Just got my seat back from Sargent

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangerous Dave

The older I get, the faster I was...
Reaction score
Well I took advantage of the big November 25% off sale that Sargent had on all custom seat work. I sent them my stock front and rear seats and sent along the pad off the backrest I bought from Garauld. I had them Dish the front and narrow the thigh area, plus add their Supercell foam front and rear, Recover in Griptex, and add a silver welt. There was nothing wrong with the backrest pad, but for a measly $13 they recovered it to match the seats. How could you pass that up?? The seat looks fantastic! Unfortunately, they goofed in packing and forgot to put the backrest pad in the box, but they've assured me it's on its' way. UPS package tracking says it'll be here Monday. I haven't actually gotten to ride on it yet...the weather's been miserable here, but I'm darn sure looking forward to it. And the price was unbeatable! Money well spent in my oppinion. Whaddaya think??

2694IMG_2700-med.JPG

Good Job Dave !

I am uhhh...fiscally challenged and am curious as to what you paid for what looks to be an awesome job. 25% off of what ? I opted for a cheapie but effective remedy and bought an airhawk seat cover. I just returned from a 3K trip and it worked great, it was only $150 and I only throw it on for trips longer than 100 miles. It works but sure doesnt look as great as your seat ! Thanks for sharing.

Bobby

Good Job Dave !  I am uhhh...fiscally challenged and am curious as to what you paid for what looks to be an awesome job. 25% off of what ? I opted for a cheapie but effective remedy and bought an airhawk seat cover. I just returned from a 3K trip and it worked great, it was only $150 and I only throw it on for trips longer than 100 miles. It works but sure doesnt look as great as your seat ! Thanks for sharing.

Bobby
Total with shipping and handling before the discount was $345.90...after 25% off (November sale) was $262.66, and that included recovering my backrest pad to match the seat with Griptex and a silver welt. Like I said...what a bargain! And of course it cost me about ten bucks to ship it to them. Still................

BTW, for anyone thinking about having them do a similar job...their "E-111" Silver is an excellent match for the silver side panel on the bike. They sent me color swatches of anything gray/silver that they had. Nothing matched the Cerulean (of course) but this color was a great match for the silver center side panel. It's regular vinyl, they just make it into a welt. So you could get a larger portion of the seat done in that color if you so chose, but I'm not sure how it would look. I'm anxiously waiting for an opportunity to road test this baby.

Thanks for the kind words Bobby.

You paid less for a new one than I sold my used Sargent seat for. Sounds like you got a great deal.

Mike

You paid less for a new one than I sold my used Sargent seat for. Sounds like you got a great deal.
Mike
Bear in mind that this was built on my stock seat pan and most of the stock seat foam. A new from the pan up Sargent is definately mo' money. I think this will do the job though. The advantage you had though was you could indeed sell your sargent. I now only have the one seat for the bike. But it's a nice one. :D

Very nice job, custom to the max. How would they match the blue of an 05??

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice job, custom to the max. How would they match the blue of an 05??
They sent me a bunch of color swatches and let me pic the match. I'd do business with them again in a heartbeat.

Just got the backrest pad back tonight. Looks great! As luck would have it, the positioning of the backrest relative to the seat makes all the lines flow together perfectly! Or maybe it's not luck at all...maybe Garauld designed it that way! The silver welt lines up nicely from the rear seat up to the backrest pad, and the black band around the side is the same width as well from the seat to the backrest. Many thanks again to Garault for the awesome backrest, and to Sargent's for trickin' things out for me. I'm just farkleing right along and it's not even the holidays yet. :D :D :D

Here's the whole combo together:

2694IMG_2703.JPG

I almost rode to work today. Good thing I didn't...they haven't plowed the lot since the snowstorm we had last week and it looks like the lunar surface, but all ice! I'd have never gotten in the lot at all. Maybe they'll get it cleared in the next couple of days. I hope so...I wanna ride!