J&M Radio

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am using a 3 foot J&M grounded antenna. I have the excess cable in a circle which everyone says is a problem. J&M states the radio should be grounded to the frame but others say it should be grounded to the battery for the FJR, I am currently using the frame ground. From all comments I think I need to do the following-good grounds, cables away from spark plugs, antenna tuned, bow-tie extra cable, neg. radio to battery, antenna mount grounded. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

My understanding is that you don't want a DC ground on an antenna only a chasis ground. A Dc ground will create a lot of RF interferace. You might want to use a double sheilded coaxial cable to help eliminate RF loss through the coax.

I am using a 3 foot J&M grounded antenna. I have the excess cable in a circle which everyone says is a problem. J&M states the radio should be grounded to the frame but others say it should be grounded to the battery for the FJR, I am currently using the frame ground. From all comments I think I need to do the following-good grounds, cables away from spark plugs, antenna tuned, bow-tie extra cable, neg. radio to battery, antenna mount grounded. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

My understanding is that you don't want a DC ground on an antenna only a chasis ground. A Dc ground will create a lot of RF interferace. You might want to use a double sheilded coaxial cable to help eliminate RF loss through the coax.

You are 100% correct, sir. ;)

I grounded the antenna bracket to the frame.

Just installed a J&M radio on my FJR1300 and it does not seem to be working correctly. I get a ticking sound if the squelch is not set correctly and it is not receiving signals very well. The intercom works fine. I have not had the antenna tuned. How should the extra cable be coiled from the antenna? What should I check? All the cables from the radio are routed under the tank above the engine.
My Dad and I both have J&M's and are happy with them.

The receiving issue has been discussed by other people at length. I'm using the 4ft J&M antenna and my dad is using a 4ft firestick for no ground plane. We never got around to taking it in to have it "adjusted" but it works for us. I'm sure some time with a SWR meter and a bit of fine tuning would gain us a bit more range. But it works for us.

I've noticed the ticking as well. But usually only at idle. Of course I usually have music pumping through the aux-in from my mp3 player and even on the lowest volume it covers up the ticking. So that works for me.

The only complaint I have is the unit is not as waterproof as I might wish. I have had a couple situations where the unit has failed to work because of water infiltration. Granted the rain was a bit severe at those times. But its now happened a couple times. I know they warn you to use the cover over the unit when washing. I've taken to slipping it over the unit while riding when the weather gets severe enough. I've learned to use the buttons "blind" when doing this. I have heard some people use a clear plastic shower cap. So I would recomend keeping the slip cover handy and using it when the rain starts getting heavy.

Other than the water problem I am quite happy with the unit.

- Colin

I had my 3 foot J&M antenna tuned today and the improvement is great. Cut approximately 3" of wire from the top to get a 1.2 SWR reading on channel 19. Before tuning the reading was ~2.5. Moving the wiring from under the tank to the side of the frame eliminated all the ticking noise. System now seems to be working as expected. Thanks for all the recommendations.