Jacket / Pants rear zippers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought my first pair of touring pants. Fieldsheer Mercury. I have a couple of jackets. Both Joe Rocket series.

First, I'm wondering if people use the zippers to connect the jacket and pants while riding and if it is actually beneficial.

Second, the zipper on the pants are either backwards or depending on the manufacturer, the zippers may be different or connected differently.

For mine, the zipper zips just fine from jacket to pants (same size). Zipper and receiver is fine....BUT it's backwards. The jackets both zip from left to right. The pants zip from right to left. So am I doing some tailoring tonight or is this a defect?

Absolutely standard.....exactly the same way as cell phone chargers are standard between companies....which to say...NOT!

Beneficial if you're leaned over a bunch in the cold and have plumber's butt. The typical riding position of the FJR...not so much.

Zipping pants and jacket together is also supposed to help keep the jacket from riding up if you ever happen to find yourself sliding along the pavement after a get-off. My Tourmaster jacket and Hein-Gericke pants are compatible, but I've never attached them.

Both of my jackets came with the "other part" of the zipper zipped into place. I un-zipped it, and had it sewn into the riding pants.

You could do the same, find a zipper that matches the jacket, and have the pants zipper replaced with the new one. Or vice-versa.

If they are just backwards, that's simple enough.

In addition to gender and direction of the zipper, length also comes into play. They must be close enough in length so that the pants and jacket line up together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both of my jackets came with the "other part" of the zipper zipped into place. I un-zipped it, and had it sewn into the riding pants.
You could do the same, find a zipper that matches the jacket, and have the pants zipper replaced with the new one. Or vice-versa.

If they are just backwards, that's simple enough.

In addition to gender and direction of the zipper, length also comes into play. They must be close enough in length so that the pants and jacket line up together.
Luckily enough I saved both the opposite zip sides (jackets and pants). It should work out well.

Thanks folks!

Scuba,

I want to thank you for asking that question. Thinking of buying a different brand pant than my TPG jacket by FirstGear and was wondering about that. Cold weather riding is almost here.

I make sure they match. I once read about a guy that got a pizza on his back while sliding. That sticks in my head, so I always zip up.

Scuba,
I want to thank you for asking that question. Thinking of buying a different brand pant than my TPG jacket by FirstGear and was wondering about that. Cold weather riding is almost here.
I have the TPG Escape pants and I like them. The legs don't unzip like my summer pants but they are great for cooler weather.

Anyone that can sew should be able to remove the existing zipper and install new, matching zips. Probably could do it in 20 minutes if you brought in the jacket, pants and zipper (both halves).

I won't just how effective the 8" or so zippers are at holding things together in a slide, particularly when the material the zip is sewn to is VERY light (ala my Olympia jacket).

I used to wear a Gold Belt at the waist. It provided back support and possible protection in the event of a slide.

Scuba,
I have a Tourmaster Air II (?) jacket and Olympia pants - they zip up fine. A retailer that's a bit heavy on ride wear told me that there are several manufacturers whose zippers match, but not all. Try before you buy. I'm a FF/medic and I've picked up a few of the organ donors who don't wear helmets and seen a few road rashes on others. Don't know if the zipper material will hold together in a slide, but I'll zip just to try to avoid those pizza backs........... :dribble:

I always zip up especially when it turns colder out. Keeps jacket down and air from going up the back. Also in a get off i am hopeful it will keep jacket and pants together just long enough.

I also keep the extra zippers when I buy a new coat or riding pants. I have purchased a couple of coats on clearance and they did not have zippers. Nice to be able to add them.

I've been puzzled by this in the past, and could have used a resource to identify Jacket Brands that zip to alternate Pant Brands.

Here's what I've pieced together, so far. Please add to it; if it turns into a comprehensive list, perhaps we can post it permanently.

Zip Left-to-Right:

Joe Rocket

FirstGear

Zip Right-to-Left:

Tourmaster & Cortech

Hein-Gericke

Fieldsheer

Olympia

It's not just the direction of the zipper, either. The coarsness of the teeth might not mesh, etc.

I usually zip my mesh jacket and pants together regardless of whether it'll help or not. If you don't zip it, there isn't even a chance of it helping.

These zips definitely work with each other. They are Cortech GXAir jacket & Olympia mesh pants. From memory they zip left to right.

As winter gear goes, my jacket is a Cycloak somethinorother. There is a heavy duty strap that comes from the bottom of the back of the jacket, goes between the legs & snaps in the front. It looks kind of weird with my new light gray pants, but I'm not that concerned about it. The strap works & works well. I'd trust it in a slide. That's how heavy duty the strap is. Also a plus... I can wear any pants regardless if it has a zipper or not.

It also works well with keeping wind out.

I have Triumph and Fieldsheer pants, but a Frant Thomas and Joe Rocket Jacket. No! They do not interchange. Most companies come with the other end of the zipper to be sewn onto the other clothing article. I had the first professionally done (my mother) and the other was a hack job I did. It works, but it aint pretty.

It's not just the direction of the zipper, either. The coarsness of the teeth might not mesh, etc.
These zips definitely work with each other. They are Cortech GXAir jacket & Olympia mesh pants. From memory they zip left to right.
Good Point, Heidi.

For now, I'll just assume the Left-to-Right zippered brands are compatible, and visa versa. If anyone has experienced that to be false with a particular brand, please chime in.

Updated:

Zip Left-to-Right:

Joe Rocket

FirstGear

Frank Thomas

Zip Right-to-Left:

Tourmaster & Cortech

Hein-Gericke

Fieldsheer

Olympia

Triumph

Chris, Cortech & Olympia are in the wrong column.

I am not sure why more jacket manufacturer's don't use the same method that my Cycloak jacket has. It's a pretty cool feature.

It took me a few minutes to figure out what the strap was for since I'd never seen nor heard of it, before.

I am not sure why more jacket manufacturer's don't use the same method that my Cycloak jacket has. It's a pretty cool feature.
I'm thinking every guy hear can tell you why.

Scratch that, NEARLY every guy here :D