J&M CB Audio Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Bruce. I don't know how that is working for you Bruce but glad it is. It's always been my experience that it need to be a 3.5 mm 4-conductor TRRS phone connector. I tried mine tonight and was not successful with aux input.

Richouse - I purchase all my J&M gear through https://gearupmotorcycles.com and they have always been the best priced. I think they saved me a $100 off the additional parts you need when i got them. (i am not affiliated with them)

I really appreciate all the response to this. I got an email back from J&M today and they said the aux. port would NOT work with a phone. It was only to carry audio. He said I would have to get that expensive harness to hook up a phone. I guess Bruce has an older unit and the newer ones don't have the circuitry to carry voice over the included cord. I'm happy for you that yours works but it looks like if I buy one and expect my phone to work i'll be spending a grand or so to get it to work. I guess I will keep my starcom Digital for the time being.

If someone can think of a way for me to show you guys it's working I'll be glad to. Normally I have three cell phones (one of which would have to be connected to the bike) and a land line, plus assorted digital cameras, etc. As I mentioned earlier, I've got no dog in this hunt and for me personally it would be better if it didn't work as discribed.

If anyone has an IPhone and wants to do the FaceTime thing I can have my son connect with you and you can watch me plug in the dial another cell or land line in your home. That way you see what I'm doing and watch me talk through my mic while you listen to me on the other line.

I just don't know what else I can do, but I swear folks, there are at least two radios that work as discribed in my workshop as we speak.

I was standing in the workshop (had to let the dog out through the basement) when I read and replied above. I walked upstairs and saw my wife and son standing there so I asked my wife if she heard me clearly and loudly, or did it sound like I was on speakerphone, thinking that possibly when I connected the phone and called her that the speakerphone was auto activated and that I was hearing her through the headset and she was hearing me via the phone that was laying on the fairing. She said that she heard me loud and clear, that it wasn't distant sounding or like I was in an open room, her words. Then my son said "But that would explain how Josh XXXX called me while we were on our BBG and we talked for 20 minutes Dad, or how when I was having trouble finding Drew at a lake house I plugged in my phone, called him and he talked me into the place..."

No. It wouldn't.

So now my curiosity is peaked. I'm certainly not above admitting that I goofed and made a mistake (the speakerphone possibility), and I will find out one way or the other if indeed my J&M is working for cell phone calls, and I am wide open for suggestions on experiments. My wife is going out of town today and won't be back until after lunch on Sunday, which only means I lose the use of one cell phone. At this point I'm thinking that Saturday I'll take my bike to one end of the street and have my son go to the other and we call each other. Easy and simple. But that will be only my word that it worked or didn't, and wouldn't explain how. Regardless, I'll at least do that much to settle my own mind and report back. If someone wants me to call them or whatever, send me an IM with a phone number or two and I'll be glad to do it.

gee, guess you don't use a gps or it isn't blue tooth. plug the J&M into the audio out jack of a gps and you are good to go when pairing the phone to the gps. eezy peezy
My phone is my GPS. I have a TomTom app and a lifeproof case (makes it waterproof).

Food for thought here: Since you brought up bluetooth. I have not been completely clear since I thought it didn't matter. I have a BTM-02 bluetooth dongle for my starcom that I had planned to use with the J&M if I got it. Its nothing fancy, all it does is receive / transmit over bluetooth and sends that information out over a 3.5mm jack that would plug right in to the J&M radio. Although it is made by Starcom I doubt it would care what it is plugged into. I had planned to use this so I would have a wireless connection from phone to J&M unit. What would be the difference between this and bluetoothing to a GPS and plugging the GPS to the J&M unit like stated by Patriot?

I couldn't stand it. Couldn't wait until this week-end, I had to know.

Test 1: After reading the posts here about it not working I went and plugged up my phone to my J&M and laid it on the fairing behind the lockable storage compartment on the left and called my wife. She heard me, I heard her. I heard her tell me I need to trim some bushes here at the house this week-end. Looking back, I probably should have said I didn't hear that...

Test 2: Came home this evening, hooked up the phone and called my son who was upstairs at the time, then put the phone in the lock box and closed the lid. Funny thing... I heard all sorts of racket while I was doing that. The youngin' answers, says he hears me fine. Hmmmm...

Test 3: Same call, told my son I was going to count to 10, don't interrupt me, just let me count to 10 and then I'll ask you something. Started counting, at 5 I unplugged the upper and lower cords and continued to count, then at 10 plugged the cords back up and asked how it sounded. "Fine.", he said. "Did you notice any volume drop or fluctuation?" "Nope, not at all why?" Well now, ain't this interesting... Obviously my voice isn't going through the J&M, but the mic on the phone is picking my voice up!

Now, the boy keeps his iPod and the few times he used his phone, in a net pocket on the rear of his tank bag. What do you want to bet when I ask his buds about the phone calls he mentioned they're going to say they heard a lot of wind noise?

My humblest apologies for passing along wrong information. My heart was in the right place, but the fact is I was outsmarted by a smart phone, which really isn't that hard to believe if you know me, but hey, I'm honest to a fault. It is what it is. The only thing I can possibly think to add at this point is: daaaaamn the mics on those phones work real good...
blushing.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to find a way to watch movies while riding; I ain't distracted enough; at least not yet
Some sort of heads up display that projects onto the windscreen maybe?

I'm asking the question - Why do I need a CB radio these days? If the answer is "if you have to ask you wouldn't understand" then OK, but I am interested in the optimum setup for touring and would like to know the benefits. Thanks guys.

Also interested in the Adaptiv RD and of course the Amplirider (or similar device) to make it all work
smile.png

I'm asking the question - Why do I need a CB radio these days? If the answer is "if you have to ask you wouldn't understand" then OK, but I am interested in the optimum setup for touring and would like to know the benefits. Thanks guys.
Also interested in the Adaptiv RD and of course the Amplirider (or similar device) to make it all work :)
Out west here the answer to the cb question is short of having a sat phone there are lots of areas that do not have cell coverage. Cb is the only way to put out a call for help. That is the reason I got mine with the 4 foot antenna to get the most distance possible.

I'm not familiar with most of the newer units, trunking units, etc. because I've had an Autocom system now for 6 or 7 years and have been very happy with it. For 2-way communications I use a Kenwood TK-3200. I've been thinking about sending my new Shoei 1100 to J&M to have the speakers and mike professionally installed, as previously I've done it myself and have never been happy with it. I talked to J&M's Rep at the Motorcycle Show in Indy in Feb and was told this could be done for about $250.00, which sounded reasonable.

Having said all that, I use my iPhone for music and phone. Autocom supplies a 3.5 cord that fits into the phone where it does all that and the phone itself mutes the music when a call comes in....no problem. However, when another rider chirps in on the radio the system doesn't mute the music so I can transmit and receive. When using an iPod, however it does! I'm sure it's got something to do with the stock lead I'm using from Autocom, and I'm going to give Autocom Direct a call to see if they have a lead which is iPhone specific.

Finally...to the point!

You all have talked about a "ground loop isolator" plug which I think I need because I get interference, or, a hum during the whole process and I'm assuming that this ground plug could possible take care of the noise?

What is a "ground isolator plug", what does it look like and where do I get one?

And...one other thing.....I am constantly harassed by my fellow riders (most of them BMW snobs!! LOL!!) about all the gadgets, cameras, GPS, radar detector, etc. that I have on my bike! They say pretty soon I'll have to be looking for the low clearance warnings on bridges overhead with all the stuff I have stacked up! So...many thanks to you all for the pictures of your bikes with all the gadgets mounted...because I just show them to my buddies and prove to them I am truly a piker when it comes to gadgets! (oh...BTW...guess who's the first to ask to borrow my iPad when we stop overnight or ask where we are on my GPS?)

Thanks guys! (and girls!)

If you need expert help with J&M equipment, don't call J&M and submit yourself to their legendary abuse. Call Sierra Electronics. They know the gear, can repair it at the board level (replacing transciever chips on soldered boards if needs be), and are very nice.

https://www.sierra-mc.com/

No kick backs. Just a happy customer.

Also interested in the Adaptiv RD and of course the Amplirider (or similar device) to make it all work
smile.png
I have a starcom and have been very happy with it. I have hooked GMRS radios to it to talk bike to bike and it worked well. Recently my Dad bought a Goldwing, he traded his old bike and left his starcom on it. The Goldwing has a comm system on it with a cb radio built in. I wanted to be able to talk to him while riding. We had tried cb's with the starcom a few years ago and did not have very good experience with it. I have tried it again now with better luck now. I have a Starcom digital and just used the hand held cb using battery power (not plugged to the bike). It seems to work better this way.