It's been a long time since I did this...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty141

My name is Smitty.. And I have a motorcycle proble
Reaction score
Installed a Audiovox clone on my new to me 2006 FJR this morning. Back in the glory day's of cruise control, I could do one in less than 3 hours. It was over 5 hours to get this installed under the tank today.

I always find it funny how much a guy can forget after a few years not doing something...

These are still available from Murph's Kits. I have installed both the Rosta and the Vacuum unit's. I think the Vacuum unit is the better of the 2. But that's just me. There are still ton's of Gen 1 and 2's out there, so go put one one...

Smitty
fool.gif

image_zpsxki6s0jv.jpg

image_zpskqmytadq.jpg

image_zpsriiopl0i.jpg

Smitty, you have peaked my interest. I have avoided this for a while but now you got me thinking about it again.

Why do you like the vacuum unit better? Do you also need to buy a cannister when doing this as well?

It it a reasonably straightforward job if not just time consuming?

Smitty, you have peaked my interest. I have avoided this for a while but now you got me thinking about it again.
Why do you like the vacuum unit better? Do you also need to buy a cannister when doing this as well?

It it a reasonably straightforward job if not just time consuming?
I think the Vacuum unit is a bit less complicated to install. Less wiring, plus the servo unit is simply smaller. I never installed a Rostra on a FJR but on a Super Tenere and a Vstrom it was very jerky when setting and would not hold speed well. I did play with the settings, But was never really happy with them.

I always install a vacuum can along with a small check valve. I only hook up to one port at the throttle body with good results. A vacuum can is easy to make, 1 1/2" pvc pipe and two caps. Then drill a hole and screw in a brass barb fitting for the hose.

The hardest part is removing the fuel rail. The screws are very tight, and I use a hand impact to break them loose. This is needed to drill the tang for the cable hookup. I always have a few extra injector seals in my parts bin, just in case one goes MIA. Same goes with the coolant pipe o-rings. I always replace them with fresh ones. That is so you can shoehorn the servo under the tank. It is easy if you place the servo under the seat. but you loose valuable room for tire repair stuff and tools.

Hope that helps.. Smitty

*snip*
I think the Vacuum unit is a bit less complicated to install. Less wiring, plus the servo unit is simply smaller. I never installed a Rostra on a FJR but on a Super Tenere and a Vstrom it was very jerky when setting and would not hold speed well. I did play with the settings, But was never really happy with them.
Any expert thoughts to someone thinking about one of these Audiovox clones on a Super Tenere?

*snip*
Any expert thoughts to someone thinking about one of these Audiovox clones on a Super Tenere?
I put a Rosta on the Tenere I had. What a pain in the butt it was.I had several guys wanting me to do a install on there bikes.. On my bike it was worth the time. But it worked, but far from perfect.The FJR is a cake walk compared to the S 10. Being color blind doesn't help, and cutting into the main loom was daunting.. I think the vacuum unit would be much better.

If you are going to spend your own time doing it it is more than worth it. But I don't think I would do it again.

Smitty

Last edited by a moderator:
*snip*
If you are going to spend your own time doing it it is more than worth it. But I don't think I would do it again.

Smitty
So..

It sounds like I can't ride up and pay you to install one. :(

:) I understand. Don't know what I'll do. Maybe buy a newer bike. WWSM... (What would Smitty do?)

Thanks!

*snip*

Smitty
So..

It sounds like I can't ride up and pay you to install one.
sad.png

smile.png
I understand. Don't know what I'll do. Maybe buy a newer bike. WWSM... (What would Smitty do?)

Thanks!
Sorry Rushes.. Just to much of a pain for me to do twice...

I may be in Oark this weekend. If I head that way I will send you a pm.

Smitty

I did some looking and can't seam to find the kit for the Audiovox clone. Where can I find this, I looked on Murph's Kits and they only had the bracket and springs for the fjr?

I did some looking and can't seam to find the kit for the Audiovox clone. Where can I find this, I looked on Murph's Kits and they only had the bracket and springs for the fjr?
It's under general accessories.

https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=422
Sweet thanks! So at the bottom it has some options to add to the order, what should I get I know very little about these units.
I'll let Smitty answer that. He installed mine. :)

It's under general accessories.

https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=422
Sweet thanks! So at the bottom it has some options to add to the order, what should I get I know very little about these units.
Just buy everything...it's bound to be in there.

Sounds like you might wanna read up.