Jan 28th Sat Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From San Juan Capistrano, East side Chevron at 8am, kickstands up at 815am, we should be there before 9am riding down Hwy 5 to 78. How about where 78 (east) freeway ends at that stoplight, is there a gas station there?

I'd join you on Saturday but we're doing that ride to Chiriaco Summit. I'll(we'll maybe) catch you next Sunday for the rerun.

ZZkenoman: I am from N. Calif. and having a ride on the 28th. just like you.

I used a phrase of yours and want you have credit for your choice of words. the words that I used was "kick stands up " I did not mean to plagerize the use of your words, please accept my appology. That phrase is very appropriate for stating a time your are going to leave on your ride and do not lolly gag around.

I am sure I will use it again and you will always get the credit. good luck on your ride............... ;) weekend rider

ZZkenoman: I am from N. Calif. and having a ride on the 28th. just like you.
I used a phrase of yours and want you have credit for your choice of words. the words that I used was "kick stands up " I did not mean to plagerize the use of your words, please accept my appology. That phrase is very appropriate for stating a time your are going to leave on your ride and do not lolly gag around.

I am sure I will use it again and you will always get the credit. good luck on your ride............... ;) weekend rider
Actually my local group coined that phrased "kickstands up" is where I first heard it, and yes it is very useful for everyone to suit up, gloves on, helmets on, and Ipods on to begin the ride on time.

As of tonight the weather looks like a great day to ride saturday!

From San Juan Capistrano, East side Chevron at 8am, kickstands up at 815am, we should be there before 9am riding down Hwy 5 to 78. How about where 78 (east) freeway ends at that stoplight, is there a gas station there?
I'm not very familiar with Escondido, but based on my google search that Chevron is the closest gas station. Anyone else know the area any better?

Looks like I'll have to work both days this weekend so I'm out. Have a safe ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I'll have to work both days this weekend so I'm out. Have a safe ride.
sorry to hear that getsum. maybe you can join us next sunday?

as for those meeting tomorrow at the 15 and 78 there is a exxon at the corner of broadway and missiion on78 in escondido. we will be there by 9am . i will be bringing the folks from oc, and will be meeting at 8am at the east side chevron on ortega (hwy 5 & 74), come early and have coffee at dennys next door . it will be fun!

ZZ man, wish could join you but just can't ride yet. Have a safe ride and keep on setting up these rides, its good stuff!!

Turbodave

Always good to hear from you Dave, I'm glad your in good spirits and getting well!!!!

We had a wonderful ride today, the weather was absolutely wonderful and the views, spectacular. I met up with a new FJR rider (Mike) in San Juan Capistrano, and Jim on his HD. We couldn't wait for those who emailed me, probably because of unexpected errands, so we headed down to escondido about 8:35am. We stopped at the exxon staging area to pickup a couple more FJR's, unfortunately one had to work but SoCalMike met us with his California Smile.

We headed out on 78 to Julian, great sweeping roads, light traffic and got into Julian before the afternoon crowd and had breakfast. We then continued on 78 towards Salton Sea and borrego springs where every buggy and dirt bike was creating there own dust clouds. We had glimps of adrenalin pushing our bikes on the straights with enough throttle to make anyone grin ear to ear!

We reached the Salton Sea where there was a private combat plane doing manuvers over the glassy sea, and quickly rode through palm desert to the 7 corners. We stopped briefly, took photos which we will post in the next few days, and zoomed up 74 into Garner Valley where we had a quick bite to eat at Elizabeths Paradise Cafe. We were hoping to be home by 3pm and made our way down 371 to 79 into temecula.

Until then we had a wonderful ride, then without notice all the traffic stopped, there was a fatal traffic accident ahead. We all turned around and headed south on 79 towards lake henshaw to intersect with 76, which goes into Pala and Hwy 15. Approx 60 miles going between 25 & 45mph in traffic and 3 hours in addition to our ride today, we got back on Hwy 5 north to Orange county and home about 6:30pm.

The Feb 5th Sunday ride will have some revisions, hopefully with some feedback with you Dave, we can refine this trip. Hope to see everyone next sunday!

feb28b.jpg

jan28.jpg

jan28c.jpg

Nice ride guys. Next Sunday I'll be at a Superbowl party so I'll catch you guys on a future ride.

Here's a couple of shots from yesterday:

Jim, Larry, and Mike

IMGP1130.jpg

Gas is "only" about $3.00/gallon. It's a sellers market out where we were.

ca11f23e.jpg

Plenty of dirt bikes and our dirty bikes.

IMGP1133.jpg

IMGP1135.jpg

Jim's a great guy and a good sport. He kept up with us on his HD and the good thing is, he's keeping an eye and asking alot of questions about our bikes.

I think I reconize thoses pictures, is that the desert rose restaraunt in Ocotillo Wells? I've been there many times.I wish I could of been there with you guys, but I couldn't make it.
SilverBullet, I'm not sure what that location is called. We were in (or near) Ocotillo Wells and since I didn't see any other buildings in the area you're probably right about the name.

ZZ, nope I'm not headed back to Vegas (some of us aren't as good at winning as you are so visits to Vegas can get pretty expensive :D ).

Sounds like you guys had a great ride! I went for a short ride and discovered I have a lot to learn about this area. I know the Crest and Malabu alps real well but I was wasting a lot time riding through neighborhoods today.

I'm going to try and make your ride next week; is there a new thread?

Thanks,

Chris