Jacket for my Wife.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E1Allen

Youngster
Reaction score
OK, so my wife has been looking for jackets but it seems that none of them will fit her size. We are trying to find a jacket similar to mine(black MotoGP jacket). Cordura with with a rain protection layer and a sleeved insulating layer. Doesn't have to be exactally that but something close anyways. Trying to stay away from expensive/mesh/leather. She is 5'11" and 120lbs. It seems like the jackets she finds, if the sleeves are long enough, then the midsection is too big. and if the midsection fits the sleeves are too short. Probably wont find a perfect match but maybe someone has run across a good jacket that meets any of that stuff.

Thanks,

Eric

if the sleeves are long enough, then the midsection is too big
Try kids, that will temporarily (about 6 months) cure this problem. When the problem comes back you will have so much other crap going on you will forget all about it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so my wife has been looking for jackets but it seems that none of them will fit her size. We are trying to find a jacket similar to mine(black MotoGP jacket). Cordura with with a rain protection layer and a sleeved insulating layer. Doesn't have to be exactally that but something close anyways. Trying to stay away from expensive/mesh/leather. She is 5'11" and 120lbs. It seems like the jackets she finds, if the sleeves are long enough, then the midsection is too big. and if the midsection fits the sleeves are too short. Probably wont find a perfect match but maybe someone has run across a good jacket that meets any of that stuff. Thanks,

Eric
Eric, While I am no tailor, I think you will need to find a womens jacket. Have the ones that you have been trying on been cut for a woman? My wife and I recently got our gear at Chaparrel in SoCal, and I was blown away by how much woman specific gear there is now. Most importantly my wife's jacket is cut for a woman, much smaller in the shoulders and tapered through the waist. Any mans jacket large enough for a 5'11" man will be cut for a 44" chest and about 180-210lbs.

While mail order sucks for clothes, it might be the only way to go. We both got the Tourmaster gear. I thought that it was an incredible value.

if the sleeves are long enough, then the midsection is too big
Try kids, that will temporarily (about 6 months) cure this problem. When the problem comes back you will have so much other crap going on you will forget all about it. :)

I already have a 18Month old problem. Thing is she lost all the weight she gained so back to where she started. I'll take a look at some of the tourmaster stuff. But ordering from online does kinda suck, not much to work with.

E1Allen,

Try Newenough.com and see if they have something that might work. If you call them they are very helpful and extremely knowledgable about the products that they carry. Good Luck with your search.

JW

Thanks to Scab, I picked up one of these. When it showed up at the house & was better than expected; I ordered an x-small for the wife (5-3/ 120). Looks like they still have some in stock, can't beat it for $ 45.00 IMHO.

Tom

Eric, While I am no tailor, I think you will need to find a womens jacket. Have the ones that you have been trying on been cut for a woman? My wife and I recently got our gear at Chaparrel in SoCal, and I was blown away by how much woman specific gear there is now. Most importantly my wife's jacket is cut for a woman, much smaller in the shoulders and tapered through the waist. Any mans jacket large enough for a 5'11" man will be cut for a 44" chest and about 180-210lbs.
While mail order sucks for clothes, it might be the only way to go. We both got the Tourmaster gear. I thought that it was an incredible value.
For a more serious answer, I have a hell of a time finding helmets. Either I am fussier than average, have an oddball shaped head (likely) or both. It seems like every bike shop I stop in has the same apparel as the last one. To be fair, from the shop owners point of view it makes sense. To the point, I have to do a lot of internet research, make lots of phone calls, and travel long distances to get gear. To me its worth it.

The point about female specific gear is a good one, find a few coats that sound interesting. If you are lucky the manufacturers website will have a dealer locator, if not more phone calls. Just keep calling until you find someone that has what you are looking for. At this point my wife caves, and buys whatever is closest, I however will hop on the bike and travel a couple hundred miles to look at a pair of socks :lol:

If you can wait a bit you could also try some sort of motorcycle gathering (Myrtle Beach, Honda Hoot?).

You might also try looking at reviews in Rider magazine, they have a female staffer that reviews gear. She is appears to be on the tall and thinnish side.

Here's what I got Fang. Keeps those fists of fury off my back when I open up the throttle with gusto. Actually, generally keeps her off my back....

straightjacket220.jpg

Jb

Take a look at the Tourmaster Transition jacket. Comes in womens sizes and is very competitively priced, $135 - $140 on line...

--G

FWIW my wife has much better luck fitting in mens motorcycle jackets than she does in womens. Who's gonna know as long as you don't tell this bunch of blabbermouths ;)

OK, so my wife has been looking for jackets but it seems that none of them will fit her size. We are trying to find a jacket similar to mine(black MotoGP jacket). Cordura with with a rain protection layer and a sleeved insulating layer. Doesn't have to be exactally that but something close anyways. Trying to stay away from expensive/mesh/leather. She is 5'11" and 120lbs. It seems like the jackets she finds, if the sleeves are long enough, then the midsection is too big. and if the midsection fits the sleeves are too short. Probably wont find a perfect match but maybe someone has run across a good jacket that meets any of that stuff. Thanks,

Eric
My two cents worth... You're either looking for something black, shiny and latex or else a straight jacket :yahoo: ... There ain't much middle ground my friend :blink: