It has been so long now

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stop the negative thinking. I often wonder why Deer and Armidillos cannot adjust to natural selection ( stay the hell off the road )! You can't compare the FJR to a Harley - they're 2 different animals. The good news is that ,by statistics , you're chances of getting into another mishap are slim.

Hey DC,

I've had the same experience, but I was in the shop and Ziggy was forelorn and forgotten in a buddys' garage. Oh sure, he was started and rolled around once a week and put up the front of still being the useful steel ( ok, aluminum ) horse I love and gloat over. Long before the MD's said I was good to go, I went...and due to the pain it truly sucked. But really it was just me trying to live up to a memory. Once I got back in the NOW of things...and healed up proper like...Me and Zig started our relationship anew, and its been new each time since. The funk WILL leave, your desire to ride might wane but you'll feel better soon and willing to once again savor that rolling meditation we call Thrust Lust. Keep your chin up DC, you are better than you know.

We are Blessed to know you,

and we are thankful,

Much Love,

Bobby

Thanks everyone! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was busy today playing 1984 F250 mechanic, and just got back to reading this post.

What I was trying to say is that, at least for me, if something isn't in my here and now, I seem to easily forget it. Almost as if it never existed. This is perplexing to me, especially for things I really like to do.

An example - I love to race MX. The feeling of closing the gap on the guy ahead of you and just knowing that 'I OWN you, bitch!' uhh, err, 'bastard', "you will be mine in 2 corners", is one of the greatest feelings in life. Yet I haven't truly twisted the throttle in anger for over a year now. While I remember it, it's just that.. a memory.. Not the here and now I alluded to earlier. It simply does not exist in my current world.

Perhaps it's all a part of evolution and adaptability. I've always been able to do well, even in the worst of circumstances. Through really tough times, broken bones, threat of cancer, loss of numerous riding bud's in one horrible accident, two ex wives, once the 'here and now' is gone, it just doesn't seem to hit the neurons and remain 'real' any longer.

Perhaps this is not a curse but a blessing. Could this be the reason we all ride street, some of us twist the throttle in anger on road race or dirt tracks, and others contiune to jump out of perfectly good airplanes, even knowing that others have paid heavy prices for the very activity I (you) are about to do?

Does any of this make sense to anyone but me? I wish I was a better writer. My thoughts are much more eloquent than the final output of written words.

I was busy today playing 1984 F250 mechanic, and just got back to reading this post.

What I was trying to say is that, at least for me, if something isn't in my here and now, I seem to easily forget it. Almost as if it never existed. This is perplexing to me, especially for things I really like to do.

An example - I love to race MX. The feeling of closing the gap on the guy ahead of you and just knowing that 'I OWN you, bitch!' uhh, err, 'bastard', "you will be mine in 2 corners", is one of the greatest feelings in life. Yet I haven't truly twisted the throttle in anger for over a year now. While I remember it, it's just that.. a memory.. Not the here and now I alluded to earlier. It simply does not exist in my current world.

Perhaps it's all a part of evolution and adaptability. I've always been able to do well, even in the worst of circumstances. Through really tough times, broken bones, threat of cancer, loss of numerous riding bud's in one horrible accident, two ex wives, once the 'here and now' is gone, it just doesn't seem to hit the neurons and remain 'real' any longer.

Perhaps this is not a curse but a blessing. Could this be the reason we all ride street, some of us twist the throttle in anger on road race or dirt tracks, and others contiune to jump out of perfectly good airplanes, even knowing that others have paid heavy prices for the very activity I (you) are about to do?

Does any of this make sense to anyone but me? I wish I was a better writer. My thoughts are much more eloquent than the final output of written words.
Put down the scotch, Carver. Tomorrow's Monday. A workday. Reality. Remember that? :p

I've heard that with the onset of the "elder stages" of life, the memory is the second thing to go. I don't remember what the first was. :huh: :dribble:

It could also be that at a certain point, we accumulate so many memory/knowledge scenarios in our minds that we tend to compartmentalize the thoughts so we can prioritize and react as needed.

Eye dunno, eye isn't sew smart. Mebbe yew knead tuh sea un perfeshunal? :unsure: Er mebbe goe rydin'. :yahoo:

Don... Crzy8, like my FJR, went through a deer strike with you, and stayed upright. Doesn't she deserve another chance? It's obviously a platform you're comfortable with or you would've just freeked and gone down.

What I was trying to say is that, at least for me, if something isn't in my here and now, I seem to easily forget it. Almost as if it never existed.
in infant psychology that's known as object persistence. early on, if an infant can't see something, it no longer exists in their reality. iirc some version of dementia also produce this symptom. you didn't hit your head or get old or anything. did you? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
If your service manager is correct, you should have Crzy8 back home again today, and all your questions will be answered. Will it be like the first time? Probably not. Things rarely are. But it will no doubt feel familiar throwing a leg over it again. You enjoyed it before, so, odds on, you'll enjoy it again.

As to things fading with absence, some who study these things say our 'reality' consists of a moving window of about six seconds. Anything before is already memory, and beyond is all unpredictable future. The best circumstance is to try to live completely in those six second increments (hard to do).

So, when you climb aboard Crzy8 again (today, or at least soon), try to stay in that six second window and all will be good again.

Thanks, I haven't riden in four or five days as the weather and work at work and home has kept we too busy - Another few days and I might just forget if the FJR is even in the garage.

So I'm leaving work now to go ride and recharge my batteries and memory so I don't forget.

Makes perfect sense to me. although I don't really twist the throttle in anger, but in exhilaration. I never did any real racing, but used to do a lot of TSD sportscar ralleys. My thing wasn't anger to beat the other guy, it was a hey, I made it and iI beat you or didnt', I dont' care, I just love the speed! or the sensation of being while I'm driving or riding, I guess it kinda depends on what you are doing.

I even have trouble remembering where I rode what last year. Jeep? Harley? FJR? I can remember the Triumph rides. Only two of them and I went east, not west. Everything else was west and south. More than once for about half of it... this year... ain't went no place... :eek: ( But there's always next year!

I actually have to look at the map... only 18 months or so, but seems a lifetime ago.

Mary

I even have trouble remembering where I rode what last year. Jeep? Harley? FJR? I can remember the Triumph rides. Only two of them and I went east, not west. Everything else was west and south. More than once for about half of it... this year... ain't went no place... :eek: ( But there's always next year!I actually have to look at the map... only 18 months or so, but seems a lifetime ago.

Mary
Mary,

Hope things get better for you in the next few months... it seems all to many are under many stresses in life with little respits to hold onto.

May the Force be With You..

I too am waiting for my bike after I dumbassed it on a corner (I mean lets call it what it is) The Ins co is still "evaluatiing" the fixit costs for a determination.

But alas, the ice on the road would preclude me from riding anyway for now.. I want my bike back!!

Ignorance is bliss. I think it's important not to forget the things that mean the most to you in life. I know people who deal with things by forgetting, especially in painful situations. But I'll remember the important things, who/what touched my life, happiness/pain it brought, the lessons I learned along the way. If you hop on the ole FJR and don't find the same love affair, well first I would give her a chance to earn your love back. Then, if you must, let her go. But dont forget all of the joy she brought you!

I love to twist the throttle...never in anger...always in awe! As for jumping out of a perfectly good airplane...they never made one...and I can't wait to jump again! I've never felt more alive than during those few final moments standing on the strut with nothing but lots of air below! The 'rush' is in the here and now...the memories are left behind to make you smile. Perhaps...as my father used to tell me...YOU THINK TOO MUCH!

Last edited by a moderator: