Kawi C14 Gets Traction Control

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will get a new sport tourer some day, but when I do, I would like one that does not require the mechanical equivalent of open heart surgery to do a valve adjustment.
I have a buddy who said he's waiting for a new bike where you need to remove the crankshaft to adjust the valves...! ;)

Uh oh, traction control is something I could use. <_< Might have to let some other folks sort out the first generation of it though.
I have another buddy who had an ST11 w/traction control -- one day he was showing me some pics of a (then) recent m/c trip and there was his ST11 lying on its side. When I asked him about it he said there was road construction and every time he tried to get the bike through the mud -- the back wheel would spin and the traction control would start shutting-down the engine. Eventually, it just fell over in the mud due to lack of forward progress...! :eek: :(

Good on ya, Kawasaki! Big K has thrown down the gauntlet. The tuning forks guys must have a new FJR percolating. Honda reportedly has a new ST coming out, maybe a 2011. Who is up to the challenge? Dang, this will be great time to be sport tourer!
I agree... Seems like benefits all round for the sport-touring scene.... :)

Me like's me FJR and I'll be sticking with it, besides I'm not real interested in traction control, however the fjr has been the one to beat for years, so they to will be updating within the next couple years. Sometimes more isn't always better IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
traction control may have helped to level the racing field and reduced a few 10th's of a second off a lap but I sure do miss Rossi's smoking the back tire and drifting out of the corners, he who rode the edge the best got reduced to the rest (so to speak) sorry for the rant.

I also like this feature for peace of mind:"Now each Concours 14 comes with one key fob (kept in a pocket) and a small card-type key for emergency/backup use. The new card-type key includes an immobilizer function (but no remote activation) and is highly portable, measuring just 1.2 x 1.6 x 0.25 inch"

The electronic key fob thingy would always make me nervous if I left it somewhere. Good to have a backup.
My friends HD comes with one of these keyless FOBS and a friend of his one day somehow ended up with is key....while zooming down the hwy I guess he got too far out of range and the bike shut down. Kinda scary. Dont know if the Kawi has the same type system though.

Anyone know if Kawasaki addressed the difficulties and expenses with the regular servicing?

I wouldn't even consider the C14 if this is what you have to go through: Change-the-spark-plug blues

Compare that to an hour on my FJR for a plug change. Most of that was siphoning the full tank so it would be light enough for me to lift easily!

'fooz

Anyone know if Kawasaki addressed the difficulties and expenses with the regular servicing?
I wouldn't even consider the C14 if this is what you have to go through: Change-the-spark-plug blues

Compare that to an hour on my FJR for a plug change. Most of that was siphoning the full tank so it would be light enough for me to lift easily!

'fooz
I pointed this out to a Kawasaki dealer yesterday while I was "just visiting" and looking at 2009 model sitting next to a 2009 FJR and a 2008 ST1300.

I also pointed out the more frequent and invasive valve adjustment procedures on the C-14. He would not make eye contact and just muttered something about the "service contract." He seemed a little bit like an idiot or a prick or both.

By the way, the reason the 2010 C-14 looks so good is that it reminds one so much of the 2005/2006 FJR. I think the C-14 design and style looks too busy.

Of course the FJR could stand some updating and upgrading, options etc. But is the new C-14, as good as it is, worth parting with a reliable, swift and sturdy steed like the FJR? No way.

I have ridden both bikes and like them a lot. The heat issue on the connie was excessive. If Kawa has fixed that then I think they a pretty rock solid platform that can only be improved on. I cant wait to ride a 2010 model. If it lives up to the spec sheet there maybe a new steed in my stable.

Good on ya, Kawasaki! Only three years in and they have addressed some important issues. The heat control will be a biggie, if it works well. The windshield goes down when the ignition is turned off, but (get this!!) returns to its former postion when the bike is turned on again! (I don't understand this obsession with having the screen retract when the bike is parked, but at least K puts it back where you had it for riding.) Standard grip warmers - yay! BTW, the grip warmer control looks exactly like the FJR's accessory unit and works the same way, too. The FJR fairing pocket lock requires you to turn the bike on to get stuff out (drives me nuts!) but maybe the C14 works better. But what's wrong with a keyed lock? The price looks pretty good: $14,499 / $15,299, only a $700 premium for ABS.
Big K has thrown down the gauntlet. The tuning forks guys must have a new FJR percolating. Honda reportedly has a new ST coming out, maybe a 2011. Who is up to the challenge? Dang, this will be great time to be sport tourer!

:yahoo:

pete

I must say, I went riding with a new C14 and it's a nice bike. I really think Honda is going to really up the anti though next year. If they do a bang-up job on the ST redesign there may be some Honda converts. The new V4 looks very advanced and should be a winner. If they pull it off, Yamaha and Kawasaki have their work cut out for them.

Man. If I were looking for a new bike this year, I'd probably go C14. Never rode one, but for my type of riding (not really aggressive, more just riding long and far), it'd do the trick and has some very attractive stock features now. I'm always a fan of factory farkles (means they're warrantied!)

But my $$$ is going to REALLY making my FJR my own, and by the time I'm ready to buy a new bike, we'll be waiting for what the FJR Gen IV is gonna be like.

Alexi