

1.) Less weight (at least 75 lbs)

2.) Sixth gear trani

3.) More aggressive ergos

4.) More HP

5.) Larger alt. for the farkle gurus

…Looks like Kawi may have an answer in 2007?
There will be three things that people will complain about:

1) Screen is too small

2) No cruise control

3) stock seat sucks

Other than that, people will ride the hell out of it all whilst complaining.

I called Yamaha USA once, they gave me an address to send a letter to. It must have worked, the 06 had most of the things I asked for. Sorry for not asking for Cruise! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, the wishlist thing..

1. a storage compartment that'd hold something beget than a pack of cigarettes....

2. A NAV system that would inter-phase with the info display screen

3. A built-in BLue tooth communications system enabled w/Phone & Sirrus, with optional Helmet w/speakers & mic....w passenger to passenger communications and plug ins.

4. a 6 plug 12 volt outlet for plugins with 3 for full time power and 3 for power with the ignition on to plug all your crap into.

5. Built in Tire pressure & temp reading & warnings

6. Adjustable rear passenger pegs...(already spent $90 for some)

7. a $5,000 option that would enable you to upgrade to another motor that wouldn't buzz the hell out of your hands and feet for those who have the money and GIVE A DAMN...

8. Adjustable on the fly suspension.....

9. distronic along with electrical cruise of course...

10.A Fold up rear sissy bar that'd be part of what that thing is now on the rear. It'd be about 12" high, and you could fold it straight up in case you need to strap a bag of groceries onto something to make it home or you could attach a little pad to it, to lend some rear back support for a passenger when needed...otherwise it'd be keep folded down flat.

11. A maintenance guide on the computer to tell you when it's time for service...

Can you tell I've owned a couple of Lexuses or not?

Hey, don't forget, the same company who makes lexus makes Yamaha....so I ain't asking for that much!!!

Ok, the wishlist thing..
1. a storage compartment that'd hold something beget than a pack of cigarettes....

2. A NAV system that would inter-phase with the info display screen

3. A built-in BLue tooth communications system enabled w/Phone & Sirrus, with optional Helmet w/speakers & mic....w passenger to passenger communications and plug ins.

4. a 6 plug 12 volt outlet for plugins with 3 for full time power and 3 for power with the ignition on to plug all your crap into.

5. Built in Tire pressure & temp reading & warnings

6. Adjustable rear passenger pegs...(already spent $90 for some)

7. a $5,000 option that would enable you to upgrade to another motor that wouldn't buzz the hell out of your hands and feet for those who have the money and GIVE A DAMN...

8. Adjustable on the fly suspension.....

9. distronic along with electrical cruise of course...

10.A Fold up rear sissy bar that'd be part of what that thing is now on the rear. It'd be about 12" high, and you could fold it straight up in case you need to strap a bag of groceries onto something to make it home or you could attach a little pad to it, to lend some rear back support for a passenger when needed...otherwise it'd be keep folded down flat.

11. A maintenance guide on the computer to tell you when it's time for service...

Can you tell I've owned a couple of Lexuses or not?

Hey, don't forget, the same company who makes lexus makes Yamaha....so I ain't asking for that much!!!
Get a Gold Wing! :p :p :p :p :p

1. Electronic Cruise Control (it's a sport/TOURING bike for pete's sake)

2. Smoother Shifting (but I'm getting better at it!)

3. Bigger Windshield (06 improvement is still not enough for touring)

4. Heated Grips standard on the A model.

5. Larger amount of adjustability on the handlebars.

The FJR is pretty much fine.

Make the seat more comfy (the internal material used), add a cruise control, and give it more power for electrical add-ons.

Other than that, the bike is fine. Do not increase the size of the engine or the windshield.

The bike is fine, don't ruin a good thing.

Oh.....make sure that AE shit is only an option and don't go any further with the LBS.

Leave the bike alone, except the seat, cruise and electrical.

Anyone not happy with its ergos and performance is on the wrong bike.

How about making prospective owners pass a test to be sure they're a non-whiney personality type?

j/k

Anyone not happy with its ergos and performance is on the wrong bike.
…well if they build the “right bike"… (see photo below) this would certainly grab the ST community and shake it up a little.

Below is the old ZZR-X concept back from ‘04. It was said to have a computer-graphic instrument panel that you could change like the “desktop” on your computer, shaft-drive, ABS and hydraulically adjustable handlebars that go up-down-forward-back etc.. Would love to see this in production over the concept GTR-1400. OR… wouldn’t it be great if we could have two ST models (dreaming of course): One a SPORT tourer (Like the ZZR-X concept) and the other a sport TOURER(current production FJR) to please a wider market audience. Come on Yamaha…how about something like this to add to the mix?

Kawasaki-2004-ZZR-Xb.jpg

How about making prospective owners pass a test to be sure they're a non-whiney personality type?

j/k
So you wouldn't wish for less vibration in the pegs and seat?
I'm confused. This is the smoothest bike I've ever owned. Of course, I came from a 1977 BMW and everything is relative. That said, I have to ask, "what vibration in the seat and pegs?"

j/k
So you wouldn't wish for less vibration in the pegs and seat?
I'm confused. This is the smoothest bike I've ever owned. Of course, I came from a 1977 BMW and everything is relative. That said, I have to ask, "what vibration in the seat and pegs?"
I came from a Concours, so I don't notice the buzz. But some others have: '06 buzz through the bars, Does yours?

I am with OV. I have an 06 and I honestly do not know what buzz you are speaking of. Of course now I will get paranoid and try to find it... Thanks!

C'mon kids, people have been making noise about a 6th gear since '01 when the bikes first came out on the other side of the pond and '02 for here. 4300 rpm is about 75 mph on the pre-'06 bikes, (I don't know for '06 bikes, but probably a little less rpm for that speed). Now, the rev limiter is 10k, so you're still under half way though the rpms. WTF do you want a 6th gear "cruising" overdrive for?

Yamaha reads these forums. Keep wishing for this crap and you'll end up with a $20k FJR. If you wanted a $20k bike, they already exist, you just bought the wrong brand. :wacko:

Seats? Quityerbellyachingalready. Your butt is unique to you. No seat will fit everyone the way you want it to. Frankly, if you folks simply rode more, the seat wouldn't feel as 'bad' to you as it does. Part of the issue is you not being used to the seat itself. I put 22k on my FJR before I bought a custom seat. And I only did it then because it got uncomfortable after 600 miles a day and I wanted more comfort for extended rides. I am not saying this should be the case for everyone, but people that whine that the seat prevents them from riding for more than an hour or two need to toughen up by riding more or explore different riding pants/skivvies.

Smoother shifting? :baaasmiley: So, you want someone else to ride it for you? Someone with more experience on a FJR? This complaint is all about the rider, not the bike. Go practice some more. :rolleyes:

Windshield? Geeze, half of you want it larger, the other half smaller. Again, nothing will please everyone. Every bike out has aftermarket screens available for it. Every bike.

Cruise control? Yeah ok, I do have to admit it seems strange we couldn't order that option. It's not like they didn't already have it on other bikes Yamaha has sold. (Venture).

One thing that came up in this thread that I do wholeheartedly agree with is the ordering of specific options. If we have to wait 6 months for the bike, you'd think we could at least pick from the standard color palette offfered for the rest of the world, never mind additional options.

In the end, we will do things to our bikes to make them suit our specific needs and desires. This will almost always be the case. After all, stock sucks. :lol:

Of all the vehicles I've owned over the years, only one remained stock because it did everything I wanted it to do so well. But frankly, I never used it to it's potential either. At least I'm using the FJR's abilities over a wider range than I did for most of my other vehicles. :biggrinsmiley: