It's A Ticking!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK,I need some opinions here from tickers that have been repaired.

I went to the shop to check on my bike and they are waiting on a gasket before they do any repair.I was told all guides and guide seals will be replaced.

I asked the service tech whether they were going to replace any valves and he said no.Well i guess i need to call cypress and talk to them about it, it seems to me that the exhaust valves are probably damaged from floppig around in those sloppy guides.Any opinions????

trimmantom - on mine they are replacing all the exhaust valves and guides along with the exhaust valve guide seals.

I agree with the premature wear on the valve due to flopping.

I am hoping I get mine back this week.

UPDATE: 12-19-05 1230 hrs.

Just got a call from the dealer and they are putting the bike back together and it should be ready to pick up Tuesday afternoon.

I have Wed. off so will go get it then.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke to my dealer this morning and he informed me that the exhaust valves would also be replaced.That is a relief to know.

But they didn't have new cylinder head bolts ordered.

I did inform them per their service manual that they were one time only bolts.

So i really don't know when the repair will be completed.

I was forced to ride my wifes bmw r1100rs yesterday with ga.cyclerider and afew of his buds up in north ga.Nice 50 degree weather for a couple hundred miles plus.

Well guys, the update on my bike is this.

Have you all heard of murphy's law?

Right before new years i was thinking I'd get my bike back.

I'd spoken to the service rep and they were putting the head back on the bike.

I was hopeful,I called the next day.Guess what, the mechanic working on the bike was out sick.I'm still hopeful to get the bike back on new years eve, alas no bike for new years day ride.What makes it worse is the dealership was closed til the 5th for inventory what a bitch huh?I called the next day on the 6th.

Service rep tells me they're hopeful for copletion on that day.

I get a call later and the rep tells me they cranked it up and after a minute it started making an abnormal noise and determined that the timing chain tensioner was bad. He tells me it's a part to be ordered out of Cal. and it'll take 5 days to get the part.(You gotta be shittin me right?) can't you get it overnighted?

Well if i want to pay for overnight shipping yes.

I say no thanks and called Cyprus and talked to those good people out there about getting the part overnighted and they said no problem.

So thats where it stands now maybe i'll get the bike back this week.

You know after going through this experience it seems to me that after an FJR is diagnosed to be a ticker that yamaha would have a parts list and kit to just send out to a dealer and cut this down to a shorter time frame for repair.

Instead they send out parts piece meal and string it out.

I'd like to give people a chance and the benefit of the doubt and the dealer has been real nice but maybe i should be more of an asshat about this,you know my bike has only been sitting over their since nov. 21 of last year,I beleive.

Anyway that's my update.Happy New Years to all.