Is Yamaha Listening

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C'mon kids, people have been making noise about a 6th gear since '01 when the bikes first came out on the other side of the pond and '02 for here. 4300 rpm is about 75 mph on the pre-'06 bikes, (I don't know for '06 bikes, but probably a little less rpm for that speed). Now, the rev limiter is 10k, so you're still under half way though the rpms. WTF do you want a 6th gear "cruising" overdrive for?
Yamaha reads these forums. Keep wishing for this crap and you'll end up with a $20k FJR. If you wanted a $20k bike, they already exist, you just bought the wrong brand. :wacko:

Seats? Quityerbellyachingalready. Your butt is unique to you. No seat will fit everyone the way you want it to. Frankly, if you folks simply rode more, the seat wouldn't feel as 'bad' to you as it does. Part of the issue is you not being used to the seat itself. I put 22k on my FJR before I bought a custom seat. And I only did it then because it got uncomfortable after 600 miles a day and I wanted more comfort for extended rides. I am not saying this should be the case for everyone, but people that whine that the seat prevents them from riding for more than an hour or two need to toughen up by riding more or explore different riding pants/skivvies.

Smoother shifting? :baaasmiley: So, you want someone else to ride it for you? Someone with more experience on a FJR? This complaint is all about the rider, not the bike. Go practice some more. :rolleyes:

Windshield? Geeze, half of you want it larger, the other half smaller. Again, nothing will please everyone. Every bike out has aftermarket screens available for it. Every bike.

Cruise control? Yeah ok, I do have to admit it seems strange we couldn't order that option. It's not like they didn't already have it on other bikes Yamaha has sold. (Venture).

One thing that came up in this thread that I do wholeheartedly agree with is the ordering of specific options. If we have to wait 6 months for the bike, you'd think we could at least pick from the standard color palette offfered for the rest of the world, never mind additional options.

In the end, we will do things to our bikes to make them suit our specific needs and desires. This will almost always be the case. After all, stock sucks. :lol:

Of all the vehicles I've owned over the years, only one remained stock because it did everything I wanted it to do so well. But frankly, I never used it to it's potential either. At least I'm using the FJR's abilities over a wider range than I did for most of my other vehicles. :biggrinsmiley:
:clapping: :yahoo: :clapping:

I heartily agree with OCFJR,

Yes, I know there are those of you that will regale me about if no one had complained about the valve guides, it would of never been fixed. I know you will tell me about the heat issue.

I had an '05 and I didn't have a problem with the heat...and I live in Texas, the average temp. from June to September is 96-112 degrees. My perception is the '05 didn't put out any more heat then my ZX-11 or BMW RT 1150.

Those issues where actual "mechanical defects/problems" that warranted being looked at and resolved. If my memory is correct it was somewhere around 6% of the FJR's that experienced the "ticking" problem.

All this carping about windshields, seats, paint colors, etc., etc., sounds like a whining contest. Look at the width and breadth of people who own this bike. Some are barely 5'3" inches others are 6'8". Some weigh 105 lbs and there are others pushing 320 lbs.

With all the junk some of you want to put on as standard equipment, the thing might as well be a Goldwing. Remember this is a sport touring bike not a full dress tourer.

OK, so I admit having the option of cruise control can be nice when droning down the interstate to get to the twisty turnies.

Not everyone wants or needs communication gear, GPS, radar detectors, extra lights. That can be accomplished quite well with the farkling that many have done....with the components you want, not some cheap OEM peice of excrement.

Just as OCfjr stated, yes, Yamaha could build a bike with all that stuff, adjustable suspension, cruise control, built in GPS etc., etc., and you would pay 19,000-22,000 dollars for it...and I bet you still would be happy because it wasn't exactly perfect for you, and the whining would start all over again.

Check out a document called the U.S. Constitution, there's a paragraph in there that says..."the pursuit of happiness"....NOT THE GUARANTEE OF HAPPINESS!

Just as we all have different size hands and some are peoples hands are better fitted to a Glock as opposed to a Sig Sauer, to a 1911, to a Beretta, etc., etc., you have to find what fits you.

There is a saying in the Marines, you adapt and overcome! :tomato2: :stop: :russian_roulette: :trinibob:

What smc and oc said. Besides....whining is gay. Just ask radman. Don't ask rad....he's already in trouble for being confused with an ass. LOL.

+1 oc and smc

About the options, having more options will raise the cost of the bike even if you don't happen to order them. If the FJR did come with several paint options, optional cruise, etc. then that will add to production costs. There are some things I would change for me personally, but for $11,500 I think I got one hell of a motorcycle. Look at Goldwings, there is a bike with options, and yet they how many unfarkled wings do you see? Keep the price down and let the farkling begin.

Oh yeah, sixth gear. It has been documented numerous times that this bike tops out at 155mph, what exactly do you want 6th for?

1. Self cancelling turn signals

2. Cruise control

3. Helmet locks

That's about it for me! - OHFJR

+1

I'd want the same thing. Not looking for the factory to make something that would fit me like a glove as that's not realistic. Just looking for certain things that I know already exist on Yamaha products would be nice.

Windscreens seat etc can all be addressed with aftermarket to suit a individuals specific needs. IMO.

A few color options for us poor ol' colonials would be nice though. B)