Jacket idea

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best concealed carry holster made IMHO is the Comptac MTAC. Trust me when I say I have tried ALLOT of them. It is comfortable and conceals nicely. I never ride with out it.
https://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_in...;products_id=95
Thanks for this link. Have always carried in a tank bag, but like the looks of this holster setup.

Would rather have a means of defending myself/others and never need it, than to need a way to stop deadly aggression and not have it. I truly pray that I never have to use it.

fyi-just got a Sportsmans Guide catalog today with (TADAH!!!!) a motorcycle jacket built with a concealed carry holster!! :yahoo: (Yeah, I know...too weird). Anyway, it's a traditional style (think Brando in The Wild Ones ) black leather MC jacket for under $200. Not my style, BUT it does seem to be what y'all were talking about :clapping:

As I referred to earlier, Langlitz Leathers has offered this option for a long time in their jackets.

Click on 'Gun' to see their pocket design. More than $200! Last jacket I looked at was $700 in goat skin. I've owned a custom of theirs that I ordered and wore for ten years before I changed to textile. Great product and quality. Used to be standard police choice for moto officers all over the world.
ip5jxx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In your fantasies, exactly what happens that warrants having a readily-accessible gun, or especially two guns, or extra magazines? Just curious. Wish I had as active an imagination as you guys do.
I guess I'm a bit naive but I've never felt the need or been in a predicament where I thought I needed to pull a gun much less two. I do spend time every year touring in your beautiful country and have to say I have travelled many a mile to enjoy the great roads and sights it has to offer.

I know that there is a whole different American mindset towards owning guns and you have the right to defend that of course but please understand that the rest of the civilized world just doesn't quite get it.
I've travel all over the U.S. on my motorcycle and have never had a flat tire..

But I still carry a tire repair kit...

I just figure it's better to have and Not need ,, than to Need and Not have......

And it's OK if, " the rest of the civilized world just doesn't quite get it."

As I referred to earlier, Langlitz Leathers has offered this option for a long time in their jackets.Click on 'Gun' to see their pocket design. More than $200! Last jacket I looked at was $700 in goat skin. I've owned a custom of theirs that I ordered and wore for ten years before I changed to textile. Great product and quality. Used to be standard police choice for moto officers all over the world.
ip5jxx.jpg

OCfjr ,,, from your picture looks like someone stole your thumb & grip safety ,,, :rolleyes:

OCfjr ,,, from your picture looks like someone stole your thumb & grip safety ,,, :rolleyes:
Not my pic, just the web site one. I suspect that might be a 'non-firing' replica that they just keep around for shop use, and yes, it appears to be missing a few parts! :D

terrible idea in my book, unless you intend to keep you jacket on at all times. it is kinda like a woman carrying her gun in a purse, which may be set down at time, which means gun is not in her possession. Same thing would go for the jacket if you stop someplace, you take it off and then gun is no longer on your person. I just carry my Glock in a good in the waist band holster and I don't have to worry about it. I carry mine in a MTAC from the holster maker Comp-Tac.

Haven't tried the MTAC, but use a CTAC inside the waist and a pair of their paddle hosters for IDPA shooting, these guys know a thing or three about holster design. I just ordered two more holsters from them last week to add to my collection, and would recommend them highly to anyone in need of a quality holster.

I prefer a 3/4 length jacket, which makes drawing from under a jacket using a belt holster less than ideal. I'm also not fond of carrying anything along my belt line, because the last time I tested the durability of my riding gear I bounced off my hips and back several times. Subsequent bruising was not pleasant. I can only imagine how much worse that would have hurt with even a pocket pistol between me and the ground. The chest might not be any better, but I think a layer of foam behind the firearm could at least lessen the impact.

Carrying in a jacket is really no different than carrying in a purse. If a person decides to carry in this manner, the jacket should never be left unattended at any time, for any reason (if it is "loaded"). That being said, I know a few women who carry every day in their purses, and you would be hard pressed to get it away from them without a struggle. It is simply a matter of understanding the risks and changing your habits to lessen those risks. It goes far beyond simply never letting it out of your sight, but that is a good start.

As for jacket design, I would like to see a design similar to the jackets offered by Sig Tactical. (But make the pockets accessable from outside the main zipper, unlike Sig's version.) A large chest pocket on both sides, velcro lined for unlimited holster options, and a long vertical zipper close to the jacket centerline. The jacket should have 1/4" or 3/8" thick CE type foam between the pockets and the rider to affer at least some protection from impact in the event of a get-off and subsequent impact. A zipper closure would simply look like another vent zipper to the untrained eye, and easier than velcro to open with a gloved hand.

A pair of large concealed outer pockets like these could be used for things like a wallet or cellphone, not just a gun. A phone in the tankbag is useless when you are lying in the ditch a hundred feet from it. I speak from personal experience on that one.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like a pocket on the outside on the chest with a zipper that pulls down with a tab on the zipper. I have found that velcro does not hold out water very well and you have do the spit, sepparate, slide in hand all in one motion. With the zipper, you just pull it down and your ready to go.

For those that question the reasoning of a CCW- People like us that do carry, refuse to be victims and also refuse to sit on the sidelines whiles cowering down and saying "those poor people" and calling out for help from......you guessed it, somebody else. Well, we are that somebody else. Like some else said, we carry with the hope of never having to use it.

Carl